Observation Lounge Chair Hogs On Panama Canal Cruise

vpearlkc

On 6/14/2019 at 12:25 PM, TPgal said:

The time the ship gets to start the transit is determined by the POC, so there's no guarantee as to the time.   We started our transit at 5 am (ish) even though it was dark and foggy it was exciting to watch all the action from our starboard balcony as the pilot and other various folks boarded our ship.   

Ours was a partial transit, so we were able to get off and do the rest of the canal in a ferry.  Up close and personal to the locks.  It was an exciting day with a LOT of hurry up and waiting in between each step.   

panama-sailtanker.jpg

panama-wall.jpg

Ours is a partial transit as well starting at 5am.  What time did the Ferry excursion start.  Ours isn't listed yet, it's too far out. 

I am also looking at a full transit that might be doable, but then the ship might be different and some of the ports will be different.  If I keep the itinerary I have now, then we would do the ferry. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, vpearlkc said:

We have booked a Panama Canal transit cruise on the Encore for 2021. Have noticed that the only non Haven place to get a forward view is the observation lounge. Is there a problem with chair hogs on these transit cruises. We have a large balcony but may want to get a view from the front of the ship.  

No.  Plenty of chairs to go around.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

Just because you do not see the person sitting in the chair does not necessarily mean they have disappeared.  There are all kinds of legit reasons why someone may step away from his selected seat for a period of time.  Unless the person who is upset that they did not get there first actually observes said seat going continually unused longer than the allotted time frame, any assumption of the occupant being that mythical creature 'chair hog' is just that, an assumption.

I get the distinct impression that you're a chair hog yourself...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Ours is a partial transit as well starting at 5am.  What time did the Ferry excursion start.  Ours isn't listed yet, it's too far out. 

I am also looking at a full transit that might be doable, but then the ship might be different and some of the ports will be different.  If I keep the itinerary I have now, then we would do the ferry. 

Our meetup time for the excursion was around 8am. We tendered to a parking lot with restrooms (Gatun Yacht Club) and boarded buses that drove us around the lake to the Ferry.  The staff were funny about getting off and said things like "I absolutley would not run to the buffet to get snacks to eat during your long long day, that's against the rules.  You have 20 minutes to not do that - right now."  I already had a bag full of bagels, water, and cold cuts.    We did make one stop on the way from the "yacht club" to the ferry meetup spot - and it was at a superbly clean gas station with a stocked mini-mart and lunch counter.   There was not time for everyone to order something for lunch, but it was hard to tell which line was longer - the loo or the checkout counter for tasty snacks that weren't offered on the ship.

When I did my research I didn't find anything that indicated that we could get off the ship during a full transit.  It is my impression that on a full transit cruise you're on the ship the whole time.   

On 6/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

Just because you do not see the person sitting in the chair does not necessarily mean they have disappeared.  There are all kinds of legit reasons why someone may step away from his selected seat for a period of time.  Unless the person who is upset that they did not get there first actually observes said seat going continually unused longer than the allotted time frame, any assumption of the occupant being that mythical creature 'chair hog' is just that, an assumption.

You are assuming that no one is timing how long the seat has gone unoccupied. Due to the fact that "chair hogs" actually do exist, my husband and I often time how long a seat with items placed on it has gone unoccupied by a person. Sometimes we are sitting near by and don't even want that seat, but will pass the information on to others who are having a hard time finding a seat. Chair hogs are not like unicorns.

• Like 2

If you're looking for a place that quiet and relaxing get a thermal spa pass.  We booked spa rooms because we love the thermal spa and I'd heard that it would be a great place to view the canal during the transit.  We also had a balcony room so we watched from our room, from the open bow area, and from the OL, but during the last set of locks we were in the thermal spa and it was a great view.  My husband and I both relaxed on the heated loungers and it was almost empty.  I'm not sure how crowded it was during the other set of locks but for the last set it was awesome.  And it was raining at that time so it was great being indoors and not getting drenched outside.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:44 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

This is exactly the defense chair hogs use to justify their behavior.  They hope no one will actually stand around and see just how long the mystical creature has "stepped away from his selected seat". 

Those keen to this tactic will indeed stand around for the allotted time.  When the hog doesn't return, it isn't passive aggressive to move the abandoned belongings and claim the chair.

Getting there first doesn't entitle you to unfettered use of the chair at your leisure for the day.  Unless, of course, your tookus is firmly planted in that chair.  You don't get to go for an hour break for breakfast, a two hour break for lunch, a leisurely stroll around the deck and a run back to your cabin for a nap.

Defend the chair hog all you want with the plethora of "What if I'm in the pool? What if I ran to the bathroom? What if I'm gazing at the ocean from the nearby railing?".  Do so for more than 30 or so minutes and you're no longer using the chair. 

Everyone can tell the difference between a hog and someone who has "stepped away".  You prefer that that they not be able to spot that difference.  Well, when people stop being fearful of being threatened (for example, "I pity the fool who touches my stuff - that's theft!") and call out the hogs the behavior will diminish (and you'll lose your chair).

20 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

You are assuming that no one is timing how long the seat has gone unoccupied. Due to the fact that "chair hogs" actually do exist, my husband and I often time how long a seat with items placed on it has gone unoccupied by a person. Sometimes we are sitting near by and don't even want that seat, but will pass the information on to others who are having a hard time finding a seat. Chair hogs are not like unicorns.

