Pig & Anchor-Gluten Free Option?

Gatordad815

Hi all! We will be on Carnival Breeze for Spring Break with our daughter who has celiac disease & must eat strictly gluten free with no cross contact with gluten. I know the Main Dining room does this well, so I’ve got dinners and breakfasts covered for her, but I’m looking for lunch options! I’ve read Guys burgers does a safe GF burger and I’m sure we will do that, but I know we will want variety too! 

Can anyone comment on whether Pig & Anchor’s meat is safe for celiac cruisers (both in terms of seasonings and cross contact)? 

Any other comments on a safe variety of GF lunch options on board welcome! 

Are you GF and dairy free? 

P&A is all meat. Brisket and pork and chicken. All DF and GF. 

Im unsure if the sauces have soy sauce which would make the gluten. 

We eat GF and DF and have never had an issue cruising. My sone gets custom desserts of chocolate and peanut butter. I believe the have ices for dessert which are GF and DF. 

Ask away way and I’ll do my best to share what I know. 

Dinners in MDR are super easy for GF. Fish, chicken, meat, salads, veggies, rice and some apps will work too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Are you GF and dairy free? 

P&A is all meat. Brisket and pork and chicken. All DF and GF. 

Im unsure if the sauces have soy sauce which would make the gluten. 

We eat GF and DF and have never had an issue cruising. My sone gets custom desserts of chocolate and peanut butter. I believe the have ices for dessert which are GF and DF. 

Ask away way and I’ll do my best to share what I know. 

Dinners in MDR are super easy for GF. Fish, chicken, meat, salads, veggies, rice and some apps will work too. 

Thanks for the Offer! She is just GF. Drinks lactose-free milk, but otherwise does not have to strictly avoid dairy.

I expect the MDR will be easy for breakfast and Dinner; I’m just more concerned about lunches I’ll be getting for her at various places. Even with meats, I’m always concerned about seasonings (the hidden gluten) and cross contact. It’s good to know the meats at Pig and Anchor don’t use seasonings containing gluten.

My additional questions, to the extent you have experience, would be:

1) At the quick service places that offer GF options (I’m thinking Pig & Anchor, Guys Burgers & Pizza Pirate), did the staff appear knowledgeable about exactly what was GF and proper procedure to avoid cross-contact? When staff appear clueless (on land and sea), we tend to just avoid as not to risk her getting sick.

2) I’ve read the Cucina place serves a pasta bar at lunch. Do you know if they can make a GF pasta dish at lunch, or is it just the bar?

3) Any experience with the deli? I know some deli meats are GF (Boars Head, for example), while others are not.

4) Any other input?

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

The MDR does very well with GF and allergies.  As for the quick serve places...cross contamination will be your biggest issue.  Pizza, deli, Pig and Anchor...they all have bread products there, which means utensils and such may be contaminated.

From our experience the staff is very well versed in GF and allergy situations so your best bet is to ask.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gatordad815 said:

3) Any experience with the deli? I know some deli meats are GF (Boars Head, for example), while others are not

All sliced deli meats are gluten free, unless they are per packaged

21 minutes ago, coevan said:

All sliced deli meats are gluten free, unless they are per packaged

this is not a valid statement, "All sliced deli meats are gluten free." unless you read the actual manufacturers packaging, you have a risk of gluten in processed meats. example would be if soy sauce is used as a seasoning. 

read this on autolyzed yeast extract which is in many processed meats: https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/update-on-the-gluten-free-status-of-yeast-extract/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thanks for the Offer! She is just GF. Drinks lactose-free milk, but otherwise does not have to strictly avoid dairy.

I expect the MDR will be easy for breakfast and Dinner; I’m just more concerned about lunches I’ll be getting for her at various places. Even with meats, I’m always concerned about seasonings (the hidden gluten) and cross contact. It’s good to know the meats at Pig and Anchor don’t use seasonings containing gluten.

1) At the quick service places that offer GF options (I’m thinking Pig & Anchor, Guys Burgers & Pizza Pirate), did the staff appear knowledgeable about exactly what was GF and proper procedure to avoid cross-contact? When staff appear clueless (on land and sea), we tend to just avoid as not to risk her getting sick.

