Cruise Transfer for Scooter at Ft. Lauderdale Airport

Good evening!  I have a client who uses a motorized scooter.  She will be traveling with her own scooter.  Does anyone know of transfer service (bus with a lift) from the airport to Port Everglades.  I got a list of taxi serices that have wheelchair accessible vans but haven't been able to reach a knowledgable person on those call lines.  Not sure the Princess transfer would have a lift (or can we request one?) or whether an independent company offers this service.  Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Scooter.jpg

Because you are in the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act is in full force. if Princess is providing a shuttle for non-disabled passengers, then they must provide equivalent services to individuals with disabilities (it’s Princess’ choice about how to provide the service- they could have a bus with a lift, hire a cab, etc).

They are not permitted to charge any more for accessible service than non-accessible service.

You  should be able to call Princess and have the agent add the transfer. You might need to contact special services.

Most/all Caribbean destinations have no similar requirement for accessibility, and finding an affordable accessible transfer can be challenging in some places (including Nassau).

• Like 1

Your client will need to advise Princess she will be bringing her own scooter (does she  have an accessible room?).   This is their Access Office contact info:  accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com.  

Regarding transfers to the pier from the airport, this is direct from Princess' website:

If you purchase a Princess airport-to-ship transfer, you’ll be met by a uniformed Princess representative at the embarkation port airport.

For domestic U.S. flights, you’ll be met near the luggage claim area. For international flights, you’ll be met as you exit the secure customs area. Make sure you claim all your luggage prior to exiting the luggage claim area.

From the airport, you’ll be transferred to your ship or hotel. But if you haven’t purchased your air travel arrangements from Princess, you must provide us with flight details prior to purchasing your transfer.

And if you require special assistance, be aware that lift-equipped transportation may not be available in your port of embarkation or disembarkation. Arrangements must be secured in advance to accommodate your needs.

For transfer arrangement details, please contact your travel agent, call 1-800-PRINCESS or visit Cruise Personalizer®.

I have the exact same scooter and have taken it on at least 50 cruises out of Ft Lauderdale.  I've never used a private service to get me to the port from the airport.  I just get into the taxi line and tell the coordinator that I need an accessible taxi.  It will take a few extra minutes, but they will pull up and you drive the scooter right into the back of the cab.  If you do a private company, they can charge as much as $200 while the cab ride was $25.  You do basically the same thing at the end of the cruise-----go outside the cruise terminal and tell the taxi coordinator that you need an accessible cab.  They will radio for one.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...