Rome prior to cruise hotel recommendations

andymattmom

There are dozens of threads on the forum with hotel recommendations for Rome. I recommend you look for something (whether hotel or apt is up to you) in the central historic area, the Centro Storico. Look for locations near the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori. Be sure to look up any you are considering on Google Maps -- I find a hotel's notion of being "only steps" from Trevi Fountain can be very different from mine...

We stayed at Hotel Damaso when we were in Rome 3 weeks ago. 

It is basically across the street from Piazza Navona.  There’s a taxi station right there, also.  Right next door is a farmer’s market. There are many cafe’s and shops nearby.  

The hotel is a small one. They offer complimentary breakfast and daily happy hour.  We enjoyed our stay with them and would stay there again. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cachecara said:

We stayed at Hotel Damaso when we were in Rome 3 weeks ago. 

It is basically across the street from Piazza Navona.  There’s a taxi station right there, also.  Right next door is a farmer’s market. There are many cafe’s and shops nearby.  

The hotel is a small one. They offer complimentary breakfast and daily happy hour.  We enjoyed our stay with them and would stay there again. 

Good to hear. That is where we are booked at for August.

• Thanks 1

We stayed at Albergo Del Senato at the Pantheon and it was wonderful.  We walked everywhere from there!  Friends of mine stayed in Airbnb’s right around the corner for half the price and they had no complaints either.  One of them did have one cancel on them a month out but they easily found another one.  The Pantheon area was a great centralized location.

• Thanks 1

I did an apartment rental near the Colosseum when I stayed, it was wonderful, but my idea and yours may not be the same.  If you haven't used a home rental site before check the reviews for each apartment, as they are pretty accurate for the good/bad of the apartment.  Most will require at least three days to rent, but may be more in high season or less if it is between other bookings. You will have to scroll through the home rental options, then if you find a few you like,  ask here or tripadvisor to help you select from the options.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Brew-man said:

I've book a room at 9 Hotel Cesari.  It has good reviews and is in the heart of old Rome.  

We stayed at 9 Hotel Cesari last October prior to our cruise.  Great location and great staff.  We loved breakfast and happy hour on the rooftop.  Ask for a room not facing the street.  It got pretty loud at night.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoccerMom#3 said:

We stayed at 9 Hotel Cesari last October prior to our cruise.  Great location and great staff.  We loved breakfast and happy hour on the rooftop.  Ask for a room not facing the street.  It got pretty loud at night.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We stayed at Hotel Damaso last October. 

The Good: 1. Absolutely fantastic location for walking everywhere!

2. The BEST coffee (regular and decaf) and hot cocoa on the Planet!!!

The Bad:    1. The scraping of patio furniture above our room from midnight to 4:00 am 

on our last night there and no offering of compensation for no sleep that night!

I even went outside on our balcony and took pics of the guy who was causing the issues

and showed the manager on duty.

2. Be advised that even though the room is lovely, there is no electric outlet in the bathroom

so you can style and dry your hair, let alone shave. There is an outlet in the bedroom, but

no mirror! They are aware of the issue but have done nothing about it.

I just booked my Rome hotel for next July post-cruise...

For the fourth time, we’ll be staying at the Residenza Farnese...near the Campo Di Fiore...small four star hotel with surprisingly reasonable room rates.  Walking distance to almost everything...