2) I’ve read the Cucina place serves a pasta bar at lunch. Do you know if they can make a GF pasta dish at lunch, or is it just the bar?

3) Any experience with the deli? I know some deli meats are GF (Boars Head, for example), while others are not.

4) Any other input?

It’s good to know the meats at Pig and Anchor don’t use seasonings containing gluten. - always confirm and never assume. ask the staff what's on the meats. we try to eat clean and natural as in salt, pepper garlic, onion and other spices on proteins. we also try to avoid sauces due to many contain flour as thickening agents. the brisket, pork and chicken from my recollection are all seasoning based with basic unprocessed spices. we avoid the potato salad, and baked beans due to high carbs and sugar. we found the slaw to be mostly flavorless so i'm assuming it has mayo and vinegar.

1) At the quick service places that offer GF options (I’m thinking Pig & Anchor, Guys Burgers & Pizza Pirate), did the staff appear knowledgeable about exactly what was GF and proper procedure to avoid cross-contact? When staff appear clueless (on land and sea), we tend to just avoid as not to risk her getting sick. - Staff is knowledgeable but know that cross contamination is very possible. at Guy's, we order burger on a plate (no buns) with fries. we then top them off ourselves at the toppings bar. 100% success for us at this venue.

i'd avoid the Pizza place as you're asking for trouble, even with the Caesar salad they serve as i recall it having croutons.

2) I’ve read the Cucina place serves a pasta bar at lunch. Do you know if they can make a GF pasta dish at lunch, or is it just the bar? - Being GF, we just avoid italian food. we see the risk too high for just carbs. we'd rather eat protein, salad, fruits and veggies.

3) Any experience with the deli? I know some deli meats are GF (Boars Head, for example), while others are not. - IIRC , you can get a chicken breast on a plate with toppings. obvs, avoid the bread. i'd also avoid the falafel as most mass produced falafel has flour as a binder, whereby real falafel does not (chickpeas, onion, herbs, garlic and spices are the only ingredients in falafel with other recipes using beans instead of chickpeas - depends on which ME country you are in). we tend to avoid the deli as it's processed and prepared foods which we tend to avoid, except for Boar's Head brand. And i seriously doubt, and maybe i'm wrong here, but CCL doesn't use BH brand due to cost. Remember they're servings thousands of people and this isn't the Ritz.

4) Any other input? - sea day brunch is always a hit. custom omelettes, smoked salmon, capers, onions, mimoas, breakfast meats, all are always a hit for our fam. for lunch we tend to eat the cleanest food we can find on buffet and always a nice green salad, fresh fruit. you'll find fish options but make sure any sauces are flour free. chicken is usually good. at any asian station just tell them meat only, or get rice noodles and if you're soy sauce free tell them so. most asian sauces have soy sauce in them so be aware. a simple stir fry of protein (shrimp, chicken, beef or pork) with veggies is easy to enjoy.

and if you'd like any special desserts, speak with the maitre'd and the chefs will prepare something for you. mind you, they'll possibly get it wrong but they will work to understand your needs. you can also contact Carnival in advance and advise them of your special needs/requests before you cruise and this might derive  better experience too.

And at Blue Iquana, we get shrimp tacos in corn tortillas and top our tacos ourselves. Sometimes you'll have to ask for the shrimp. we've never had an issue with this. the fish, however, is coated in a breading type (think fish sticks) and we avoid this (and we prefer grilled fish anyway, hey we live in CA and fish tacos are a staple here. i even had them for dinner last night).

LMK if you need/seek anything else. You WILL enjoy your cruise and your daughter WILL have a great time. Many people eat healthier now than in year's past and Carnival is aware of food trends. Regardless of how much deep fried, flour based and unhealthy crap is on Carnival, you can eat healthy and have a great vacation too.

Edited by CA_Cruzing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gatordad815 said:

4) Any other input?

