Recent Visitors to Grand Turk

jc4me

On our last trip to Grand Turk a few years ago the free chairs on the left side of the port had so many pushy vendors that it reminded me of Jamaica.  Has anyone been to that area recently, and are the vendors bad?  The last time we were there we got our free chairs under a palm tree and hubby realized that he had forgotten his book, so we walked back to the ship to get it.  While he was gone two of the chair/umbrella rental people were about to get into a fist fight right in front of me.  The odd thing is that there was a security guard standing right behind me that did nothing.  I could deal with the other vendors without much problem, but when they start getting violent and I'm there alone with no way to be able to carry everything back to the ship myself, it was a little more than I want to deal with.  On our next trip we go to another beach, but I've always enjoyed the beach right at the port and enjoy snorkeling there.

Go right off the pier for free chairs.  The Beached Whale has also opened up since you were there and so you have access to food and drink. If you're early you can find a lounger under a palmtree.

If you go left to Margaritaville you need to watch where you park.  The first 2-3 rows of umbrellas are the vendor chairs.

Recent thread with picture here.

Edited by crewsweeper

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Go right off the pier for free chairs.  The Beached Whale has also opened up since you were there and so you have access to food and drink. If you're early you can find a lounger under a palmtree.

If you go left to Margaritaville you need to watch where you park.  The first 2-3 rows of umbrellas are the vendor chairs.

Recent thread with picture here.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

No vendors at Governor's Beach, very secluded and not as busy. Jack's Shack doesn't have any vendors bugging you either and the beach area is MUCH nicer. 

Thank you! Do you know if there are restrooms and lounge chairs (for rent) at Governor's Beach?  We've always just stayed at the port or taken a snorkel excursion.

10 hours ago, jc4me said:

Thank you! Do you know if there are restrooms and lounge chairs (for rent) at Governor's Beach?  We've always just stayed at the port or taken a snorkel excursion.

There are restrooms but I don't believe there are loungers anymore.  You'll need to bring your cabin towels.  It is possible someone could be there with loungers for rent or maybe sodas and beer out of coolers, but doubt you'll see anything cheaper than the vendors at the port.  Just not that many people frequenting the beach to make it worth any vendor's wile.

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There are restrooms but I don't believe there are loungers anymore.  You'll need to bring your cabin towels.  It is possible someone could be there with loungers for rent or maybe sodas and beer out of coolers, but doubt you'll see anything cheaper than the vendors at the port.  Just not that many people frequenting the beach to make it worth any vendor's wile.

Thank you!  This helps in our decision!

16 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

No vendors at Governor's Beach, very secluded and not as busy. Jack's Shack doesn't have any vendors bugging you either and the beach area is MUCH nicer. 

Jack Shack is the way to go.  It is a bit of a walk down the beach, however, NO VENDORS!  They have chairs on the beach there, and while there is nothing saying you have to pay, we got some beers from the Shack.  The beach drops off about 20 yeards off shore so the swimming is nice.  I wouldn't hesitate to walk back down there next time we visit.  Just come off the pier, turn left and walk down the beach till you see it.

53 minutes ago, ishap said:

Jack Shack is the way to go.  It is a bit of a walk down the beach, however, NO VENDORS!  They have chairs on the beach there, and while there is nothing saying you have to pay, we got some beers from the Shack.  The beach drops off about 20 yeards off shore so the swimming is nice.  I wouldn't hesitate to walk back down there next time we visit.  Just come off the pier, turn left and walk down the beach till you see it.

Aye! but more than a small ship in port, Jacks becomes severely crowded, service slow, menu limited, and prices are any cheaper than MV or BW down the sand.

16 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Aye! but more than a small ship in port, Jacks becomes severely crowded, service slow, menu limited, and prices are any cheaper than MV or BW down the sand.

We were there last year off the Conquest, which isn't a small ship, and I think another ship was in port as well...still very few people down there.  Maybe we were just lucky.  Still, I would prefer to be down there when it's crowded than right off the pier that is just as crowded.

Usually the first row or two are the vendors...not sure how they managed to move their way into the cruiser area because when we were there a few years ago, they had to be at the very end and there was a sign saying that you were "leaving the cruise area" part of the beach and would be charged for chairs. 

We parked ourselves several months ago in the second row with no issues and watched another company sit in the front and be rushed with vendors and was charged $25 to sit there. Crazy!

PC170488%20copy-M.jpg

Governors Beach is so beautiful and not many people there. 

They did have working restrooms (in a building) and also areas with running showers and running water to wash your feet off. You just won't find any food/drink vendors there. 

Restrooms and showers

P3280283%20copy-M.jpg

P3280287%20copy-M.jpg

Foot washing station

P3280288%20copy-M.jpg

P3280282%20copy-M.jpg

And beautiful Governors Beach

P3280273%20copy-M.jpg

P3280260%20copy-M.jpg

P3280257%20copy-M.jpg

P3280243%20copy-M.jpg

Plenty of shade

P3280198%20copy-M.jpg

Even some picnic tables

P3280189%20copy-M.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Usually the first row or two are the vendors...not sure how they managed to move their way into the cruiser area because when we were there a few years ago, they had to be at the very end and there was a sign saying that you were "leaving the cruise area" part of the beach and would be charged for chairs. 

We parked ourselves several months ago in the second row with no issues and watched another company sit in the front and be rushed with vendors and was charged $25 to sit there. Crazy!

