A Muse-ment on the waves. Alaska Live 17.06.19

Daveywavey70

Thanks Spins 🙂

Sorry the above post is upside down. I Just tried a different way of posting piccies which seems a fair bit faster. I Posted these to FB and then just copied and pasted them onto here. As FB resizes anyway it did save time! Will just have to paste pics in reverse order next time and we should be good. Above post loaded in 11 mins. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Just tried a different way of posting piccies which seems a fair bit faster. I Posted these to FB and then just copied and pasted them onto here. As FB resizes anyway it did save time! Will just have to paste pics in reverse order next time and we should be good. Above post loaded in 11 mins. 

Great to see this background as to how the "down-sizing" has helped in the process to be able to post so many different visuals successfully on these Cruise Critic boards.  All looking good and seemingly very enjoyable with the food and activities.  Keep up the great sharing.  

Am I understanding correctly that you next two stops are Fri., June 21, Haines, noon-8 pm . . . and . . . Sat., June 22, Juneau, 7 am-5 pm?  What are your excursion plans for these two key, opportunity-rich locations?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 31,065 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Well good morning everybody. 

A Fantastic day was had yesterday. Sitka is a beautiful little town. We went for a potter in the morning and walked out to the totem pole trail and  visited the Russian Orthodox Church before returning to the ship for lunch. It was a tender port but it was only a 10 minute ride. Lunch by the pool and I tried the Camembert and a delicious Burger that was bathed in beautiful sunshine. I never expected to come to Alaska for a tan but it looks like I'm getting one anyway if I like it or not. 

After lunch we had a lovely excursion. It was booked independently from the ship and was a  whale watching ship. We saw sea otters from feet away, Sea lions and bald eagles but no whales. Our guide was more upset about it than we were as it was the most beautiful trip that we enjoyed immensely. 

So I get chatting around the pool with some new friends and a couple of TNT's later (Tanqueray and Tonic) I'm in trouble again. OH comes looking for me and sends me off to dress for dinner. Last nights outfit was an extremely sparkly jacket. Not sure I'd were it again as I was getting a bit tired of people coming up and asking me what time does the show start tonight.

So Pre dinner cocktails and canapés in the Panorama lounge and lo and behold some whales appear alongside the ship. 

Off to Dinner in Kaseiki, the Tepanyaki Restaurant.  For anybody that ever questions the quality of food on this ship then you must try Kaiseki once before you die. Words cannot quite explain the process involved in what is the true art of taking fine ingredients, adorning them with the perfect seasonings and waving a magic wand over them that results in the most exquisitely presented and finest tasting food that you could ever wish to eat. My OH's food often brings me close to tears but for entirely different reasons. The two Chefs of Kaseiki are miracle workers, magicians and conjurors of the highest level. The service was excellent. I Wont name names but there is obviously some serious competition going between 2 of the waitresses as to who can provide the best service and they are both admirable in battle. 

Off to breakfast now before an ATV mountain adventure this afternoon. Will upload yesterdays photos in a bit.

• Thanks 1

So pleased your are enjoying this trip after the disasters of the previous one. One of my favourite things is a marble Inuit carved polar bear which we bought in Sitka. It cost a fortune to have it sent to the UK but it was worth every penny and I recall Sitka with affection. 

Rp

We did the whale watching today here in Juneau. Saw a whale with her calf a few times. One whale came so close it’s breath filled the cabin. Great commentary. It was freezing cold onboard and it was raining. The side windows get lifted up for clear viewing, so if you think you won’t need the gloves and hat - pack them. DaveyWavey I hope you don’t mind me jumping in with my comments. 

We did the sea plane trip over the Glaciers. Hot inside the plane, because I had on my three layers. Not a fan of small planes but landing was smoother than landing on a runway!

First day that the weather has been ‘typical’. Otherwise weather has been warm and sunny.

Thoroughly  enjoying all the food. Last night in Silver Note, food and service was excellent.The singer was excellent. Of course everything is according to everyone’s different tastes, both literally and otherwise.😁

6 minutes ago, poohkey said:

So interesting to follow along with you.  We are going on the Silver Muse August 1.  It will be our first time to Alaska and our first time on Silversea.  

