Recent Dream Cruise

Been back now for almost a week so thought i,d give a mini review on our cruise

Embarkation was a breeze

Cabin,the same as last year,clean,tidy,no issues

Food,no complaints, in fact thought the food in Lido buffet had improved on last year and was good,especially enjoyed the food from the Wok station,Mrs Jim The Scot loved the soup.Breakfast in both Lido and Sirens was also good

Entertainment,enjoyed sitting in Medusa listening to Muzik Unlimited( brilliant as usual) and watching the quiz shows.

Only went to 2 shows in the Broadway which were Abba tribute and the guest act as we had previously seen the other shows or they didnt float our boat

Guest act,must say he ( Benjamin Moss)was the best guest act we have seen on our 10 or so cruises

Drinks,more than enough on the basic AI for us although they run out of bottled birri moretti after a couple of days which was disappointing,even more so when it was replaced by tins of San Migeul.Thankfully the bottles of Red Stripe and pints of Fosters were decent substitutes.Quite strict with spirit measures in some bars,not so much in others eg waters edge...Also good that you could pour your own beer,cider and wine in Lido.One difference from last year was that bar staff were not willing to make a drink not listed on AI eg Bloody Mary and certain cocktails where last year it wasnt a problem.

Service by staff in all bars was good

Enjoyed all ports especially Monaco.Was initially a tender and due to leave at 18-00 but el capitano managed to secure a berth in port and we stayed till midnight.This gave those that wanted the opportunity to go ashore and watch Champion League final

Livorno ,a shuttle at €7 per person return

Barcelona,a shuttle at €4 per person return

Great atmosphere on board with fellow passengers

Yes the ships dated blah,blah,blah but another great cruise on the Dream and off to book next years tomorrow

If anyone has any questions,fire away

Edited by Jim The Scot

Glad to hear that the dream is still awesome. The dream was our first cruise which got us hooked on cruising. Been on the Dream a few times, Island escape discovery 1 and 2 and the Explorer, but the Dream is first in our hearts. Just back from Caribbean on an other line, glass mirrors and loads of bling, had a great time but still told everyone about the Dream. 

The Dream was our first cruise after cruising on OV2 a number of times so maybe thats why me and Mrs Jim The Scot have a soft spot for her.We,ve  been on Discovery and although a lovely ship it lacked something for us( cant put finger on it)so back to the Dream it was.Obviously once the Dream goes it,ll be another Marella ship

14 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

We felt they same when Dream replaced Destiny😊

Was it the Dream which replaced Destiny?  I think we were booked on Destiny and then it was swapped for the Majesty. We'd been on Dream quite a few times prior to that.  I might be mixed up but I know for sure it was the Destiny cruise which ended up being a different ship - we were disappointed.  

Edited by kruzseeka

From what I recall the Dream was the replacement, checked my bookings and our last cruise on Destiny was March 2010 and our first on Dream was June 2011,which looks about right timewise. Just loved Destiny good old fashioned cruises with set meal times and table's, do enjoy the modern set up but it's not so easy to make friends IMO. 😉

1 hour ago, Sheila49 said:

We were booked for Destiny June 2012 and were changed to Majesty. We were on her second week. We had already done the Dream in 2010 and 2011.

I think we must have been on the same cruise Sheila.  We too had travelled four times on Dream prior to that 2012 Majesty cruise.  

This link gives the time lines: Dream joined the fleet in 2010, Destiny left in 2012 and Majesty joined in 2012.

It makes interesting reading.  We were also on one of the first Celebration cruises.   That had originally been booked for Spirit but was changed fairly near to departure.  Iirc they were keen to make an early good impression on Majesty giving the ladies a red rose as they embarked plus a glass of something to all.  I also seem to remember the food was exceptionally good on that trip too.  Perhaps it was in case we weren't too chuffed at the loss of Destiny.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marella_Cruises

Edited by kruzseeka

An interesting link, did you notice it mentions a new Marella ship entering service in 2022 (Mein Schiff Hertz ?).

We started off cruising with Sun Cruises. When they stopped operating we switched to Thomson starting with the Topaz, then Destiny, we had a booking on Dream in 2010 but had to cancel. I eventually did manage to cruise on Dream this April and am going back on her in October.

Edited by GOQ
x

17 minutes ago, GOQ said:

An interesting link, did you notice it mentions a new Marella ship entering service in 2022 (Mein Schiff 2 ?).

We started off cruising with Sun Cruises. When they stopped operating we switched to Thomson starting with the Topaz, then Destiny, we had a booking on Dream in 2010 but had to cancel. I eventually did manage to cruise on Dream this April and am going back on her in October.

Yes - interesing.  Also to look back at the history of the various ships which have come and gone with lots of happy memories for many of us I suspect.

Your thoughts on Mein Schiff 2 look to be borne out by the manufacturer, tonnage and build date here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Schiff_Herz

Edited by kruzseeka

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

I think we must have been on the same cruise Sheila.  We too had travelled four times on Dream prior to that 2012 Majesty cruise.  

This link gives the time lines: Dream joined the fleet in 2010, Destiny left in 2012 and Majesty joined in 2012.

It makes interesting reading.  We were also on one of the first Celebration cruises.   That had originally been booked for Spirit but was changed fairly near to departure.  Iirc they were keen to make an early good impression on Majesty giving the ladies a red rose as they embarked plus a glass of something to all.  I also seem to remember the food was exceptionally good on that trip too.  Perhaps it was in case we weren't too chuffed at the loss of Destiny.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marella_Cruises

Yes, we also were given a sort of medallion to commemorate the first cruise, even although we didn't board till the second week, and were upgraded from an inside cabin to an inside plus. I suppose that was to make up for the ship being changed. I wasn't keen on the layout of the Majesty after being on the Dream but we had two lovely cruises on her.

1 minute ago, Sheila49 said:

Yes, we also were given a sort of medallion to commemorate the first cruise, even although we didn't board till the second week, and were upgraded from an inside cabin to an inside plus. I suppose that was to make up for the ship being changed. I wasn't keen on the layout of the Majesty after being on the Dream but we had two lovely cruises on her.

Snap!  We never took to the layout on Majesty either although I know many did like her but that to one side, we too had a couple of really good holidays on her though I found the cabins exceptionally small especially if doing two weeks - the wardrobe space, or rather lack of it, being a real challenge.  (We didn't get an upgrade!!)   I think we must have been on the first week - you probably joined us for the second one.  Great itineraries!    

4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

From what I recall the Dream was the replacement, checked my bookings and our last cruise on Destiny was March 2010 and our first on Dream was June 2011,which looks about right timewise. Just loved Destiny good old fashioned cruises with set meal times and table's, do enjoy the modern set up but it's not so easy to make friends IMO. 😉

The swap was definately Destiny to Majesty , both Louis ships at the time ,the change over was made during the spring repo  (en route to corfu i think)

1 minute ago, okavango said:

The swap was definately Destiny to Majesty , both Louis ships at the time ,the change over was made during the spring repo  (en route to corfu i think)

Yes I think I got that from all the previous info, just trying to keep a low profile as obviously the grey cells are not as good as I thought. But I do remember the Calypso 😏

14 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Yes I think I got that from all the previous info, just trying to keep a low profile as obviously the grey cells are not as good as I thought. But I do remember the Calypso 😏

Hi P.C

agree with Sheila 49 and Kruzseeka were booked on Destiny and transferred to Majesty with family , stay and cruise with a week in Corfu first and second week cruising to Santorini with the donkeys ATHENS  KUSADASI   BODRUM lovely cruise shame about the ship to narrow and over crowded.