Mediterranean seasickness

Barbara H

Some of the most ‘vicious’ seas I have been in were in the Med. Not heavy rolling / pitching but short sharp waves with strong winds causing juddering and vibrations and big green waves over the bow etc. 

It depends on may factors ... good be good or could be bad 😀

It depends on your itinerary.  Many cruises classified as Mediterranean also include the Adriatic and Ionian Seas.  If there are Sirocco winds, the area where the Adriatic and Ionian meet can get quite choppy.  This would be around the "Boot" of Italy.  I experienced it headed northbound to Venice, but not as we returned southbound towards Greece four days later.  It wasn't terrible, but it definitely sent me to bed early that evening.

We think the Med is like any other large body of water in that it can (and does) get rough when there are storms and high winds (even hundreds of miles  distant).  Those that cruise need to simply accept that ships cruise upon the sea and when the sea moves so does the ship.  It does not matter is you are in the Med, Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Pacific, etc.  The rules are the same.  Even the largest ships in the world will move when they encounter long swells or large waves.

Over the decades we have spend many months cruising in the Med.  During the summer months we have usually had relatively calm seas, but there have been some times when conditions did get nasty.    Bottom line is that it is all luck (or fate).  Consider that DW and I have crossed the somewhat infamous Bay of Biscay at least 2 dozen times and never had any rough seas.  That truly defies the odds :).   In over forty years of extensive cruising the roughest seas we have ever encountered were between NYC and Bermuda....thanks to a hurricane.

Hank

After reading all the posts on here, guess we've been lucky on our two cruises involving the western Med and our one in the eastern Med as the seas were calm.  Also, had calm seas passing by the Bay of Biscay.  Two of these cruises were in the fall (Sep., Oct.), one was in the spring (May).

Edited by BarbinMich

We've been hit by the Mistral wind coming down from France into the Western Med, twice- once April, and once October.

The April one we were moored next to RCI's brand new Symphony OTS, sailing for the first cruise out of Barca, and we watched her sway away ahead of us into the Mistral.... that same day, Azura was moored in Civi, and all her mooring ropes snapped.

BUT that was very early in the season. I'm talking about spring and autumn.