I hope you have a fantastic trip:classic_biggrin:....I have been to Alaska multiple times and always use the term "majestic" when it comes to sailing there.  When the weather is good, you can see the sky meeting the horizon......meeting the water...…….really quite amazing.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

A Fantastic day was had yesterday. Sitka is a beautiful little town. We went for a potter in the morning and walked out to the totem pole trail and  visited the Russian Orthodox Church before returning to the ship for lunch. It was a tender port but it was only a 10 minute ride. Lunch by the pool and I tried the Camembert and a delicious Burger that was bathed in beautiful sunshine. I never expected to come to Alaska for a tan but it looks like I'm getting one anyway if I like it or not. After lunch we had a lovely excursion. It was booked independently from the ship and was a  whale watching ship. We saw sea otters from feet away, Sea lions and bald eagles but no whales.

Appreciate these continued great details, comments and follow-ups.  Wonderful sharing by Davey, turnip eater, trigggirl, etc.  Keep it coming'!!!

Super loved this quote from Lois R: "always use the term 'majestic' when it comes to sailing there.  When the weather is good, you can see the sky meeting the horizon......meeting the water...…….really quite amazing."   Before we board the Silver Muse on July 25, in just 32 days, it would be super if you could share more details and specifics as to the exact locations and activities that you enjoyed the most in Alaska.  Other "can't miss" Alaska tips, insights and suggestions from Lois?

For poohkey, it will be our first time in Alaska, but our sixth with Silversea.  I will do a live/blog and can answer any questions before you board in Seward on August 1.  Are you doing the pre-cruise Silversea excursion to Denali before your August cruise?

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Terry, I LOVED my floatplane tour with Island Wings out of Ketchikan. So much so, I did the same tour on 2 of my sailings.

I know it is redundant, but when the plane flies between the fjords? It is AMAZING...………:classic_biggrin:

And another lovely view is if you take the cable car in Juneau up to Mt Roberts. I would recommend it too!

Not sure if you go to Victoria but it is also a favorite place of mine. Butchart Gardens is a "MUST SEE".

I know they are not in Alaska but they are on many Alaska itineraries.  They are some of the most beautiful gardens I have ever visited.:classic_biggrin:

https://www.butchartgardens.com/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Terry, I LOVED my floatplane tour with Island Wings out of Ketchikan. So much so, I did the same tour on 2 of my sailings.  I know it is redundant, but when the plane flies between the fjords? It is AMAZING...………And another lovely view is if you take the cable car in Juneau up to Mt Roberts. I would recommend it too!   Not sure if you go to Victoria but it is also a favorite place of mine. Butchart Gardens is a "MUST SEE".

Great follow-up from Lois.  While we will not be doing a floatplane tour at Ketchikan, we will be doing "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery Tour" at Juneau.  That should offer some nice sights and experiences for this dramatic area of Alaska.  We will be using Wings Airways that is operated by the daughter of a friend of ours from here in Central Ohio.  She has me set-up to be the co-pilot!!  Should be excellent fun.  Also, am planning to take the cable car up to the top of Mt. Roberts.  Plus, Mendenhall Glacier/Gardens.  Fortunately, we are in Juneau from 9 am to 11 pm.  Keep up the great sharing of ideas and tips.  Hope it helps other, too.  

As to Butchart Gardens and Victoria, we have visited there previously.  Really loved that town, its charm, sights, etc.  No need to visit back on this trip, especially since this will be our first visit to Vancouver and there is much great to see in that famed water-front, cosmopolitan town.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,471 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

All and everybody are very welcome to jump in with posts, pics and pinions. 