This is the best defense to the hogs - the team approach.  We subscribe to it and have enabled many the opportunity to sit in a nearby chair that has been unoccupied for hours.  All the more entertaining is when the hog returns and tries to bully the current occupants with the canned excuse "I was only gone 10 minutes" and I can look them dead in the face and say "I've been here for over two hours and this is the first I've seen you".    The deer-in-the-headlights look is priceless as they pick up their paperback and sunglasses to slither away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

All the more entertaining is when the hog returns and tries to bully the current occupants with the canned excuse "I was only gone 10 minutes" and I can look them dead in the face and say "I've been here for over two hours and this is the first I've seen you". 

Would you also be willing to support the person who actually was gone for only 10 minutes and tell the new occupants that they should find another chair?

The reason that I ask is that the forum seems to group the "gone for 10 minutes" people with the "crack of dawn, don't return for hours" people. They are very different even though the chair with belongings and no body looks the same.

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Would you also be willing to support the person who actually was gone for only 10 minutes and tell the new occupants that they should find another chair?

The reason that I ask is that the forum seems to group the "gone for 10 minutes" people with the "crack of dawn, don't return for hours" people. They are very different even though the chair with belongings and no body looks the same.

I think a number of us have been clear about the difference between leaving for 10 minutes or half an hour and those grabbing a lounge and leaving for hours. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I think a number of us have been clear about the difference between leaving for 10 minutes or half an hour and those grabbing a lounge and leaving for hours. 

But looking at the following post...

4 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

I get the distinct impression that you're a chair hog yourself...

...I don't see how anyone could rightfully assume that "Birdie and Sue" is a chair hog based on what has been posted. 

What I saw from "Birdie and Sue" was that unless someone has seen that the person has not been in the chair for longer than the maximum allowed time, it is an assumption that the missing person is a chair hog. That is not "defending chair hogs" at all. It is defending people who are NOT chair hogs and supporting people who are following NCL's rules. 

Are the people who are willing to call out chair hogs also willing to defend those who are not chair hogs?

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

But looking at the following post...

...I don't see how anyone could rightfully assume that "Birdie and Sue" is a chair hog based on what has been posted. 

What I saw from "Birdie and Sue" was that unless someone has seen that the person has not been in the chair for longer than the maximum allowed time, it is an assumption that the missing person is a chair hog. That is not "defending chair hogs" at all. It is defending people who are NOT chair hogs and supporting people who are following NCL's rules. 

Are the people who are willing to call out chair hogs also willing to defend those who are not chair hogs?

TwoWheels, there are always a couple of nasties/quick-to-judge types, you know that. I for one would def support those who left their chairs briefly. I'm sure some others would and a few would avoid the whole issue. Can't really blame them I guess!

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Absolutely.   It's an entirely different scenario than those who have been gone for more than an hour.

Edited by StolidCruiser

2 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I for one would def support those who left their chairs briefly.

As would I. I'm glad that we agree. 

I just don't support the idea of "...the second you get up, the chair is free for anyone to take..." because that is NOT what NCL states. 

The term "chair hog" is thrown around too loosely. Whenever someone wants a chair and someone else has an item on it (even if the owner is standing 15 feet away at the bar), the person who wants a chair thinks "CHAIR HOG!!". 

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

As would I. I'm glad that we agree. 

I just don't support the idea of "...the second you get up, the chair is free for anyone to take..." because that is NOT what NCL states. 

The term "chair hog" is thrown around too loosely. Whenever someone wants a chair and someone else has an item on it (even if the owner is standing 15 feet away at the bar), the person who wants a chair thinks "CHAIR HOG!!". 

While I agree a very few seem to think the minute you stand up from your chair, you're giving it up.  However, the vast majority understand the term "chair hog" and what/who it represents.

As often as I have mentioned to the weary eyeing the vacant set of chairs beside me that the occupants had been not seen for hours, I have also told similar seekers the occupants had only just stepped away and would be returning shortly.

Common courtesy and decency goes a long way to combat the selfish and inconsiderate.  We outnumber them and could easily squash them if only more of us grew a spine.

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

In that I always let the persons next to me know that I'm going to the restroom and will be right back and could they watch my lounger, I always ask someone next to me when they get up, if they will be back.  If they say yes they are going to X and will be right back, I let them know I'll watch their lounger.  If they say no and left the towel on the lounger, I'll take the towel off the lounger and put it on the floor, so someone else can use it.

18 hours ago, TPgal said:

Our meetup time for the excursion was around 8am. We tendered to a parking lot with restrooms (Gatun Yacht Club) and boarded buses that drove us around the lake to the Ferry.  The staff were funny about getting off and said things like "I absolutley would not run to the buffet to get snacks to eat during your long long day, that's against the rules.  You have 20 minutes to not do that - right now."  I already had a bag full of bagels, water, and cold cuts.    We did make one stop on the way from the "yacht club" to the ferry meetup spot - and it was at a superbly clean gas station with a stocked mini-mart and lunch counter.   There was not time for everyone to order something for lunch, but it was hard to tell which line was longer - the loo or the checkout counter for tasty snacks that weren't offered on the ship.

When I did my research I didn't find anything that indicated that we could get off the ship during a full transit.  It is my impression that on a full transit cruise you're on the ship the whole time.   

Thank you for the information.  I think we’re sticking with the partial and doing the ferry excursion.  The decision was based mostly on time and ports.