Edge Jumbo?: Coming in Fall, 2021!

vtcruising

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I hadn't heard many details of the Edge Class after the Apex, so figured I'd share.

I found this French article about the Apex from a few weeks ago and when translated,  it says that Edge III, Edge IV and Edge V would be larger, with a new section added. They will be 140,600 tons vs 129,500 on the Edge/Apex and 1072 feet long as opposed to 1004 ft as with Edge and Apex. There will be about 1600 cabins as opposed to 1467 on Edge and Apex. It didn't say if the ships would be wider - hope they will be wider and might add some regular verandas or at least make the IV verandas bigger.  🙂  It looks they will be adding about 135 cabins and I would think that they would add more public space (maybe another lounge, book nook, card/game space?) - I would think that they would need to make the MDRs a bit bigger with 9% more cabins and probably about 300 more guests (? continuing with 4 MDRs), as well as Blu and maybe Luminae, if more suites. The pool area might need to expand a bit as well. I know the theater would have to expand - it only holds about 970 people on the Edge.

Hopefully they will listen to feedback about the Edge while finalizing details for the Jumbos. Can't wait to see what the "Bee" (Beyond) will have to offer!

This is the translated version - that 4 years of High School French really came in handy.  😉

"Chantiers de l'Atlantique launched the second of five cruise ships ordered by the American company Celebrity Cruises. Postponed for a day because of too strong wind, the transfer of the Celebrity Apex (K34) of the form B to the dock dock Penhoët, through the form-lock Jourbert, came Friday, May 17. An operation carried out by the teams of the Nazaire shipyard, the pilots of the Loire and the tugs of Boluda France.

The K34 is the sister ship of the Celebrity Edge (J34), a 306 meter long and 39 meter wide vessel, 129,500 GT gauge and 1467 cabins delivered last October. It will be completed in March 2020.

Three other ships will complete this class, with the 5th Edge order confirmed last month at Chantiers de l'Atlantique. These future ships will nevertheless be larger than their two eldest, thanks to the addition of an additional section. The length will be increased to 327 meters and the gauge to 140,600 GT. As for the number of cabins, which is not yet official, it should turn around 1600. The L34, the first of these "Edge Jumbo", will be delivered in 2021, the next M34 in 2022 and the N34 in 2024."

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/les-chantiers-de-latlantique-mettent-leau-le-celebrity-apex

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

This is the translated version - that 4 years of High School French really came in handy.  

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/les-chantiers-de-latlantique-mettent-leau-le-celebrity-apex

You'll need to learn about Google translator, so you won't after to worry about dropping out of Spanish.😉

• Haha 1

Wow..  great scoop Vt Cruiser!  And in French no less!  But it is  not necessarily good news for all!

Glad we have  already booked on  EDGE ( again) and APEX  before the biggies come on line!

No doubt the Jumbos will fix some   perceived EDGE design  flaws...but for us going bigger will make them too much like the Royal C monsters! Too many people... not enough space like Oasis!

Summit  and M  Class ( if not sold), will be a welcome "boutique"size ship..and  Silhouette is looking good for a future cruise if the reno goes better than the one for Equinox.

I would definitely  like to know more about the wind conditions that prevented moving APEX.   Does that happen often??

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wow..  great scoop Vt Cruiser!  And in French no less!  But it is  not necessarily good news for all!

Glad we have  already booked on  EDGE ( again) and APEX  before the biggies come on line!

No doubt the Jumbos will fix some   perceived EDGE design  flaws...but for us going bigger will make them too much like the Royal C monsters! Too many people... not enough space like Oasis!

Summit  and M  Class ( if not sold), will be a welcome "boutique"size ship..and  Silhouette is looking good for a future cruise if the reno goes better than the one for Equinox.

I would definitely  like to know more about the wind conditions that prevented moving APEX.   Does that happen often??

I wondered about the number of passengers too, but will probably only bring it up to just about 150 more people than the Reflection (just guessing it might add 300 people in 135 cabins). I would be fine with that - it would be about 30 ft longer than the Reflection. I sailed on Oasis and Allure and enjoyed those ships - it never felt like there were 6000 people onboard, but do prefer the smaller ships.

I'm not sure about the wind thing. I think they were doing the first sail out so probably wanted better conditions.

Edited by vtcruising

We also did a one and done on Reflection....not sure about suite space,   but BLU and everything else  felt crowded for our interests.

We are not going to fret now..we are booked through 2020,  and hoping for something interesting on Silhouette  for 2021, if she is still doing SA..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

We also did a one and done on Reflection....not sure about suite space,   but BLU and everything else  felt crowded for our interests.

