What to do at Tauranga

BoopTennis

Tauranga is one of our port stops next February on Princess. 

Considering 1) renting a car on our own and driving to Rotorua area to see geysers and mudbaths etc or 2) take an independent tour to the glowworm caves 

any comments or recommendations which to do?

13 minutes ago, BoopTennis said:

Tauranga is one of our port stops next February on Princess. 

Considering 1) renting a car on our own and driving to Rotorua area to see geysers and mudbaths etc or 2) take an independent tour to the glowworm caves 

any comments or recommendations which to do?

Rotorua is a must if you haven’t been there. It’s interesting how the maoris live on a active volcano.

You can rent a car or there’s plenty of tour companies on the dock.

we used arrow tours 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:53 PM, Chiliburn said:

Rotorua is a must if you haven’t been there. It’s interesting how the maoris live on a active volcano.

You can rent a car or there’s plenty of tour companies on the dock.

we used arrow tours 

Which tour did you take with Arrow?  I see they offer a couple different ones.  We're not interested in doing anything Hobbitish.  Were you happy with the service from Arrow?  Was it a small group tour or a large bus?  Thanks for any info on your experience.

Any other recommendations for tour companies here?

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Which tour did you take with Arrow?  I see they offer a couple different ones.  We're not interested in doing anything Hobbitish.  Were you happy with the service from Arrow?  Was it a small group tour or a large bus?  Thanks for any info on your experience.

Any other recommendations for tour companies here?

It was the middle of the road tour,can’t remember what is was called.

They took us for a bit of a tour of Tauranga,a kiwi fruit farm,the Māori village (which was very interesting,such warm people) booked lunch but you have to pay for it.

Our group requested to be back to the ship about 2:00 for the pool party and was done.

very casual and professional.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It was the middle of the road tour,can’t remember what is was called.

They took us for a bit of a tour of Tauranga,a kiwi fruit farm,the Māori village (which was very interesting,such warm people) booked lunch but you have to pay for it.

Our group requested to be back to the ship about 2:00 for the pool party and was done.

very casual and professional.

Thank you for this info.  You did like the company to deal with?  And their vehicles were clean and modern?  I'm hoping we get the Maori performance at the village.  Do you remember what lunch was and how much it cost?  Was it the same thing for everyone or more like a regular restaurant?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thank you for this info.  You did like the company to deal with?  And their vehicles were clean and modern?  I'm hoping we get the Maori performance at the village.  Do you remember what lunch was and how much it cost?  Was it the same thing for everyone or more like a regular restaurant?

Yes I recommend arrow tours,they came recommended by TripAdvisor NZ forum.

The owners name is Roger, I talked to him online and he met us at the dock.He introduced us to his offsider Ross who looked after us for the day.

You will get the Māori performance as it is the highlight.

Lunch was at the lakeside cafe on the lake in Rotorua town ( the Māori village is out of town)

A table was reserved for all of us ,it was busy.We had to order and pay for our own food 

We didn’t eat much,two of us shared some fish and chips and a couple of drinks each.As we all talked.

From memory it wasn’t a cheap place but nothing is cheap in NZ.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

I can't find a link either...can see the blog you might be referring to but there's no way to link from it.

In any case, we're not up for hiring a vehicle and doing the drive ourselves.  I think we, personally, will get more out of doing a tour with a small vehicle, just a few passengers, and a guide who knows the roads and points out places of interest.  Thanks for trying to help though!!

We decided to rent a car and tackle on our own. Any recommendations for a path or itinerary is appreciated. Would like to see the countryside, geysers and boiling mud pools, blue/green lakes? Is there a forest? Would like to do a little moderate hiking. Not interested in Maori village on this trip. Thanks for any suggestions 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 2:04 AM, BoopTennis said:

i see your blog but having a hard time finding the post from Dec 2010?

Don't know what is going on, but here is the copy and paste!

Day Twelve – 2 January 2011 – Port Day Tauranga

Weather – Clear skies, sunny 26°

Port day meant an early rise with the curtains open to see the view.  Pete decided he would hit the showers first, and while I was sitting in bed waiting for him to finish shaving about just before 6am, the sun was just peeping over the horizon.  So you guessed it – I told him to stop what he was doing and get out here dressed or not and grab the camera.  He obeyed, much to my astonishment and managed to get some wonderful sunrise shots.  It was the first time we had actually seen a decent sunrise and it was spectacular.
cruise+holiday+312.jpg

cruise+holiday+315.jpg

Sunrise over East Cape - looking East from the Bay of Plenty

cruise+holiday+316.jpg

cruise+holiday+318.jpg

cruise+holiday+320.jpg

cruise+holiday+322.jpg

Coming into port at Mount Manuganui just after 6am

cruise+holiday+326.jpg

cruise+holiday+327.jpg 
This was going to be our big day, so we headed for disembarkation early in case we could get off.   We could, and we were the first at 7.30am.   Just as well as the gangway was high, long and quite steep.  So with two staff in front and Pete behind we disembarked slowly down the gangway.  It was a good move as I wouldn’t have like to have done it will hundreds of people breathing down our necks.   

