Live from Viking Sky Iceland majestic landscapes

bobolz

Yes, but even more we are hoping that people, especially those who have already done this itinerary, will join the conversation on "Independent Tour Options - Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland  and answer questions there. We really need the voice of experience and we are trying to make it one-stop shopping for Iceland rather then spreading the conversation across across multiple threads. An 'everything Iceland' thread, so to speak.

We have already shared the link to this amazing thread and every other relevant thread with our roll call, and as people slowly but surely find their way to our roll call, they will know where to find all of the 2019 season threads --and might even visit them, but we all know that you can lead a horse to water...

• Haha 1

I titled the post "Independent Tour Options - Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland" But if you remember anything special about any of the tours you took we'd love you to post about them.  (Independent options or Official Viking Options.)

I'm particularly interested in Faroe Islands and Iceland options. There seems to be a fair amount of information about excursions for Norway, but less so for Faroe Islands and Iceland.  They seem to be newer to the tourism industry.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

🙂

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:18 AM, bobolz said:

Peregrina take a look at the attachments. Does that work for you?  I think they get the lifeboats from both sides, but it may nlybe certain rooms. Rooms 4050 to 4058 probably heard it on our side. 

4DAD9D4F-74EB-4362-9762-A7C24E31CD69.jpeg

8F631FAC-D424-4A40-B3AC-AC2665E9226F.jpeg

B2A07896-C54D-4DE9-9E65-306CE332FF7F.jpeg

8D6BBEBE-F475-4983-8930-536EDEF64DE6.jpeg

Curious....where can this information be found?  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, bobolz said:

Peregrina take a look at the attachments. Does that work for you?  I think they get the lifeboats from both sides, but it may nlybe certain rooms. Rooms 4050 to 4058 probably heard it on our side. 

It looks like 4050 is over 3056.  Would it also be subject to life raft noise?

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Curious....where can this information be found?  

Viking does not publish this information online because it can change from sailing to sailing.

The only way to get it is if a guest shares it here. In this case, I posted in this thread (because at the time it was a "live" thread, meaning that people were posting from the ship, reporting the adventure as they sailed) asking if someone would be kind enough to photograph the price list that is in each cabin and post it. The information shared is valid only for the sailing for which it was published -- but it does give you an idea of what to expect.

Anyone can ask if someone will share the information. People will ask for tour information and also for the daily news letters. Best place to ask is in a live thread if it is still at sea, else try asking a not very old roll call that was fairly active or start a new thread in this forum (Viking Ocean).

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:18 AM, bobolz said:

Copied from another thread and 2019 pricing but, if you are going to be on the Iceland's Majestic Landscapes and are trying to sort out tours and options pricing, this will give you a good idea of what Viking will be charging for optional tours all along the way.

Have looked at many on the separate tour operators, and compared costs using this information. It helps deciding.

we have doe 3 Viking river (VR) cruises and find that the group sizes were are not at all a challenge (30 or so)  with the "Quiet Boxes" on need to be close to the guides and, in fact, at Strasbourg, or guide had to gather people together periodically and it was all too easy to become mesmerized by something and lag behind..In one instance a "puddle of people" were 3 blocks back!

As we are retirees, we need to be a bit circumspect with what we spend on so we can go again in future.

3 hours ago, grimsbybud said:

Can anyone tell me how I can send a message in this RollCall thread?  All I get is a window telling me I haven messages available to send?

techno-Lluddite, I am but.......

There is no private messaging on Cruise Critic.  It is a feature that is a standard feature of the platform that hosts the forums and to disable it, the maximum number of messages has been set to zero.  

If you have a question to ask of the people who are continuing to follow this live thread (which is different from a roll call), post it in this thread.  Question directed to Liz,  me and others sailing with us  should be asked in the June 3 roll call.  

• Like 1

Thanks, very much! Eva and I look forward to meeting you, Liz and all the rest of the CC vagabonds!

Have you heard of the issue, ongoing now in the Caribbean, with the Viking Sky and engine failure issues impeding speed and maneuverability in the last week while doing the Caribbean route??

Thanks, very much! Eva and I look forward to meeting you, Liz and all the rest of the CC vagabonds!

Have you heard of the issue, ongoing now in the Caribbean, with the Viking Sky and engine failure issues impeding speed and maneuverability in the last week while doing the Caribbean route??

ASdd'l from posts on the current thread on this:

On 1/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, lextrvlr said:

Viking Sky has been noticeably missing multiple ports on its recent 7-day cruises out of Miami. Also, she seems to be making progress at less than normal speed. Is the Sky having propulsion problems?

On 1/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, Not a Georgia Peach said:

We got off the Sky on Friday, the 17th.  We missed Merida, and the official notification said it was due to a "technical issue" which was reducing the maximum speed.  No further explanation.

FYI:

I have just sent the following e-mail to tellus@vikingcruises.com, and to both our Viking  agent, Andrea Collier and Oscar Santander at Viking Customer Services:

If I get anything back I will post here.

Bud

Hello again,

I have just sent the following  Email to tellus@vikiing….

As you can see in the message, wee have grave concerns about our ship’s ability to perform safely…Can you advise?

Bud (Hardy) Hightower.

Hello Viking,

Eva and I are booked on the June 3rd sailing of the Viking Sky (Bergen to Iceland. This will be our first Viking Ocean Cruise after 3 previous Viking River Cruises.
As this is going to be a completely new adventure, I have been going to Cruise Critic Roll Call threads on this sailing and looking at other Viking Sky threads. 

What I have just seen is VERY DISTURBING; that is that the Viking Sky seems to be having Engine Power Plant issues and is unable to sail at full cruise speed meaning that some of the ports of call on the current Caribbean cruise have been missed.

As it was problems with the engine systems which caused the near loss of  a Sister Ship off Norway, I am concerned.

As a result of this, I am asking for responses to the following questions:

*What is the actual problem?

*What is the planned, and appropriate solve to this issue.

* In the event that tis problem is not resolved and the ship is not able to safely make our departure, what alternatives does Viking Have available to all of us who have signed on and PAID for this cruise.

I do hope to hear from you about this as it is a genuine worry for us and others..

Bud (XXXXXXXXX, Booking Number: XXXXXXX