Fellow celiac here, with my advice:

1.  Pig & Anchor - the last time we were on a ship with one, I was told that some of the meats were safe and others were not.  Only one or two of the sides were.  Go right when you get on board, before the line gets long, and ask someone behind the counter.  They'll probably tell you they have to find one of food managers, and honestly, that's probably for the best.  I've had the line servers tell me everything was gluten free, including the bread! So I don't trust when they tell me that all the meats are gluten free as well.  Pizza Pirate - they are supposed to make the gluten free pizza in the back, with toppings from a separate bin.  I've seen them bring out the gluten free crust, put toppings on from the bins out front (where they are also throwing regular pizza dough and flour) and then give me crap when I said it was now cross-contaminated and I couldn't eat it.  I've also seen them bring out the cooked gf pizza and then slice it with the same cutters they do regular pizza.  Quick trips to customer service fixed the problems, but I would say make sure you watch them until you know that your pizza is going to be safe. Guys burgers - they can do gf burgers AND fries, just make sure you tell them you want fries when you order your burger because the ones out front are not gluten free. 

2. Cucino and JiJis - they can do gluten free pasta and noodles lunch or dinner, and it is delicious! Highly recommend it over the other three for lunch, just because it seems like the cross contamination risk is less than the other places, especially during the busy lunch rush time. 

3. Avoid the deli. I've not come across one yet that seemed to understand cross-contamination and that they cannot slather the gluten free bread with the same stick/vat of mayo they use for the regular sandwiches.  Some of the delis seem to be heading towards premade sandwiches, which aren't gluten free. I gave up on the deli years ago. 

4.  It's not impossible to eat from the buffet.  Find someone in chef whites or one of the hostesses.  They will find you someone to talk to and let you know what you can eat.  Usually, but not always, they will offer to bring you out a plate of your choices from the back, so as to avoid any cross-contamination from the buffet. 

The dining room is open for brunch/lunch and you can pre-order food the night before, same as you do for dinner.  It is the safest option on board.  Room service used to be hit or miss about whether they would/could make a gluten free sandwich, but I feel like they've been better recently. 

Basically, don't wait until you're starving - go early and ask questions and then ask even more questions if you suspect the person you're talking to doesn't know what they're talking about. It's not worth the days of pain and suffering if you get glutened!  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! We will be on Carnival Breeze for Spring Break with our daughter who has celiac disease & must eat strictly gluten free with no cross contact with gluten. I know the Main Dining room does this well, so I’ve got dinners and breakfasts covered for her, but I’m looking for lunch options! I’ve read Guys burgers does a safe GF burger and I’m sure we will do that, but I know we will want variety too! 

Can anyone comment on whether Pig & Anchor’s meat is safe for celiac cruisers (both in terms of seasonings and cross contact)? 

Any other comments on a safe variety of GF lunch options on board welcome! 

Nothing at Pig & Anchor is safe for people with celiac  disease.

I spoke with multiple staff on multiple occasions including a ship officer that was supervising the venue when I was on a previous cruise and was informed that nothing at Pig & Anchor is safe. Not sure what they add to the meat or seasoning that contains gluten or whether it is a cross contamination issue in the kitchen or on premises but I was told it is not safe.

I even asked about certain items like the pulled pork and was told it was not safe and nothing else was safe either.

For lunch you can get:

1. Guy's Burgers

2. Blue Iguana Cantina - Tacos on Corn Tortillas - Make sure they wipe the grill and no other worker throws flour tortillas on them when they are cooking.

3. Pasta Bella/Captain's Pasta Bar on ships that have them

4. Seafood Shack with advance notice - your mileage will vary depending on the specific ship

5. MDR on Sea Days until 1pm

6. Carnival Deli

7. Ji Jis

Edited by NightOne
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

i'd avoid the Pizza place as you're asking for trouble, even with the Caesar salad they serve as i recall it having croutons.

I eat the Pizza place every cruise. They make the GF pizzas in the back and bring them out. You have to wait 10-15 minutes to get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

3. Avoid the deli. I've not come across one yet that seemed to understand cross-contamination and that they cannot slather the gluten free bread with the same stick/vat of mayo they use for the regular sandwiches.  Some of the delis seem to be heading towards premade sandwiches, which aren't gluten free. I gave up on the deli years ago. 