We had spotted Rite Price Rentals from our Balcony, so we knew where to head.   The staff were great and we got sorted on our 12 seater van, however there was one glitch.  The van we were to have had a puncture!   That was quickly resolved – that van was taken off and we took the van behind!

We had planned for everyone to meet at me on the wharf by 8.30am.  Kim and Rich were first to arrive at 7.45am, quickly followed by Violet & Charlie, Tom & Lynda, Lilia & Dave, and ‘the kids’ were last again appearing at 8.15, but to be fair they got caught behind a huge Princess Tour Group disembarking!

So we were off!   Pete was the Tour Driver/Commentator for the day!   We headed for Rotorua via Te Puke for our first stop – Hells Gate.   Pete talked about the Kiwifruit industry and farming all the way.   We soon discovered the van’s aircon didn’t work, so it was fresh air full!!

cruise+holiday+330.jpg

cruise+holiday+331.jpg
 Kim and Rich

cruise+holiday+332.jpg

cruise+holiday+335.jpg

cruise+holiday+337.jpg
We had an hour at Hells Gate – we wandered with 2 couples, then half way through we let them go on further and started to walk back, and met up with the other three couples who had sped ahead.    Back down by the main entrance Violet, Dave and Tom tried their hand at some Maori carving!  

Next stop was to the Agrodome, for the 11am Sheep show.   We went via the northern side of the lake and through Hamurana, stopping on the lake side at a small stream mouth to the lake.  It was a photo opportunity across the lake, but the bonus was two fishermen in their waders fishing for trout, and a huge flock of black swans.   Beautiful over looking the lake on a warm morning.  

With Pete’s usual accuracy we arrived at the Agrodome 5 mins before the show was due to start.    There were a couple of Princess Coach Load’s there, but it wasn’t packed to capacity thanks goodness.   We had changed the plan as Pete thought the 2.30 show could be packed and getting out may make the trip back tight.    They all enjoyed the show, with some going up to pat the sheep and sheepdogs.

By now we were all getting hungry, and it was really hot, so we headed for the lakefront for a lunch stop.  When we arrived we found it was “Fair Day” on the green, so after a quick discussion it was decided we would stop for 1hr 40 and only go to Rainbow Springs, rather trying to get out to the Buried Village.

We wandered over to the Fair, and who should we find, but none other than Sarah C, which her stand of paintings.   We had a great catch up and Sarah shot off and found Colin.     Pete was hungry so we spotted a van selling hot dogs and chips so with food in hand we sheltered under a tree out of the sun.  Don’t know what the temperature was but it was very hot!    Walking back to the van through the stalls we spotted a cap made out of “Tui” Cans! – The perfect gift for Tom who had been banging on about beers all morning.   

Back on the Lakefront we found most of our group assembled having had a meal of “Fish & Chips” and resting on the benches.   Tom and Lynda appeared soon after, so back to the van we went.   Before getting into the van we presented Tom with his hat, to peels of laughter and clapping.  Tom was very pleased with his new hat!  

Our last attraction was Rainbow Springs.  Pete and I didn’t go in, as by now he had nearly lost his voice – very much out of practice!     While our group were either there or over at the Skyline Ride we shot off to get something to ease Pete’s throat.   When we got back we parked in the bus bay under a tree.   But not for long – we were told to move as 8 buses were about to arrive.  You guessed it – 8 bus loads from the Ship!!!  It was a mad house, and we were glad we had arrived earlier!    Violet, Charlie and Tom had gone up in the Gondola’s and when they got to the top they saw a huge queue to get on, so decided to play it safe, and stayed on and came straight back down!   Turned out it was the 8 bus loads of Diamond Passengers!!!

It was time to start making our way back to Tauranga, so Pete decided the shorter route via Pyes Pa.     As we had promised everyone a Hokey Pokey Ice Cream, the hunt was on for an Ice Cream shop!   We certainly needed something as it was exceedingly hot.    We finally found a shop open at Greerton on the way into Tauranga.     So the dairy was inundated with 12 people all wanting ice creams at once, and I am sure we weren’t the only ones!

