Mardi Gras Part 2?

Thanks to @TRUEBLUE66 on the RCI forum, I saw the list of ships on order.  SPOILER ALERT: RCI has some behemoths coming 🙄

But it is not all bad news for the fun ships. If you scroll down to 2022, there ‘s a Carnival order for a LNG ship with a gross tonnage of 183,900.  Mardi Gras part deux?

Is anyone else excited about it? Old news?  I wonder where the port will be.  

https://www.amem.at/pdf/AMEM_Cruise-Ships-on-Order.pdf

1 hour ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

Thanks to @TRUEBLUE66 on the RCI forum, I saw the list of ships on order.  SPOILER ALERT: RCI has some behemoths coming 🙄

But it is not all bad news for the fun ships. If you scroll down to 2022, there ‘s a Carnival order for a LNG ship with a gross tonnage of 183,900.  Mardi Gras part deux?

Is anyone else excited about it? Old news?  I wonder where the port will be.  

https://www.amem.at/pdf/AMEM_Cruise-Ships-on-Order.pdf

I hope it will port in New York year-round, and be named "Festivale". It would be similar to what NCL did with the Breakaway, starting in 2013. It could offer 7-day cruises to the Bahamas (Day 1 NY, Day 2 Sea, Day 3, Port Canaveral, Day 4 Private Island, Day 5 Nassau, Day 6 Sea, Day 7, Sea, Day 8, NY) and then a couple of 5-day Cruises to Bermuda and Canada. That, unfortunately, would be unlikely.

• Like 1

Just now, NauticalNeophyte said:

I’d sail it for a 5-day to Bermuda.   We can wish anyway.

SAME! That would be a dream! Plus, since it will already cost an arm and a leg with port taxes and fees, I would not have to pay airfare. It would also be nice to have Mardi Gras go to New Orleans for maybe when Mardi Gras takes place lol.

• Like 1

Just now, jbethel11 said:

SAME! That would be a dream! Plus, since it will already cost an arm and a leg with port taxes and fees, I would not have to pay airfare. It would also be nice to have Mardi Gras go to New Orleans for maybe when Mardi Gras takes place lol.

Since I’m an hour away, I vote for that idea.  They’d have to rebuild or remodel the port to accommodate I’m sure, but it’s okay. I can wait. 

8 minutes ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

Since I’m an hour away, I vote for that idea.  They’d have to rebuild or remodel the port to accommodate I’m sure, but it’s okay. I can wait. 

NCL Breakaway can handle it, and she is 1068 feet whereas the Mardi Gras is 1129 feet. But, I am sure Carnival researched this possibility as well. However, we are all hoping! 

2 minutes ago, cruzincat50 said:

Not be a downer, but the Mardi Gras will have the worst ratio of tonnage to passenger count of all the ships in Carnival’s fleet by a wide margin.  

So, too many people in not enough space?

14 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

NCL Breakaway can handle it, and she is 1068 feet whereas the Mardi Gras is 1129 feet. But, I am sure Carnival researched this possibility as well. However, we are all hoping! 

That’s true. I forget the Breakaway is there.

The size of the port is not the issue.

Since this is an LNG fueled ship, it will be access to LNG that will probably be the deciding factor.

If I remember correctly, both RCCL and Carnival have made plans and entered agreements with the necessary parties to home port LNG ships in Florida.

This not a simple process, unlike deciding to send a conventionally fueled ship to a port, where the fueling infrastructure is already in place.

9 minutes ago, gatour said:

The size of the port is not the issue.

Since this is an LNG fueled ship, it will be access to LNG that will probably be the deciding factor.

If I remember correctly, both RCCL and Carnival have made plans and entered agreements with the necessary parties to home port LNG ships in Florida.

This not a simple process, unlike deciding to send a conventionally fueled ship to a port, where the fueling infrastructure is already in place.

I feel like New York would be a good port since Mardi Gras is making two different stops in New York!

