FLL flight times

Saint Greg

First time flying to a cruise. The ship is supposed to arrive at Port Everglades at 8am. What time would you feel comfortable flying out of FLL? I'm looking at an 11:45am flight and wondering if it's too early.

11:45 would be just fine.  You can self-assist and get off the ship extra early if the buffer makes you feel more comfortable.  But most likely you'll end up spending hours at the airport waiting for your flight.  Cruiselines generally recommend 12 noon and some people take flights as early at 9 - 10AM.  11:45 is quite safe.

• Thanks 1

Port Everglades is ten minutes from the airport. When I cruised from there, I had breakfast and took my time getting off the ship. I was at my gate at the airport by 9:30. I had an 11:15 flight.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, blarko said:

Port Everglades is ten minutes from the airport. When I cruised from there, I had breakfast and took my time getting off the ship. I was at my gate at the airport by 9:30. I had an 11:15 flight.

What time did you leave the ship? I leave when they call my luggage tag and it seems like its usually around 9:15. I did have a time on Freedom when the ship had a customs delay in Galveston and I didn't get off until after 11am. Looking back at my Vista cruise from February I didn't get through customs in Galveston until 10:12.

Edited by Saint Greg

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

What time did you leave the ship? I leave when they call my luggage tag and it seems like its usually around 9:15. I did have a time on Freedom when the ship had a customs delay in Galveston and I didn't get off until after 11am. Looking back at my Vista cruise from February I didn't get through customs in Galveston until 10:12.

We did self assist and carried our bags off the ship. We were off the ship around 8:30. The customs line moved very quickly and Port Everglades has the global entry program (we didn’t use it, but there were many who did) which helps speed up the customs process. It probably makes a difference on the size of the ship (we were on the Conquest) and the number of passengers going through customs. I also just checked my Lyft receipt to verify the time and we were picked up at the port at 8:55, dropped off at the airport at 9:05 and the fare was $7.44. We also had TSA precheck and there was virtually no line when we arrived.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

As mentioned, if you are concerned about the time, just carry your own bags off and disembark earlier. 

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

As mentioned, if you are concerned about the time, just carry your own bags off and disembark earlier. 

I probably will since I'm bringing a smaller suitcase than usual. But If it's like Galveston that may or my not be faster. Looking back at my Vista review where I recorded the times, my luggage tag was actually called before my deck was called for self assist.

But also...I haven't even been inside an airport in seven years. I have no idea how early you're supposed to get there. How long it takes to get through security...or any of that these days.

Edited by Saint Greg