Sydney Ports update

18 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Ships go where the market is, and there's substantially less demand here in Winter. Most people don't want to cruise then.

Winter cruises around the Top End or to PNG or Vanuatu / New Caledonia are fantastic. It can be cool and a bit rough for a day if you're leaving from Sydney but then it's gorgeous.

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Winter cruises around the Top End or to PNG or Vanuatu / New Caledonia are fantastic. It can be cool and a bit rough for a day if you're leaving from Sydney but then it's gorgeous.

Agreed. Some top end cruises would be wonderful.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed. Some top end cruises would be wonderful.

Princess used to do them, Dawn Princess would go back and forth for a while, and those itineraries seem to always be full. We booked one in 2015, at the last minute, and had no choice of inside cabin except a guarantee. Luckily we got exactly what we booked, an IA, even though it was next to the laundrette. 

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think the popularity of P&O in the winter shows people want to cruise

P&O is Aust based so their ships sail year round here, they're not going to park them in the off season.

But evidently yields aren't as great as can be made elsewhere for those which sail elsewhere.

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

P&O is Aust based so their ships sail year round here, they're not going to park them in the off season.

But evidently yields aren't as great as can be made elsewhere for those which sail elsewhere.

Yes, they cruise all year and sail mostly full in winter showing that there is a market here rather than seeking out other regions.

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I actually enjoy the night in Sydney before, just an extra little bonus.

Especially if you meet up with the best check in agent in the world  for dinner 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Especially if you meet up with the best check in agent in the world  for dinner 😂😂😂

Mixed Grill at the City Extra, opposite the Ferries, lubbly jubbly and a big feed.  You must give it a go Graham.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, they cruise all year and sail mostly full in winter showing that there is a market here rather than seeking out other regions.

There's always a market at any price. 

The fact that they can get better prices elsewhere keeps the other ships with international options elsewhere.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There's always a market at any price. 

The fact that they can get better prices elsewhere keeps the other ships with international options elsewhere.

Agreed, but they (Royal) seem to be willing to extend their summer season until June in 2020.

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, but they (Royal) seem to be willing to extend their summer season until June in 2020.

Maybe, maybe not. They've made bookings before that don't eventuate, and that's all they are at this point: bookings. They haven't released a schedule based on that.

They're not unwilling to. Just they haven't believed returns are sufficient to justify it. I'm not sure that's changed.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:09 PM, GUT2407 said:

Not if it’s my shout he mustn’t,

It is only $35 mate, but it will keep you going for 24 hours, steak, chop, snag, bacon, chicken, mushroom, tomato, chips.  You could share it.

grill.jpg

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It is only $35 mate, but it will keep you going for 24 hours, steak, chop, snag, bacon, chicken, mushroom, tomato, chips.

I’ll have to give it a go, love a good mixed grill.

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ll have to give it a go, love a good mixed grill.

The one at City Extra is called the 'Victorian Mixed Grill.'   Lubbly Jubbly, but I left the egg off, not mad on eggs.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Coming in late on this. We returned from the islands on the 23rd of last month after a 10day cruise, and from all reports Sydney was hotter than the islands at that time, lovely cruising weather.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Time will tell I suppose. They are keeping some options open at least.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Indeed it will. As they always try to, to give them more flexibility.

RCCL do need to find itineraries for 2 ships that were doing Cuban itineraries.  Not saying we'd get those 2 but maybe allows for a reshuffle and might just be to flex and show Carnival they can't monopolise the region.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

It is only $35 mate, but it will keep you going for 24 hours, steak, chop, snag, bacon, chicken, mushroom, tomato, chips.  You could share it.

grill.jpg

Where's the rest of it?

And what's that green stuff on the plate?

Doesn't qualify as a Mic's grill in my book!