We are not going to fret now..we are booked through 2020,  and hoping for something interesting on Silhouette  for 2021, if she is still doing SA..

Yes, plenty of choices! Looking forward, though, to something different to watch being built. She’s due for delivery in the fall of 2021 so likely will start by the end of this year or early next year. 🙂

Interesting that it will be the Celebrity brand and not RCCL...

We've avoid RCCL because of the size

We are booked trough 2020 and are looking at 2021. The E class IV rooms hold no appeal. 

I wonder if this is Celebrity moving to a true ship within a ship  like NCL Haven and others.  That the addition will be suite class pool/lounges/rooms all in one area accessed by suite pax/key card only

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Interesting that it will be the Celebrity brand and not RCCL...

We've avoid RCCL because of the size

We are booked trough 2020 and are looking at 2021. The E class IV rooms hold no appeal. 

I wonder if this is Celebrity moving to a true ship within a ship  like NCL Haven and others.  That the addition will be suite class pool/lounges/rooms all in one area accessed by suite pax/key card only

Interesting. I could see that. Those suites would likely be even  more expensive than the Edge. 

55 minutes ago, hcat said:

Almost booked Silhouette 14 days SA..dh says he's not that enthused so we will wait and see what the future holds.

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

Almost booked Silhouette 14 days SA..dh says he's not that enthused so we will wait and see what the future holds.

Interesting, as my DH said the same, but he wants to see Chile...but I know he will go if I really want to...

We did a suite on Reflection and it was one of our best cruises...TA to Europe in 2017.   We met so many people and cruised with a couple from Reflection last year in Greece.

20 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Interesting, as my DH said the same, but he wants to see Chile...but I know he will go if I really want to...

We did a suite on Reflection and it was one of our best cruises...TA to Europe in 2017.   We met so many people and cruised with a couple from Reflection last year in Greece.

Reflection has been our favorite ship - so many wonderful memories on that ship! We have done suites and AQ. Suite life was great - best MC, IMO. Blu was crowded, but we had a great experience anyway.

We tend to like ships with 3000-3500 people. Although we enjoy M Class and liked the RCI Radiance Class and Empress, we gravitate toward the S Class/Edge Class size ship, with more options. Will watch the Beyond's development and see if she will be a good fit for us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

The Jan 2021 itin on Silho  for 14 days looks  awesome...antarctica, penguins, etc....but we'll keep looking at stuff.  We do not cruise on Reflection and the EQ update was disappointing. Maybe EDGE and APEX pruces will come down as the  X Big ships come on line!

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

The Jan 2021 itin on Silho  for 14 days looks  awesome...antarctica, penguins, etc....but we'll keep looking at stuff.  We do not cruise on Reflection and the EQ update was disappointing. Maybe EDGE and APEX pruces will come down as the  X Big ships come on line!

I will check and  look at that cruise, as Antarctica peeks my interest!  

My thoughts exactly about the new biggies  on the horizon; suite prices are too high.  I do have an SV booked for next May in Europe, as the suites were 16,000!  Let’s hope we are right!!!

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, cruise47 said:

I feel Celebrity  is going to add more suites to this class ship and more sunset verandas. IMHO.

I have a feeling you are right about the suites. I'm not sure if they can fit more SV's in the aft unless they take out the S1's (but doubt it), but maybe they will have traditional verandas on the sides so that people have choices.

Edited by vtcruising

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Reflection has been our favorite ship - so many wonderful memories on that ship! We have done suites and AQ. Suite life was great - best MC, IMO. Blu was crowded, but we had a great experience anyway.

We tend to like ships with 3000-3500 people. Although we enjoy M Class and liked the RCI Radiance Class and Empress, we gravitate toward the S Class/Edge Class size ship, with more options. Will watch the Beyond's development and see if she will be a good fit for us.

Beyond has a nice ring to it...there are so many things that I want to do beyond 2020...yes, i bet there are more suites too!  Yikes...an S1 for 20,000...hope they still have SV's or SV mini suites...LOL!

12 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I hadn't heard many details of the Edge Class after the Apex, so figured I'd share.

