Flights to San Juan, PR

KelSny1011

Hello Experienced Cruisers & Travelers

My family and I will be traveling all the way from LAX to San Juan, PR next April.  Flights are unkindly high (lol) and I'm curious on what the average round trip flight cost you??? (if you live near me)

I'm also all ears [or eyes] if anyone has any pointers on getting the best prices possible on flights?!?!

Hi, KelSny1011

I'm traveling with my Girl Scout co-leader and 4 older Girl  Scouts (16 - 17 yo) next April from LAX to San Juan as well. It seems too early to book for many airlines, but my research showed we'd be looking at 450 - 750pp. Interested in what you find as we get closer, and I'll keep you updated, too. (We're doing the April 5th sailing - which one are you doing?)

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Southwest has round trips for as low as $400, but it's too early to book with them for next April

I'm hoping to see those kind of prices when they release their dates.  I'll be one happy girl. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HAD said:

Hi, KelSny1011

I'm traveling with my Girl Scout co-leader and 4 older Girl  Scouts (16 - 17 yo) next April from LAX to San Juan as well. It seems too early to book for many airlines, but my research showed we'd be looking at 450 - 750pp. Interested in what you find as we get closer, and I'll keep you updated, too. (We're doing the April 5th sailing - which one are you doing?)

We are the following week April 12th.  Which leads me to believe we will be dealing with holiday airfare pricing.  I looked at what flights are during Christmas and tried to not have a heart attack lol!

Just now, KelSny1011 said:

We are the following week April 12th.  Which leads me to believe we will be dealing with holiday airfare pricing.  I looked at what flights are during Christmas and tried to not have a heart attack lol!

LOL I tried to look at this year's flights around the same time in April 2019 as well as summer months. Hopefully it won't be so bad. (Fingers, toes, etc crossed. LOL) Our Troop is using earned GS Cookie Money to fund their adventure - so proud, and want their $ to go as far as possible! 😃 

• Like 1

We are flying back SW from San Juan to Pittsburgh Dec 1st after Thanksgiving cruise. Airfare to fly back per person was $733.  For that day back to LAX is $803.  

We are also flying again to SJU in April and we went ahead and booked airfare first class through American and got a really decent deal when you include cost of luggage, food and just general comfort.  We did this with a night before room in a bundle deal thru an online TA.

If the American, Delta flights are high Southwest will be too, this would be time to look at rebooking or just biting the bullet and get First Class before everything goes up.

Edited by josh.vincent.180

2 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I found a mixed economy/business round trip (Free bags) with hotel night before for $2100 for 2 people and leaving the 19th Includes meal on business legs.  

I tried to message you but I cant send messages.

if you send me your email I will send info.

Sweeeeeeet!!! I'd be interested in looking at that info. My email is haduerr[at]yahoo[dot]com. (Replace the words in brackets with the symbols. 😉 ) Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

I'd be curious to know what flight prices differ from you going to SJ to you going to MIA, flying from Western Canada the difference in flights is negligible and sometimes cheaper to go to SJ

Our family has flown from LAX to Florida airports several times and flights for us typically run anywhere from $250 to $500 round trip.  So for us it's a huge jump.  My understanding though is that flights that are heading to tourist destinations where no business is done are more expensive due to airlines not being able to make that money off the last minute business class traveler.  Maybe someone who flies more frequent or who has more knowledge can confirm if I am in fact correct.

Edited by KelSny1011

I did not take airfare into consideration AT ALL when I booked five people on a back-to-back out of SJU (Jan 2021). I took the non-refundable deposit of 100pp per sailing or $1000. I couldn't imagine wanting to cancel and figured if a health issue was the reason the credit card would cover it. 

@KelSny1011

and @HAD Looking at fares for THIS coming January (as of course 2021 is way out there), the best (and most reasonable for three people ranging in age from 62-82) round-trip LAX-SJU is Delta connecting at JFK, where you're on the ground long enough to not miss your flight, but not so long as to go stir-crazy, at $864pp. It's a red-eye from LA, but gets you to Puerto Rico in the early afternoon (the alternative being to arrive in deep dark night in a strange city to try to find your hotel!). The two of my people who will be visiting family in FL at the time are looking at about $500pp just r/t from Miami. For a total of about $3600. And that's 2020 prices! 

Thanks, Kel, for the explanation because I was having trouble wrapping my mind about it being cheaper to fly LAX to London Heathrow than MIA to SJU.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Southwest has round trips for as low as $400, but it's too early to book with them for next April.