2 hours ago, cruzincat50 said:

Not be a downer, but the Mardi Gras will have the worst ratio of tonnage to passenger count of all the ships in Carnival’s fleet by a wide margin.  

New Yorkers are used to being crowded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

So, too many people in not enough space?

Definitely a trend.  That's exactly what they did with the Sunshine, Sunrise, and soon to be Radiance.  They moved the comedy club to deck four (making it much smaller) to make room for more cabins on deck five.  They also made the main theater smaller also to make room for more cabins.

Just now, Lee Cruiser said:

Definitely a trend.  That's exactly what they did with the Sunshine, Sunrise, and soon to be Radiance.  They moved the comedy club to deck four (making it much smaller) to make room for more cabins on deck five.  They also made the main theater smaller also to make room for more cabins.

Carnival is all about $. That is kind of what irks me when it comes to them; there is always some restriction with everything. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Vista class as well. Smaller comedy club to make room for Havana. At least they got a couple of comedy shows in the main theater.

Looking on that listing for 2020, I noticed that the Mardi Gras delivery date has been moved to April of 2021.  Or am I reading this  wrong? 

"unnamed Carnival 1396 183 900 5 200 April Meyer Turku Shipyard (4) 16V MaK M46DF > 1 000 (Helios Class – LNG III) Delivery obviously shifted to 2021. max 6 600"

I sincerely hope that is an error because we are booked on her for February of 2021.  

13 hours ago, cruzincat50 said:

I would be willing to bet your comment will no longer be true when Carnival comes out with their next class of ship at some point in the future. 

13 hours ago, cruzincat50 said:

Possibly the most meaningless stat in the industry.  

49 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Looking on that listing for 2020, I noticed that the Mardi Gras delivery date has been moved to April of 2021.  Or am I reading this  wrong? 

"unnamed Carnival 1396 183 900 5 200 April Meyer Turku Shipyard (4) 16V MaK M46DF > 1 000 (Helios Class – LNG III) Delivery obviously shifted to 2021. max 6 600"

I sincerely hope that is an error because we are booked on her for February of 2021.  

That is the 2nd class ship, not the Mardi Gras

9 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The comedy club on the Sunrise is bigger, not smaller, but you are on a roll.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Definitely a trend in the wrong direction in my book. When we cruised on Victory last month, the ship never felt crowded no matter where we were or what we were doing. On the other hand, when we were on Sunshine in February, every place on the ship always seemed crowded with the exception of the Havana Bar and the Thermal Suite.

My wife and I have 28 cruises on Carnival on 11 different ships. We both agree our three least favorite ships are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon.  It’s not like we think these ships are terrible, but these ships definitely feel a lot more crowded than other class of ships. We still prefer Dream, Spirit and Conquest class ships. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I hope it will port in New York year-round, and be named "Festivale". It would be similar to what NCL did with the Breakaway, starting in 2013. It could offer 7-day cruises to the Bahamas (Day 1 NY, Day 2 Sea, Day 3, Port Canaveral, Day 4 Private Island, Day 5 Nassau, Day 6 Sea, Day 7, Sea, Day 8, NY) and then a couple of 5-day Cruises to Bermuda and Canada. That, unfortunately, would be unlikely.

Carnival tried year round out of New York, it will not happen again, especially with a new ship.  Be happy with getting sailings out of New York on their newest ships.

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Definitely a trend in the wrong direction in my book. When we cruised on Victory last month, the ship never felt crowded no matter where we were or what we were doing. On the other hand, when we were on Sunshine in February, every place on the ship always seemed crowded with the exception of the Havana Bar and the Thermal Suite.

My wife and I have 28 cruises on Carnival on 11 different ships. We both agree our three least favorite ships are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon.  It’s not like we think these ships are terrible, but these ships definitely feel a lot more crowded than other class of ships. We still prefer Dream, Spirit and Conquest class ships. 

Interesting that 2 of those 3 are the most popular for Carnival.  You might be surprised the extra people difference on the Sunrise.