New Alcoves Equinox!!!

Loanrngr

18 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes and yes

Sometimes we enjoy the alcoves well into the late afternoon or early evening hours, long after many folks have returned from port and crowded the pool deck.  Other times, the ship doesn't dock until 2 or 3 in the afternoon so the pool deck is much busier in the later morning and early afternoon.

Thank you!! For sure keeping it for San Juan. Will ponder Nassau but keep it for now. 

13 hours ago, CruiseLifeIsTheBest said:

Added during the abbreviated revolution but not the same as the alcoves on other  ships. Quite odd IMO. Would have preferred the hot tub was included in the Retreat Deck. 

My mistake, I was thinking of the Solstice. 

On 6/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

For those who have used the alcoves, are you allowed to bring food from say the Ocean View Cafe or another location? I'm giving serious consideration to reserving one for San Juan and/or Nassau day on my Feb Equinox cruise, but being gluten-free I can't do sandwiches or the other "you can order a picnic" things.

You answered my question as to if you can come and go. It seems like a great place I could chill and read a book without having to worry about getting splashed/dripped on and/or fighting for a place on the other decks.

One question I do have... The info says you have it from 9-9... Is it the same on a port day where the port does not start until the afternoon?

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes and yes

Sometimes we enjoy the alcoves well into the late afternoon or early evening hours, long after many folks have returned from port and crowded the pool deck.  Other times, the ship doesn't dock until 2 or 3 in the afternoon so the pool deck is much busier in the later morning and early afternoon.

Yes- 9 to 9 either days.  Another good thing, we typically spend time in the adult pool when we do not have an alcove or on ships without alcoves, but the place is so noisy.   People in hot tub shouting so their conversation can be heard by everyone in the venue- lots of walking back and fourth traffic-

so much easier to relax and read a book in a cabana- less traffic and noise.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

Anyone used the alcoves on Equinox? Do they provide enough shade?

HI. Just back from the 6/29 Equinox sailing. The service staff in the Alcoves are great BUT, there is NO shade mid day when the sun is overhead and no cover when the weather turns rainy poured in Grand Cayman-typical summer Caribbean). The sliders worked OK on the last sea day until the sun was overhead for about 3 hours, so plan a reprieve in the mid day sun or take an umbrella for shade 😄😄. We enjoyed both days in our alcove, the staff did a great job, and if there is some type of top canopy for future sailing would do it again...chairs are comfy, watching the lawn activities entertaining. So, my summary: Staff get a 10, design as is < 5 (because staff alluded to some sort of top canopy that didn't get put up yet because of the truncated revolution). Happy Sails!

Edited by ginnynj
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ginnynj said:

HI. Just back from the 6/29 Equinox sailing. The service staff in the Alcoves are great BUT, there is NO shade mid day when the sun is overhead and no cover when the weather turns rainy poured in Grand Cayman-typical summer Caribbean). The sliders worked OK on the last sea day until the sun was overhead for about 3 hours, so plan a reprieve in the mid day sun or take an umbrella for shade 😄😄. We enjoyed both days in our alcove, the staff did a great job, and if there is some type of top canopy for future sailing would do it again...chairs are comfy, watching the lawn activities entertaining. So, my summary: Staff get a 10, design as is < 5 (because staff alluded to some sort of top canopy that didn't get put up yet because of the truncated revolution). Happy Sails!

Thanks for the info, ginnynj. That's too bad about the lack of shade so we'll plan accordingly.

• Like 1

I had one booked on the 6/22 sailing. After looking at them, and then seeing the updated description, we cancelled. I figured that for a port day, I was going to want to be inside and not baking. The "add-ons" had no interest to us. Not beer drinkers, plus we had the premium beverage package anyways. Plus the antipasto would have sat uneaten. Given the fact that we had some wonderful rain that day, I'm glad that I cancelled.

4 hours ago, ginnynj said:

Thank you so much!  We love the Alcoves on Silhouette and Reflection, and we are disappointed in the ones installed on Equinox since they don’t have mid-day sun protection or rain protection.  

Trying to decide if I want one during our EQ sailing i in December.

7 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Thank you so much!  We love the Alcoves on Silhouette and Reflection, and we are disappointed in the ones installed on Equinox since they don’t have mid-day sun protection or rain protection.  

Trying to decide if I want one during our EQ sailing i in December.

