Newbie Question -lanyards?

Beverleel

Hello! I’m putting together a gift bag for each of the 3 couples we are cruising with. Considering adding lanyards to the bags. Do cruisers still wear/need these or are tickets and such handled digitally on cruisers' phones?

thanks!

I've been cruising for decades and have never worn a lanyard. Spend too much time wearing them at work to want the same on vacation. You will see a few people wearing them - usually the pocket deprived or those prone to losing their sea cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beverleel said:

Hello! I’m putting together a gift bag for each of the 3 couples we are cruising with. Considering adding lanyards to the bags. Do cruisers still wear/need these or are tickets and such handled digitally on cruisers' phones?

thanks!

Like mom says in the post above, I wore them at work for years (we called them and the badges they held "Geek Labels") and I certainly won't wear them on vacations.

On the cruises I have taken only a small percentage of people used them. 

You won't be using "tickets" during your cruise. Since the ship is a cashless environment, on the majority of ships you will have a plastic card similar to a credit card that will be used to unlock your stateroom door, charge drinks or other fee items to your account, and to identify you when you leave the ship at ports and again when you re-board. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thanks for the info. I found lanyards and card holders at the Dollar Store. Will include them in the gift bags and let the cruisers decide 😊

Switching gears... other suggestions to put in the gift bags? Small items that would be practical for cruising? I was also thinking of a flat magnetic frame with a photo as a door decoration, and a small notebook.

If any of your group wears their phone in a neck wallet -- to use its camera at the drop of a hat -- the phone WILL demagnetize your sail-n-spend card. Usually when you are in hurry to get in your room! Then you have to go to the service desk to get it re-magnetized. Ask me how I know.

My mom and step-mom liked the rhinestone lanyards. I too got enough for all the females in my group of nine (six women). Don't remember if anyone else wore theirs.

Suggestions: Battery-operated "votive candles" for a nightlight. A small flat airfreshener intended for automotive use to hang in the bath. Takes up no room compared to alternatives. 

I think as it is a gift, I would appreciate whatever was given in the spirit in which it was given.

That said, some like lanyards, some do not. I generally use a lanyard with pouch while on the ship during the day, but stow it for the evenings when I have a top pocket.

Have done two cruises so far this year. 

On Majestic Princess, Australia/ Asia in March I would say 80% of passengers wore lanyards.

On Oasis of the Seas in the Mediterranean, in May about 20% of passengers used them.

One thing I noticed on both cruises was the number of people taking flasks to buffet to take coffee/ hot water back to cabins.

For a cruise 'basket/ box', I would suggest..deckchair towel clips, bar shampoo/ conditioner, torch, battery tea light for night time bathroom visits, car air freshener for bathroom, old hotel card or old set sail pass to keep electricity flowing (some ships), clothes pegs to pin clothes on balcony to dry (Not really approved), travel clock, sun screen, small first aid kit(ridiculously expensive onboard), few sweets, instant coffee (if not having coffee card) washing sheets/pods if cruising on ship with self service launderettes, lip salve, wet wipes, pen , waterproof phone carrying case if beach/water involved

Am sure others will mention hanging shoe rack, folding laundry basket, blow up hangers, highlighters, bingo dabbers, antiseptic wipes to wipe cabin down on boarding  in case of noro virus ,whiteboards for messaging others in party, magnetic hanging clips but we have never needed them.

Most of these items are available at Pound/ Dollar stores.

Just consider what you and your party might use.

You could end up needing an extra suitcase if you take everything suggested !!

I think lanyard use depends on the cruise line.  Our most recent cruise was on Celebrity, and DH and I were very much in the minority since we don’t use lanyards.  I even saw loads of fellow passengers ashore, still wearing their lanyards.

10 hours ago, Beverleel said:

thanks!

Many cruisers choose to wear landyards for the key card (ID) but certainly NOt all. I never wear one.  Nothing wrong with them, I just  don't  care to wear one. 

Have fun puting togerther your bag s and have a great

cruise.

Include an adhesive card slip/wallet that can be attached to a person's phone (or book, or whatever)......They're really handy, and are made so that they protect the card from being damaged by the phone.  They're inexpensive, and come in a lot of colours and patterns. 

Edited to add: suggestions like clips, soap, lights, etc will be important or not depending on what cruise ship/line you're sailing on. 

Edited by calliopecruiser

I always wear a lanyard, and it's been the best thing ever for my OH who used to lose his ship card at least once a day.. in the evening I put the whole lanyard into an evening bag, because it's simpler to find than a tiny card.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:53 PM, Beverleel said:

thanks!

Many use them for their cruise card, personally I hate wearing them.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:40 AM, Reina del Mar said:

. . . . old hotel card or old set sail pass to keep electricity flowing (some ships) . . . 

Hi Reina, pretty comprehensive list.  I wouldn't use all of that, but I would be happy to find man of those things in a gift bag. 

Anyway, about the old key card.  Are you talking about ships having systems like some hotels where you have to put the key card in a slot in order for the room's lights and hvac to work?  Seen that in some European hotels but never in a cruise ship.  But then again, I shouldn't be surprised because there are a lot of cruise lines that I've never been on!

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Except some hotels, the key slot for power is a reader, and it must be a key card coded to that room.

VERY annoying.

Never come across that, what line was that on?

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Anyway, about the old key card.  Are you talking about ships having systems like some hotels where you have to put the key card in a slot in order for the room's lights and hvac to work? 

Yes, am talking about putting key card in slot.

Can't remember which ships if I am honest..but always carry an old key card. ...I am a chronic overpacker and take ' the kitchen sink' !