I found this French article about the Apex from a few weeks ago and when translated,  it says that Edge III, Edge IV and Edge V would be larger, with a new section added. They will be 140,600 tons vs 129,500 on the Edge/Apex and 1072 feet long as opposed to 1004 ft as with Edge and Apex. There will be about 1600 cabins as opposed to 1467 on Edge and Apex. It didn't say if the ships would be wider - hope they will be wider and might add some regular verandas or at least make the IV verandas bigger.  🙂  It looks they will be adding about 135 cabins and I would think that they would add more public space (maybe another lounge, book nook, card/game space?) - I would think that they would need to make the MDRs a bit bigger with 9% more cabins and probably about 300 more guests (? continuing with 4 MDRs), as well as Blu and maybe Luminae, if more suites. The pool area might need to expand a bit as well. I know the theater would have to expand - it only holds about 970 people on the Edge.

Hopefully they will listen to feedback about the Edge while finalizing details for the Jumbos. Can't wait to see what the "Bee" (Beyond) will have to offer!

This is the translated version - that 4 years of High School French really came in handy.  😉

"Chantiers de l'Atlantique launched the second of five cruise ships ordered by the American company Celebrity Cruises. Postponed for a day because of too strong wind, the transfer of the Celebrity Apex (K34) of the form B to the dock dock Penhoët, through the form-lock Jourbert, came Friday, May 17. An operation carried out by the teams of the Nazaire shipyard, the pilots of the Loire and the tugs of Boluda France.

The K34 is the sister ship of the Celebrity Edge (J34), a 306 meter long and 39 meter wide vessel, 129,500 GT gauge and 1467 cabins delivered last October. It will be completed in March 2020.

Three other ships will complete this class, with the 5th Edge order confirmed last month at Chantiers de l'Atlantique. These future ships will nevertheless be larger than their two eldest, thanks to the addition of an additional section. The length will be increased to 327 meters and the gauge to 140,600 GT. As for the number of cabins, which is not yet official, it should turn around 1600. The L34, the first of these "Edge Jumbo", will be delivered in 2021, the next M34 in 2022 and the N34 in 2024."

I've half been expecting this. I remember a few years ago when Edge class was announced we had the conversation on this board. With S class the first three ships are near identical, they then build a slightly larger Silhouette and then an even larger Reflection. It's as if they learn from the construction process as they go along and add to, improve the design or both. 

I wouldn't be surprised if number five or any subsequent ships in the future take a similar route to what Reflection did because they'll be teams of people in Miami trying to think of ways to improve revenue streams from the existing Edge product over the next few years from a ship design process. 

Good link. :) 

10 hours ago, cruise47 said:

I feel Celebrity  is going to add more suites to this class ship and more sunset verandas. IMHO.

That would make sense. They will be acutely aware that some people are not booking E class because of the IV's and they've been pushing their new suite class experience for the last few years. So it would make sense to focus on those two cabin types IMHO also. 

Edited by Mynki

4 hours ago, Mynki said:

I've half been expecting this. I remember a few years ago when Edge class was announced we had the conversation on this board. With S class the first three ships are near identical, they then build a slightly larger Silhouette and then an even larger Reflection. It's as if they learn from the construction process as they go along and add to, improve the design or both. 

I wouldn't be surprised if number five or any subsequent ships in the future take a similar route to what Reflection did because they'll be teams of people in Miami trying to think of ways to improve revenue streams from the existing Edge product over the next few years from a ship design process. 

Good link. 🙂

Yes, makes sense that the ships evolve as they build more, as long as they remember Darwin's "survival of the fittest" during the evolution. 🙂 

I don't know if it is true or not, but I think that because this Edge project is LLP's baby and, though there is of course a critical need for it to succeed financially, I think she has an emotional attachment as well (and not just because she is a woman). For example, the amazing curated art collection throughout the ship is an example of something that doesn't directly bring in more revenue, but is something she values and is proud of making part of the Edge Class.  After talking Edge with her onboard and watching her Q+A's and seeing her out and about on the ship on the early cruises, her pride/love for the ship was evident. She seems to want people enjoy/love the Edge Class as much as she does (in addition to the financial success), which may be one reason why there have been so many changes so fast. I have the feeling she will carry that through with the Beyond, making sure that she is a financial success with additional revenue-producing features, balanced with taking the customer needs/desires to heart. It may be my fantasy, but hopefully some truth to it. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Some things to consider:

Adding a "plug" or section to an existing design does not alter ship beam.

Edge is designed as an endoskeleton ship instead of the traditional exoskeleton.  This enables the infinite veranda.  Likely any plug will have to maintain this integrity.  

Plus will need to go in front of the engine room and likely also in front of the "Magic carpet."

Cosmetic changes and maybe a 5th MDR or an expansion for the suites are also easy with a plug..

Don't expect any significant changes to the IV or internal passageways/venues.

Would expect changes to the shops with additional passengers as they er now focus on very high-end merchandise.