I think the RCI family has lost another one

44 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I know this isn't about RCI but I think either RCI or Celebrity just lost a female staff captain. The wait to break the glass ceiling is just too long for some to wait.

https://www.virginvoyages.com/press/latest-releases/captainwendy

I thought RCCL already had a female captain?  No? 

M

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

Royal has had at least 2 female captains One was captain Liz (we sailed with her). That "glass ceiling" was shattered many years ago. LOL 

That's my recollection too.

• Like 1

Really??? What is the difference? 

I'm a Canadian and I am more impressed with a cruiseline promoting A WOMAN to Captain regardless of her nationality.

The qualification for being a captain is not your citizenship. I have cruised on RCCl ships in the past when Captain Karin piloted the vessel. Never felt like she was inferior to any other captain male or female from any country. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I'm a Canadian and I am more impressed with a cruiseline promoting A WOMAN to Captain regardless of her nationality.

The qualification for being a captain is not your citizenship. I have cruised on RCCl ships in the past when Captain Karin piloted the vessel. Never felt like she was inferior to any other captain male or female from any country. 

If you are qualified and good enough age or gender should not be an issue.

• Like 3

I'm a woman and I don't care if the captain is a man or a woman, just so that he or she is qualified to get us to each port safely. Please don't just hire a woman just because she's a woman......As in many professions, there are just more men qualified to be hired and in others more women who are qualified.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

The point is, the OP was making it sound like there's never been a female captain on a major cruise line, when that is not the case.  

The glass ceiling was broken long ago, on Royal and other cruise lines. 

The difference with regard to this press release is that the captain in question is the first Canadian woman, not the first woman.  I think the OP may have missed that point.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The point is, the OP was making it sound like there's never been a female captain on a major cruise line, when that is not the case.  

The glass ceiling was broken long ago, on Royal and other cruise lines. 

The difference with regard to this press release is that the captain in question is the first Canadian woman, not the first woman.  I think the OP may have missed that point.  

Capt Ron, although a male, is from Canada. 

2 hours ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

If you are qualified and good enough age or gender should not be an issue.

A woman can pose for pictures and give a speech just as well as a man, no matter the nationality.

5 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

With two Canuck captains on cruise ships now maybe we'll be getting some curling rinks installed!

I second that. But are the Ice Rinks on the Voyage & classes regulation curling length?

10 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

And Poutine emporiums!!!  

It can replace Johnny Rockets! Double bonus.

13 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

With two Canuck captains on cruise ships now maybe we'll be getting some curling rinks installed!

And Poutine emporiums!!! 

250px-Captain_Canuck1.jpg

Emporiums or emporia? Latin root?

anyway poutine is having a moment so would seem a worthy snackorium regardless.