Queen Mary 2 transatlantic. New video from 2012 crossing (Hurricane Sandy)

nf5894

Hi,

My 13 year old son is into making travel videos for Youtube. He has done videos from the recent cruises we have done to Hawaii and Alaska and has also just put this one together from our 2012 trip on the QM2. The 'cruise' left Brooklyn, New York in late October 2012, the day before Hurricane Sandy hit. Watching it brought back memories to me of a great time aboard and our time in England. The return journey across the atlantic was less dramatic and we returned to Manhatten because Sandy had closed the Brooklyn terminal.

If anyone is interested, please take a look.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Wow so what’s the connection to the The Black Country I’m from Stourbridge so was amazed to see your video of Some of our local tourism hot spots.Also I’m s big baggies fan so impressed that you took in a game at the Hawthorns. Boing Boing baggies all the best👍😀🚢

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Wow so what’s the connection to the The Black Country I’m from Stourbridge so was amazed to see your video of Some of our local tourism hot spots.Also I’m s big baggies fan so impressed that you took in a game at the Hawthorns. Boing Boing baggies all the best👍😀🚢

I'm from Stourbridge originally although live near Las Vegas now. At the time of that trip we lived in Ohio so was about an 8 hour drive to New York. Took the kids to their first baggies game, it was a monday night game vs Southampton and was a 2-0 win with Odemwingie getting both goals! 

• Like 1

Ah Odemwingie what a great player! He got a club cap recently as all ex players are now  and a great reception from the crowd he has retired from football now though its a very short time at top.We have slipped back down the league a bit!.2012 was my first time on QM2 we went and found our sister town in New England and all the other new old towns great trip. Looks like you had a great time except for your car damage still a memorable trip and that storm how did Mary handle it?  Thanks to your Son for putting that together.

We live by the side of the canal near the glass cone which you may remember is just about the last glass cone standing in England.Stourbridge glass should be on the QM2 really its been manufactured here for 400 years maybe we should start a campaign? Im back on board on the 14th for the super transatlantic via Iceland cant wait... thanks again for the film David Sheppard

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Ah Odemwingie what a great player! He got a club cap recently as all ex players are now  and a great reception from the crowd he has retired from football now though its a very short time at top.We have slipped back down the league a bit!.2012 was my first time on QM2 we went and found our sister town in New England and all the other new old towns great trip. Looks like you had a great time except for your car damage still a memorable trip and that storm how did Mary handle it?  Thanks to your Son for putting that together.

We live by the side of the canal near the glass cone which you may remember is just about the last glass cone standing in England.Stourbridge glass should be on the QM2 really its been manufactured here for 400 years maybe we should start a campaign? Im back on board on the 14th for the super transatlantic via Iceland cant wait... thanks again for the film David Sheppard

Been in the US for 15 years now, and one of the biggest things I miss is being at Baggies games, home and away! 2012 was the first time my kids were on the QM2 but I'd done a transatlantic on her back in 2004, and a r/t transatlantic on the QE2 in 2003.  I know the glass cone well! Right by the Vine pub (not sure if its still there). Remember watching the Eng v Ger world cup semi final there in 1990. I used to live on Marine Cres, opposite the Chemix tyre place (not sure if that's still there either).  And before that I lived in Bracken Park Gardens which is close to the glass cone too (just off brierley hill road on the site of the old steel works). Just before I moved to the US I lived in Amblecote, not far from Corbett hospital. 2012 was the last time I was back in England, probably time to book another trip on the QM2 😉 Hope you have a good trip on your transatlantic via Iceland 👍

The next time you come to Stourbridge let me know we are happy to put you up for a couple of nights. The vine is a chip shop now and does very well with lots of car parking. Our local is the bird in hand which is a fantastic community pub with great real ales.We live on a new small estate that was once part of the Glass works site,the area has been redeveloped with a glass museum to replace the Broadfield House One(not open yet) and posh loft type apartments by the canal converted from the old works Its quite nice Chemix is still around and Marine Cres is just around the corner.My daughter lives near the Hospital where you may have lived. We have got a new manager called Slavin Billick  ex Croatia+West Ham manager(not sure about the spelling) Hopefuly a better season awaits for the baggies! Dave and Elaine Sheppard

• Like 2