I've eaten at the deli on multiple ships and never had an issue. I do watch them like a hawk. On some ships they actually make it in the back. They also have used the "paper" toaster shielding in every case when putting it on a panini press or a toaster oven. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Nothing at Pig & Anchor is safe for people with celiac  disease.

I spoke with multiple staff on multiple occasions including a ship officer that was supervising the venue when I was on a previous cruise and was informed that nothing at Pig & Anchor is safe. Not sure what they add to the meat or seasoning that contains gluten or whether it is a cross contamination issue in the kitchen or on premises but I was told it is not safe.

I even asked about certain items like the pulled pork and was told it was not safe and nothing else was safe either.

For lunch you can get:

1. Guy's Burgers

2. Blue Iguana Cantina - Tacos on Corn Tortillas - Make sure they wipe the grill and no other worker throws flour tortillas on them when they are cooking.

3. Pasta Bella/Captain's Pasta Bar on ships that have them

4. Seafood Shack with advance notice - your mileage will vary depending on the specific ship

5. MDR on Sea Days until 1pm

6. Carnival Deli

7. Ji Jis

i'd be interested in hearing what's in the BBQ join'ts food. please share. we've had zero issues eating here for GF (meats only).

as for your list, here' my observations, which are just that, observations.

For lunch you can get:

1. Guy's Burgers - SOLID CHOICE GOING PROTEIN STYLE AND NO BUNS. THEY DO WARM BUNS ON THE GRILL THO.

2. Blue Iguana Cantina - Tacos on Corn Tortillas - Make sure they wipe the grill and no other worker throws flour tortillas on them when they are cooking. - AGREED

3. Pasta Bella/Captain's Pasta Bar on ships that have them - WE DON'T EAT THERE DUE TO NO DESIRE TO EAT HEAVY CARBS

4. Seafood Shack with advance notice - your mileage will vary depending on the specific ship - YES, BUT AVOID DEEP FRIED FOODS AS THEY HAVE BATTER ON THEM. 

5. MDR on Sea Days until 1pm - AGREED, SOLID OPTIONS HERE.

6. Carnival Deli - HOT DOGS CAN HAVE GLUTEN, SANDWICHES ARE BREAD, DELI MEAT IS UNKNOWN 

7. Ji Jis - SOY SAUCE ABOUNDS. MUST BE HIGHLY SPECIFIC IN HOW YOU ORDER AND WHAT YOU ORDER

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CA_Cruzing said:

i'd be interested in hearing what's in the BBQ join'ts food. please share. we've had zero issues eating here for GF (meats only).

as for your list, here' my observations, which are just that, observations.

For lunch you can get:

1. Guy's Burgers - SOLID CHOICE GOING PROTEIN STYLE AND NO BUNS. THEY DO WARM BUNS ON THE GRILL THO.

2. Blue Iguana Cantina - Tacos on Corn Tortillas - Make sure they wipe the grill and no other worker throws flour tortillas on them when they are cooking. - AGREED

3. Pasta Bella/Captain's Pasta Bar on ships that have them - WE DON'T EAT THERE DUE TO NO DESIRE TO EAT HEAVY CARBS

4. Seafood Shack with advance notice - your mileage will vary depending on the specific ship - YES, BUT AVOID DEEP FRIED FOODS AS THEY HAVE BATTER ON THEM. 

5. MDR on Sea Days until 1pm - AGREED, SOLID OPTIONS HERE.

6. Carnival Deli - HOT DOGS CAN HAVE GLUTEN, SANDWICHES ARE BREAD, DELI MEAT IS UNKNOWN 

7. Ji Jis - SOY SAUCE ABOUNDS. MUST BE HIGHLY SPECIFIC IN HOW YOU ORDER AND WHAT YOU ORDER

I don't know what specifically is in the meat at Pig & Anchor that contains gluten but that is what I was told. On my next cruise that has a Guy's Pig & Anchor I will go talk to them and see what they say.