On arrival back at Mt Maunganui the traffic was madness.  Pete hoped to go along Pilot Bay to get a photo of the ship from the bottom of the Mount, but that wasn’t going to happen.    Besides it was 4.55pm and we still had to get Diesel and get back to the ship.

Finally found the Shell Service Station, so all bets were on in the back as to how much diesel we would need!!   A grand total of $24.48!   Cheap eh.

Back to the ship at 5.15pm – 15 minutes to spare.  Three failed attempts for a group photo and we hurried on board.   Quick discussion ensured in the lift foyer to arrange a meeting point for a photos at 6pm.  I missed that Tom and Lynda were not there, so when we did assemble, we were 2 short – Kim promised to Photoshop them into a photo!!!

Rotorua+Team.jpg
Left rear - Violet, Dave, Tom, Lynda Rich
Middle - Lillia, Kin, Jason
Front -Charlie, Pete, Marg, Kristi

Our last Sailaway out of Tauranga was amazing!!! People everywhere as it was a public holiday and it had been such a hot day.   The little public wharf was groaning with people, all away along the beach was packed and even around the base of the Mount.   Jet skis and boaties everywhere, with all but one heeding the ship’s horn to stay clear!   A truly magnificent send off.

cruise+holiday+343.jpg

cruise+holiday+344.jpg

cruise+holiday+345.jpg

cruise+holiday+346.jpg

cruise+holiday+348.jpg

cruise+holiday+349.jpg

Julie and Dave were in our usual spot on deck for Sailaway, so once out of port we convened to decide where and what we would have for dinner.   We opted for Burgers and Chips on our Balcony!   Easy and we still had wine to drink!!!

cruise+holiday+352.jpg
Last evening shot from the Balcony as we leave Tauranga.

Besides we still had to finish packing the bags we started yesterday.  Not sure when we fitted that in!  But we had the final bits to do, as our bags had to be out the door at 7pm.   Well we didn’t abide by that but we finally got it all done and out by about 8.30pm.    Two bags, a backpack, the new blanket in its bag and the walker!!

Time for a last walk around the ship and dessert in the Horizon Court!    Who should find us there, but Julie and Dave!!!

On the way back to our stateroom, we bumped into Tom and Lynda who tried to encourage us to stay for a show starting at 9.30, but we were far too done in, we were off to bed!
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

We decided to rent a car and tackle on our own. Any recommendations for a path or itinerary is appreciated. Would like to see the countryside, geysers and boiling mud pools, blue/green lakes? Is there a forest? Would like to do a little moderate hiking. Not interested in Maori village on this trip. Thanks for any suggestions 

This itinerary covers all the things you want to see:

After picking up your rental car take Highway 2 out of Mt Maunganui, then take Highway 33 to Rotorua. One you reach Lake Rotorua and have passed the airport look for Tarawera Rd on your left. The map is showing a roundabout there. Turn left. This will take you to the Blue and Green Lakes, the Buried Village, and ends at Lake Tarawera.

Return the way you came and turn left into Long Mile Rd which is a 300-400 metres before the roundabout at the end of Tarawera Rd. This will take you to the Redwood Forest and the forest canopy walk.

To see the Pohutu geyser and and boiling mud pools you need to visit the Te Puia Thermal Park You can carry on down Long Mile Rd, left into Sala St, then left into Fenton St. Te Puia is close to this intersection. 

I would suggest returning to Mt Maunganui via the alternate route through Pyes Pa. You can either turn right into Fenton St from Te Puia, to head into the centre of Rotorua then through to Highway 5 via route 30A, or turn left then right onto Highway 5 to bypass the city centre. Highway 5 goes up the other side of the lake, past Rainbow Springs. However do not turn left to Tirau/Hamilton on Highway 5, go straight ahead onto Highway 36 through Ngongataha. Look out for, and take, the left turn on Highway 36 to Tauranga. At the Tauranga end take Highway 29A back to Mt Maunganui.

I doubt you will have any time for any hiking if you choose to visit all of the sights. Keep track of the time and allow a safe margin to return to the ship. The Pyes Pa route is a bit quicker than the Highway 33 route but don't take any chances in case there are any road works along the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, roscoe39 said:

can I throw in something out of the box? Recently called into Tauranga and went to the Lord of the Rings Movie set. Was a brilliant day, the site is fantastic , and it is not your usual touristy thing to do.

wrote a blog about it here,

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com/2019/02/bill-bagins-and-hobbitton.html

Best outing I had the whole trip.