Safe to leave Amber Cove to the waterfalls?

sloper12

With all I'm hearing lately regarding Dominican, I'm a little leary of leaving the Amber Cove port area to take our Waterfalls Of Damajagua tour.  Perhaps someone who knows the Dominican can provide insight as to the safety of the area?   I did look on Google Maps and I could see that the area of the tourist deaths is quite far away from Amber Cove/Damajagua area so that makes me feel like I might still go on the tour but also still thinking of canceling it and just hanging around the port area.  Don't really like the idea of hanging around port because we were just there in January and because we had our grand kids all we did was stay at the port so they could swim.  This time it will just be hubby and me and we like to see and do things rather than just lay around.  

I did the falls last October and felt completely safe. When we were at the falls I forgot to take my tank top off before we started walking. A guide walked me back to the lockers and stayed with me the whole time to make sure I was safe. The falls was one of the best excursions I have done and plan on doing it again this December with my husband. The port area is beautiful as well. I hung around there when I got back and climbed to the top of the hill to visit the bar. I am really looking forward to going back there. 

I am concerned as well. It looks like Americans are being targeted. I think I will wait to hear about all the FBI findings before making my decision about staying in Amber Cove vs. venturing out...

Edited by lovestheH20
  • Like 1