1. You can have the GF bun at Guy's. They actually changed it from what they used to use and it is better now. You can also bring your own buns too. I have done both.

3. We're talking GF here not Carb Free. LOL

4. They have to change the oil in a fryer which is why the advanced notice. On Triumph I had Fish & Chips that were awesome (with GF breading). On Vista they fried it but without breading and it was meh!

6. You cannot eat everything at the deli. They have gluten free bread. The "new" delis have an awesome gluten free sub roll. You will know if it is the new one by the menu. If you see the Cubano sandwich it is the new one.

7. At Ji Jis for lunch they don't put soy sauce on it and you only get to have 1 of the 4 sauces. (Szechaun one I think). Don't add soy sauce from the table unless you know it is a GF one (like SAN-T brand or Kikoman GF version)

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the great, albeit conflicting information. As the dad of a Junior Celiac, I’ve gotten used to things being different everywhere we go, so it’s not surprising to me to see that different folks have had different experiences at the same food outlets! 

Keep the info, anecdotes, opinions coming! It helps a lot to have ideas on how to make mealtimes efficient and enjoyable!

2 hours ago, iamsteph said:

It's not impossible to eat from the buffet.  Find someone in chef whites or one of the hostesses.  They will find you someone to talk to and let you know what you can eat.  Usually, but not always, they will offer to bring you out a plate of your choices from the back, so as to avoid any cross-contamination from the buffet. 

This is good to know. When we were on Royal Caribbean they would bring the kids fresh fruit and hamburgers from the back. I’d love if that was an option for us! I definitely wouldn’t eat from the actual buffet but if I could get them to make safe food in the back that would be great!

2 hours ago, NightOne said:

Blue Iguana Cantina - Tacos on Corn Tortillas - Make sure they wipe the grill and no other worker throws flour tortillas on them when they are cooking.

Thanks for info! Any idea if they have hard corn tortillas, or just soft? Gotta admit I don’t love the idea of it being warmed on the same surface as the flour tortillas, even if wiped down. That plus my kids love hard tacos with meat and cheese! 

2 hours ago, NightOne said:

I eat the Pizza place every cruise. They make the GF pizzas in the back and bring them out. You have to wait 10-15 minutes to get it.

I hope this turns out to be a viable option, as it is on Royal Caribbean. Though the reports of cross contamination above scare me! I’ll try it out early on and see how they do (without promising a pizza to the kids until after I know if it’s safe!)

3 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

A good number of rubs contain wheat and if the sauce contains any sort of soy/worcestershire sauce or beer for flavoring, it's not going to be gluten free.  

If I remember correctly, the meats at P&A rotate.  This could be why some people are told that nothing is safe, I was told that only some things were safe, and you've evidently had no problem.  Some people are also more sensitive to cross-contamination than others - a gluten intolerant person might be fine with the small amount of wheat that might be in a rub on the BBQ, whereas it would definitely make me sick.  So even while something is *probably* 99.9% safe, it's always best to ask each and every time, rather than to assume and end up with half your vacation ruined.   

Edited by iamsteph
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iamsteph said:

A good number of rubs contain wheat and if the sauce contains any sort of soy/worcestershire sauce or beer for flavoring, it's not going to be gluten free.  

The hidden gluten is my biggest fear at quicker service places who have clueless (though well-meaning) staff who aren’t trained to know how complex it can be to decipher if gluten is inadvertently in a sauce or seasoning. It’s always reassuring to talk with a chef or head waiter to get confirmation. Or to just have the staff clearly explain how they avoid the cross contact, etc., so it’s clear they’ve had good training. 

I kinda wish they’d just be consistent so it’s easy to know it’s GF (kind of like boars head. I know it’s GF and I don’t have to read labels). But on the bright side, the fact we can get breakfast and dinner with trained head waiters and chefs is more than we would get out of most vacations, so I know we can make lunches work!

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences!

19 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thanks for info! Any idea if they have hard corn tortillas, or just soft? Gotta admit I don’t love the idea of it being warmed on the same surface as the flour tortillas, even if wiped down. That plus my kids love hard tacos with meat and cheese! 