19 hours ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I found a mixed economy/business round trip (Free bags) with hotel night before for $2100 for 2 people and leaving the 19th Includes meal on business legs.  

I tried to message you but I cant send messages.

if you send me your email I will send info.

Just curious- what airline and routing are you finding business class into SJU?  Usually from US origination points it would just be domestic first class.  Still nice, but not as fancy as true business class.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 6:58 AM, waterbug123 said:

Just curious- what airline and routing are you finding business class into SJU?  Usually from US origination points it would just be domestic first class.  Still nice, but not as fancy as true business class.

Flights to the Caribbean are called "Business Class".  But, they are really the same as domestic first class (no lay down seat).

On 6/14/2019 at 12:06 PM, time4u2go said:

Southwest has round trips for as low as $400, but it's too early to book with them for next April.

If they aren't selling seats yet there are no $400 seats.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, LadyShiva said:

You can also look at pricing for Southwest's routing of LAX-DEN-FLL-Puerto Rico currently to see what they are charging.

Eh, why? 

On 6/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, KelSny1011 said:

Our family has flown from LAX to Florida airports several times and flights for us typically run anywhere from $250 to $500 round trip.  So for us it's a huge jump.  My understanding though is that flights that are heading to tourist destinations where no business is done are more expensive due to airlines not being able to make that money off the last minute business class traveler.  Maybe someone who flies more frequent or who has more knowledge can confirm if I am in fact correct.

Airlines charge what people will pay. There's no "making up for business travel" revenue game going on here. 

What you pay to fly from LA to Florida has no bearing on what you'll pay to fly from LA to Puerto Rico, even if you go through Florida. Why? Because see my first point.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:21 AM, crystalspin said:

I was having trouble wrapping my mind about it being cheaper to fly LAX to London Heathrow than MIA to SJU.

Airlines charge what the market demands. LAX-LHR is a very competitive route with at least 6 airlines serving non-stop flights between LA and London.

Distance based pricing hasn't existed since the 1970s.

1 hour ago, kirlie said:

Flights to the Caribbean are called "Business Class".  But, they are really the same as domestic first class (no lay down seat).

Depends on the airline. AA operate some flights on A330s to SJU that have full lieflats. FWIW, there are quite a lot of domestic first class flights with lie flat beds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fbgd said:

If they aren't selling seats yet there are no $400 seats.

Yes there are.  You just didn't look close enough.

I know they aren't available yet for when the OP is cruising.  I was just providing that as a point of reference for when they do open up those flights.  At that point, they might be $400, they might be higher than $400, or they might be lower than $400.

14 hours ago, kirlie said:

My point exactly.  Perhaps some airline or another advertises it as "business class" but it's not, and that should be clear when looking at seat selection on the airline's booking site. Not all do this though; Delta, for instance, accurately refers to the seats as domestic first class.

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Yes there are.  You just didn't look close enough.

I know they aren't available yet for when the OP is cruising.  I was just providing that as a point of reference for when they do open up those flights.  At that point, they might be $400, they might be higher than $400, or they might be lower than $400.

If the airline aren't selling seats then there aren't seats at any price! Just because you are seeing $400 seats on another day doesn't mean that there will be seats for $400 when the ticketing window opens up.

Southwest's unorthodox ticket selling strategy is to obfuscate how their prices compare to the legacy carriers who have been selling tickets for months before WN open things up. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:16 PM, fbgd said:

Airlines charge what people will pay. There's no "making up for business travel" revenue game going on here. 

So would you recommend waiting to see what Southwest releases for their fare prices?  Do you have a recommendation on "when" to purchase tickets?  I'm all eyes since you seem to know a lot regarding air travel. 

Edited by KelSny1011

8 hours ago, fbgd said:

If the airline aren't selling seats then there aren't seats at any price! Just because you are seeing $400 seats on another day doesn't mean that there will be seats for $400 when the ticketing window opens up.

Southwest's unorthodox ticket selling strategy is to obfuscate how their prices compare to the legacy carriers who have been selling tickets for months before WN open things up. 

I suggest you go back and read my original post.  I never said that because there are $400 seats available now that they would be available at the time of the cruise.  

Edited by time4u2go

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I suggest you go back and read my original post.  I never said that because there are $400 seats available now that they would be available at the time of the cruise.  

So here it is:

On 6/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, time4u2go said:

Sure sounds like that was what you were implying, even though you have the "I never said" technicality.

• Like 1