PC170488%20copy-M.jpg

They did have working restrooms (in a building) and also areas with running showers and running water to wash your feet off. You just won't find any food/drink vendors there. 

Restrooms and showers

P3280283%20copy-M.jpg

P3280287%20copy-M.jpg

Foot washing station

P3280288%20copy-M.jpg

P3280282%20copy-M.jpg

P3280273%20copy-M.jpg

P3280260%20copy-M.jpg

P3280257%20copy-M.jpg

P3280243%20copy-M.jpg

Plenty of shade

P3280198%20copy-M.jpg

Even some picnic tables

P3280189%20copy-M.jpg

Thank you so much!  This certainly looks like a possibility.  We can bring some bottled water with us and maybe even a snack along with a beach blanket.  

• 3 weeks later...

Margaritaville sounds like Senor Frogs to me so is it authentic to the island or is it a cheesy tourist trap with bad food like the one in Vegas or the ones in Florida?

What are other options for fun beach bars with good authentic food if Jack's Shack is to busy?  Any options for grilled lobster or conch ceviche  or salad type items or is everything fried on the beach there?  

We are headed to Grand Turk since Cuba was cancelled in FEB 2020 so we didn't choose it and are just looking into it. 

Thanks for your help

16 hours ago, jdemps said:

Margaritaville sounds like Senor Frogs to me so is it authentic to the island or is it a cheesy tourist trap with bad food like the one in Vegas or the ones in Florida?

What are other options for fun beach bars with good authentic food if Jack's Shack is to busy?  Any options for grilled lobster or conch ceviche  or salad type items or is everything fried on the beach there?  

We are headed to Grand Turk since Cuba was cancelled in FEB 2020 so we didn't choose it and are just looking into it. 

Thanks for your help

I can't help you with your questions, but which cruise are you going on?  I think ours was originally scheduled to go to Cuba (Breeze, Feb 8th) but we didn't book until after Cuba cruises were shut down.  

• 2 weeks later...

My first trip to Grand Turk was last September, the vendors turned me off completely, they were yelling at each other, scamming guests and made our day miserable. We left to go to Margaritaville to use the pool, but there was no shade there and it was so hot. The drinks were overpriced and had no flavor at all. Next time I am going to book an excursion and hope for a better time. I really want to experience the beauty of Grand Turk.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, jdemps said:

Thanks for your help

Margaritaville is part of the Carnival Corp built port area so it is not authentic.  Years ago we went for a little while to swim, it was ok. This year the whole beach and port area was crazy crowded.   I did the $25 tram tour and it was a nice 2 hour overview of the island.  Otherwise I’d try Jacks, get a taxi to Governors Beach as noted above.  Or rent a golf cart and drive yourself.

We will be on the Sunrise on FEB 22nd.  I'm not into driving and finding things after having a few cocktails so rather just grab a cab unless this little island is too small for even that.  I'm am still feeling bummed about being booted from Havana and routed to this little island I guess.....lol

1 hour ago, jdemps said:

We will be on the Sunrise on FEB 22nd.  I'm not into driving and finding things after having a few cocktails so rather just grab a cab unless this little island is too small for even that.  I'm am still feeling bummed about being booted from Havana and routed to this little island I guess.....lol

Here's the taxi prices.  The drivers are very proud of their island and will gladly negotiate for a tour, doing the beach isn't your thing. 

http://www.grandturkcc.com/island-information/taxi-information.aspx

Otherwise, you'll be fine at the port. 2 bars.  Or taking a short beach stroll up to Jack's Shack.

We took a cab to a beach beyond Governor's and loved it. Beautiful. Cab driver came back for us at requested time.  We shared the cab with about 6 others from the ship. 

There were very few people there vs. the Margaritaville area. 

1 hour ago, mets07 said:

We took a cab to a beach beyond Governor's and loved it. Beautiful. Cab driver came back for us at requested time.  We shared the cab with about 6 others from the ship. 

There were very few people there vs. the Margaritaville area. 

Was it Pillory Beach by chance? Was there a fee for beach access and chairs? And how much was taxi per person? Thanks!

10 hours ago, Banks822 said:

Was it Pillory Beach by chance? Was there a fee for beach access and chairs? And how much was taxi per person? Thanks!

Yes, it was. We got dropped off at the Bohio Dive Resort. It was $10 per lounger and they are under a shaded tree area. No umbrellas (but were not necessary). The pool is only for hotel guests but there is a beach bar if you are interested.

No fee for beach access.  Enjoy.

10 hours ago, Banks822 said:

Also, I believe it was $8 per person each way for the cab....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, jdemps said:

Thanks for your help

Margaritaville is a chain restaurant. It's overpriced and people go there for the name.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, mitsugirly said:

PC170488%20copy-M.jpg

Restrooms and showers

P3280283%20copy-M.jpg

P3280287%20copy-M.jpg

Foot washing station

P3280288%20copy-M.jpg

P3280282%20copy-M.jpg

P3280273%20copy-M.jpg

P3280260%20copy-M.jpg

P3280257%20copy-M.jpg

P3280243%20copy-M.jpg

Plenty of shade

P3280198%20copy-M.jpg

Even some picnic tables

P3280189%20copy-M.jpg

To get to this beach do you just keep walking down the beach past Jack's? Or is this another way to get there?

47 minutes ago, queenski516 said:

To get to this beach do you just keep walking down the beach past Jack's? Or is this another way to get there?

It's easiest to go out to the street and go down IMO, but you can go down by Jack's and you'll need to head out toward the street. You can not walk all the way down the beach to get to it.