No, they only have the soft corn tortillas from what I seen. They would have to fry them to get them crispy and that would be an issue with contaminated oil in the fryer without changing the oil or having a dedicated fryer.

I've watched to procedure when they clean the flat top and I am comfortable with how they do it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

I hope this turns out to be a viable option, as it is on Royal Caribbean. Though the reports of cross contamination above scare me! I’ll try it out early on and see how they do (without promising a pizza to the kids until after I know if it’s safe!)

I've had the pizza many times on 5 different ships and it is not an issue. They do not make the pizzas in front of you where all the flour is. They are made in the back. Just let them know you need GF and you are Celiac and need no cross contamination and they will take care of you. Sometimes they plate it in the back too but other times they plate it in front of you and you'll get to see how the handle it in regards to cross contamination. I assure you no one is more uptight about this than me. I'm biopsy and blood tested positive and react to gluten within a few minutes. I've never had an issue at the Carnival pizza places. I'm also very assertive in what my needs are when I order though. 

Now if we can get Carnival to deliver the gluten free pizza like they do the regular pizza. 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iamsteph said:

If I remember correctly, the meats at P&A rotate.  This could be why some people are told that nothing is safe, I was told that only some things were safe, and you've evidently had no problem.  Some people are also more sensitive to cross-contamination than others - a gluten intolerant person might be fine with the small amount of wheat that might be in a rub on the BBQ, whereas it would definitely make me sick.  So even while something is *probably* 99.9% safe, it's always best to ask each and every time, rather than to assume and end up with half your vacation ruined.   

I have no doubt that people get told different things. A friend of mine went on Vista before me and Seafood Shack they couldn't do anything for her at all. I went on Vista later and they made me some gluten free fish & chips. (albeit not great like on Triumph)

I think some of the venues depend on who the particular chefs and crew on board are at THAT particular time. For example, the 1st time I went on Triumph it was the worst food I ever had in the MDR. The next time I went on Triumph it was the best food I ever had in the MDR. (different culinary staff)

14 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

The hidden gluten is my biggest fear at quicker service places who have clueless (though well-meaning) staff who aren’t trained to know how complex it can be to decipher if gluten is inadvertently in a sauce or seasoning. It’s always reassuring to talk with a chef or head waiter to get confirmation. Or to just have the staff clearly explain how they avoid the cross contact, etc., so it’s clear they’ve had good training. 

I kinda wish they’d just be consistent so it’s easy to know it’s GF (kind of like boars head. I know it’s GF and I don’t have to read labels). But on the bright side, the fact we can get breakfast and dinner with trained head waiters and chefs is more than we would get out of most vacations, so I know we can make lunches work!

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences!

On boarding day when you go meet the maitre'd to order the 1st night's meal, etc. you will want to ask about these particular vendors and items too. If they don't know for sure politely ask them to find out for you. For example: "Are all the lunchmeats in the deli GF?"

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:25 PM, NightOne said:

I've had the pizza many times on 5 different ships and it is not an issue. They do not make the pizzas in front of you where all the flour is. They are made in the back. Just let them know you need GF and you are Celiac and need no cross contamination and they will take care of you. Sometimes they plate it in the back too but other times they plate it in front of you and you'll get to see how the handle it in regards to cross contamination. I assure you no one is more uptight about this than me. I'm biopsy and blood tested positive and react to gluten within a few minutes. I've never had an issue at the Carnival pizza places. I'm also very assertive in what my needs are when I order though. 

Now if we can get Carnival to deliver the gluten free pizza like they do the regular pizza. 🙂

This is very reassuring, especially given the fact you are so aware (my wife & I are similarly aware on our daughters behalf). Thank you for all of the input and for sharing your experiences. As I’m sure you know, with Celiac on vacation it’s important to know ahead of time what the path of least resistance will be to safe food. I research this stuff a lot to be sure our daughter doesn’t get stuck in uncomfortable situations, or even worse get sick. The type of input you’ve provided means a lot to this Celiac dad and I thank you for it!

• Like 2