Woodwind question!!

mook1525

hello!

I have been reading lots of good reviews on Woodwind and I think I will try them.

I was checking out their homepage and they have two tours for cruise ship passengers... 3 hour trip and 4 hour trip.

Are both tours available everyday? what is the difference? does 4 hour trip include another stop for snorkel? 

most reviews I have seen are on 3 hour tour but I really want to do 4 hour tour..

has anyone done 4 hour tour on a new boat?

thanks!!

We did the 4 hour tour twice this year with Woodwind.  It included two different spots to snorkel around Klein Bonaire, and then lunch after the two snorkel stops.  I'd say we were in the water a total of 1.5 to 2 hours.   It does take time for all onboard to get their gear and get into the water.  If you have specific questions, contact them through their website.  You will receive honest answers.  

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Mapleacres said:

I was wondering if the lunch is included? The website didn’t seem to mention it. Just checking before I email. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have taken this trip 4 times and have always had 2 stop snorkel, lunch and drinks on the way back to their dock.  They are very easy to work with and will answer any questions.

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, topspot said:

We have taken this trip 4 times and have always had 2 stop snorkel, lunch and drinks on the way back to their dock.  They are very easy to work with and will answer any questions.

I have emailed them for the third time. No response. I have also checked my junk mail, nothing. 

On 7/16/2020 at 4:14 PM, holdon216 said:

I have emailed them for the third time. No response. I have also checked my junk mail, nothing. 

They may not be answering emails/working during the Covid lock-down.  Bonaire just reopened to tourism with some restrictions which you can find here https://www.tourismbonaire.com/health-and-safety  I do know that one of the owners was receiving some medical treatment in The Netherlands, but they were still running the excursions and answering emails, but this was back in January when we did a land trip to Bonaire.  If Woodwind doesn't work out for you, and you are comfortable snorkeling on your own, it is very easy to take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire.  We did this one day.  We have our own gear, but there are places to rent gear.  I think they even rented gear on the water taxi.  

• Thanks 1

We have been with them five times and they are far and away the BEST snorkeling operation that we've ever had the pleasure to experience off 20+ islands in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, Dee is battling a disease and they have suspended operations until she recovers.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:14 PM, holdon216 said:

Wim is not running that's another one I wouldn't hold my breath on the Woodwind. Snorkelled Klien Bonaire twice with this outfit great experience both times, don't look for them to be back anytime soon. It's unfortunate. 

Thanks for the info RE: emails/health issues

We were scheduled for December but hope to re-schedule when we L&S to 2021, had not received a reply and had feared the worst as I had heard about Dee and illness a while back.

Hands down the best excursion we've ever done and hope to do again.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean altogether. Did this twice with our CC group we had a great time both times. With that being said I don't see me doing that again.

Staying on the island and renting a golf cart for the day. Been to this island many times have no idea what it looks like unless it was under water. Not anymore, golf cart all over the island.

I'm staying on land next time, doing the golf cart thing. Later Todd

• 7 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:35 PM, topspot said:

They may not be answering emails/working during the Covid lock-down.  Bonaire just reopened to tourism with some restrictions which you can find here https://www.tourismbonaire.com/health-and-safety  I do know that one of the owners was receiving some medical treatment in The Netherlands, but they were still running the excursions and answering emails, but this was back in January when we did a land trip to Bonaire.  If Woodwind doesn't work out for you, and you are comfortable snorkeling on your own, it is very easy to take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire.  We did this one day.  We have our own gear, but there are places to rent gear.  I think they even rented gear on the water taxi.  

Can you tell me more about taking a water taxi to Klein Bonaire? Is there a beach resort of some type or restaurant where you can rent a beach chair to leave your beach bag while you snorkel? TIA for any info.

There are 2 or 3 shade structures on Klein Bonaire, and that's about it.  The island is uninhabited and undeveloped.  The water taxi stops at the island and gives a few minutes to put your belongings on the beach, and then you get back on the water taxi and they drop you in the water to do your snorkel.  You drift with the current back to the spot where they let you put your stuff on the beach.  Water taxi returns to bring you back to the mainland and different times, you decide when you are ready to leave.  It was around 20.00 per person for the water taxi.  Woodwind was around 65.00 for their trip, which included top notch service, lunch and open bar on return trip.    I have seen on their facebook that they are operating as Bonaire is open to tourists from Netherlands.

Edited by topspot

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We booked with them a couple of weeks ago for our April cruise and their response was “Yes we have room for you on our trip from 9-2 ($85/person). Hope that works for you”

ummm, 5 hours! For $85. Ahhh, yeah. 
So, I don’t think you get to pick a tour length because that was never an option for us.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:17 AM, Cruzmomma77 said:

We booked with them a couple of weeks ago for our April cruise and their response was “Yes we have room for you on our trip from 9-2 ($85/person). Hope that works for you”

ummm, 5 hours! For $85. Ahhh, yeah. 
So, I don’t think you get to pick a tour length because that was never an option for us.

Went out with Woodwind in January for the 5th or 6th time.  You will enjoy your day for sure!  

Edited by topspot

I'm so glad to hear Woodwind is up and running and some of you CCers have snorkeled with them!

We have never done their excursion - our May 2020 and 2021 ABC cruises were cancelled and therefore my Woodwind excursions 😞  BUT! We have one this May and I am confirmed on the Woodwind!!  I was a little worried because their responses were so short if they were really back.  We can't wait!

We just went out with Woodwind on 2/25 and had a great time! We had our 10 year old and 7 year old with us and they were great with the children. My daughter, 10, was very nervous. She is a great swimmer and has swam in the ocean many times but all of a sudden is afraid to see what she is swimming with. She spent most of the time on the boat but still had a great time. My son, 7, snorkeled the entire 45 mins both times we went out and still asked to snorkel more. He loved it so much. They had equipment to fit him including a wet suit. He just loved it! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just booked Woodwind for Nov. Yes quick and very short reply. They said to contact them again when it is closer to the date for more info. After reviewing link to Trip Advisor they sent, I was comfortable booking.

MAIN QUESTIONS:  They did not acknowledge or answer.

My hubby has a knee replacement & is fluffy.

Can he get into the water easily without having to squat & sit down on the swim platform as he can't do that.

Can he get out of the water using the steps and a hand rail as he needs a rail to hold onto that he doesn't have to bend over to get to.

Navigating is difficult when you have limited mobility and at 70, limited upper body strength.

Is there a bathroom on board? 

Is there a covered shaded area for him as he will be onboard most of the time.

To those who have use Woodwinds previously and can answer these concerns, A BIG THANK YOU

46 minutes ago, eltigre said:

Can he get into the water easily without having to squat & sit down on the swim platform as he can't do that.

Can he get out of the water using the steps and a hand rail as he needs a rail to hold onto that he doesn't have to bend over to get to.

Navigating is difficult when you have limited mobility and at 70, limited upper body strength.

Is there a bathroom on board? 

Is there a covered shaded area for him as he will be onboard most of the time.

We took a tour with Woodwind in Oct 2018 and had an amazing snorkeling experience.  They run a wonderful operation and were very patient and helpful with novice snorkelers like DH & me.  We booked them again for Oct 2022.  If they are using the same catamaran, which I believe they are, there is limited shade as well as a restroom onboard. While there is a ladder to reboard after snorkeling, I don't recall a handrail but rather a rope to pull oneself up.  I do not believe there is an easy way into the water, unless one is comfortable jumping in from standing or sitting on deck.  Not needing such accomodations, it is possible they were available but simply overlooked by me. I would reach out to them again for clarification.  HTH 

• Thanks 1