My DH in our Alcove

IMG_20190705_105842855_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I had one booked on the 6/22 sailing. After looking at them, and then seeing the updated description, we cancelled. I figured that for a port day, I was going to want to be inside and not baking. The "add-ons" had no interest to us. Not beer drinkers, plus we had the premium beverage package anyways. Plus the antipasto would have sat uneaten. Given the fact that we had some wonderful rain that day, I'm glad that I cancelled.

Dear 1025,  You lucked out ! As I recall it did rain in Nassau that day. Did see others forcing themselves to enjoy the alcove though. Remember seeing many signs "KEEP OFF THE LAWN".

Edited by rattanchair
additional info

On 6/12/2019 at 9:12 PM, Turtles06 said:

They have been on the Silhouette and the Reflection since the very beginning.  Imho, they are a blight on the lawn space and views, and I am sorry to see they are being installed on other ships.  YMMV.

Agree 1000%!!

5 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear 1025,  You lucked out ! As I recall it did rain in Nassau that day. Did see others forcing themselves to enjoy the alcove though. Remember seeing many signs "KEEP OFF THE LAWN".

Yep. I wasn't crying about the decision. Did find a chance to get into a Solarium hot tub for a bit 🙂

10 hours ago, CruiseLifeIsTheBest said:

From a post on the Equinox Facebook group. Description courtesy of the Celebrity app. 

FB41771B-81D4-467E-A03F-E3A83DD102A0.png

Man......when it's worded like that....I'm a lot more interested!!!!

Sailing her in 6 days!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, hiccups said:

Not much is included--four bottles of water and a fruit plate.  You can order food like a picnic, but there is a fee.

We were on last week's sailing and only once during the week did I see anyone in one.  I'd save my money and just sit near the Sunset bar.

there was this very nice couple who posted live last week from the alcoves.  they said it was incredible.  4 bottles of water, any food you'd like from the room service menu, a bottle of grey goose or champagne and they have cool towels, outlets and access to an ipad for music.  they come around and bring you drinks if you have the drink package too.  
we have the drink package, but we booked it for my birthday while we're at a port.  why not?  it sounds awesome to me and then we can have drinks in the room without having to run back and forth!!  CHEERS!!!

The alcoves are a great idea for those who can not find a chair hogged lounge on sea days. When in port you have the run of the ship so why bother paying the charge?  No need to book in advance an alcove in port, did not see many occupied on port days. Also if you do book in advance can you get your money back in the event of inclement weather?

34 minutes ago, Jgowings said:

there was this very nice couple who posted live last week from the alcoves.  they said it was incredible.  4 bottles of water, any food you'd like from the room service menu, a bottle of grey goose or champagne and they have cool towels, outlets and access to an ipad for music.  they come around and bring you drinks if you have the drink package too.  
we have the drink package, but we booked it for my birthday while we're at a port.  why not?  it sounds awesome to me and then we can have drinks in the room without having to run back and forth!!  CHEERS!!!

They've changed what is included with the alcoves since our 6/1/19 sailing--I think they realized people were probably looking for a little bit more when they are paying those prices.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jgowings said:

Reserved one sea day and one port day.  One thing that we have issues with is that in the solarium, sometimes people, especially in the hot tub scream as they talk so you cannot relax.  It is more relaxing away for the noise of the pool area IMO.  But we do go down to the pools to swim a little- or use the hot tub then back to our "sanctuary."   No chair hog issues to deal with. 

Fortunately never had a weather problem previously with an alcove, so not sure if you get any money back.  But I would guess no- unless a real storm.

Edited by Cruise a holic

sounds like a great plan.  we have it for St. Thomas now but thinking San Juan is better since we don't get into port until later.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, hiccups said:

Not much is included--four bottles of water and a fruit plate.  You can order food like a picnic, but there is a fee.

We were on last week's sailing and only once during the week did I see anyone in one.  I'd save my money and just sit near the Sunset bar.

we have the drink package, but we booked it for my birthday while we're at a port.  why not?  it sounds awesome to me and then we can have drinks in the room without

17 hours ago, hiccups said:

They've changed what is included with the alcoves since our 6/1/19 sailing--I think they realized people were probably looking for a little bit more when they are paying those prices.

having to run back and forth!!  CHEERS!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, Jgowings said:

sounds like a great plan.  we have it for St. Thomas now but thinking San Juan is better since we don't get into port until later.

I've got one booked for San Juan day and Nassau day - my two least favorite ports. San Juan seems like a no-brainer since the ship doesn't get in until mid-afternoon yet you're still paying the port day price!!

Hoping they can sub cider or something else for the beers since I'm gluten-free...if not, I guess I'll make friends with someone who wants them. LOL.