So catching up a bit now, Haines was beautiful, the sail in was so stunning and yet another glorious sunny day. What an absolutely beautiful town with a backdrop that words can do no justice to. ATV adventure was booked up in the Chilkoot mountains.It was sooo much fun. I Was absolutely filthy! No not like that, the dust gets almost everywhere!

image.thumb.png.ab160f10859b8d06d6da0250f2b75a0e.png

We spent a couple of hours around the mountains having a great time. Highly recomended tour.  

image.png.c65b16df82bc2ef86d1a80b537e41010.png

image.png.22cbc45c478f41bb86a8e038167d28ad.pngOn returning to the ship our extremely thoughtful Butler Chetan had arranged for Caviar on the Verandah along with a nice bottle of LP Rose which went down very well indeed. Off to pre dinner Cocktails and Canapés in the the Panorama Lounge and then onto Dinner. 

image.thumb.png.f5a6d68380c5b6f08ca60bba80ac05a0.png

image.png.b983ff864063f200a7e2be083f2f2a72.png

Dinner in Indochine was extremely good.

image.png.e204a9e308176dd4c03c6a5144faf387.png

image.png.6d07aad7754630cff1cc8a94086c2d86.pngTeriyaki Chicken to start for me and Spring Rolls for him followed by the Egg Drop Soup

image.png.2c36d622d819f9ba203e8069a77a60c1.png

We then both had the Char Sui Beef, mine with noodles his with Saffron Rice

image.thumb.png.f520b7473e45eac4a88b150576e7409b.png

And a scrummy Brûlée to finish. Then off to the deck to see the midnight sun! I Must say at this point that I think Silversea missed a trick not organising anything for Solstice as it was our northernmost point on Solstice and there were loads of people out on deck to celebrate it. So for anyone that missed it this next photo was taken on the stroke of midnight as we sailed from Haines to Ketchikan.

image.png.1b69c7782aa14269d284311658753a8f.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

image.png

Edited by Daveywavey70
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

And then there was Ketchikan. As the song goes, What a difference a day makes.

image.thumb.png.88f7ffe42062981ca427b5fd4fb8c329.png

All helicopter flights were cancelled for the morning but ours wasn't cancelled until 12.05 which left us in a bit of a panic to find something to do so, as we had had a whaleless whale watching excursion in Sitka we thought we'd give it another go. We were driven across to the boat by a very sweet but extremely loud man who kept shouting things down the bus with great gusto about his Philippino wife who lives in the Philippines and he has to send all his hard earned tips too. I was sure there was a story there but wasn't getting involved. I Certainly wasn't going to be adding to her shoe and handbag fund! I Usually tip really well but never after being repeatedly prompted to! So off we went in search of Humpbacks.

First we found Sasha, who was just quietly going about her day doing what Whales do. There's something very emotional about being so close to such beautiful creatures. I Was tickled on several occasions by the questions being asked by one of our fellow whales watchers, the best of which was when she asked where do Whales go when they die. I Was tempted to go over and start a theological debate as to the pro's and con's of whale heaven but thought it best not too. We then came across a calf around 5 months old called Bunsen. He was so cute and he was having a real party just playing and breaching repeatedly for what seemed like ages. He was eventually joined by his mum, Flame. When mum turned up he stopped messing around and started behaving himself, it brought a smile to my face thinking how kids are all the same. Right at the end I got some beautiful video footage of them alongside each other doing a double dip, First a little tale appeared and disappeared followed by much larger one a second later. Unfortunately the 18 second clip that was reduced to 720p is still uploading since 7p.m. yesterday!

So back to our suite where our lovely Canapés were waiting for us. I Must just comment at this point on the crew. I Have never anywhere encountered so many fabulous crew members all in one place. Many of them remember us from our last trip. I Wont mention their names here right now because I don't want to offend any of them by mis-spelling their names so I'm going to take pics of their name badges later.

Dinner last night was our second visit to Kaseiki. A Wonderful meal with wonderful company (you know who you are). The service was again amazing and the food incredible. I Caught the exec chef the other night and expressed my absolute appreciation of those two very talented chefs. Dinner was again washed down with an excellent Vouvray. One thing that is extremely curious is the disappearance of the included wine list. I tried to get a copy a couple of months ago with no success. Now we're onboard I've been equally as unsuccessful. I Am starting to think that it just doesn't exist. I've asked several times only to be told that there is no included list any more. One server managed to show me her printed spreadsheet and was extremely apologetic.

After Dinner the entertainment was fantastic. Instead of singing Opera classics to a nearly empty room, last night the entertainment team instead came up to the Panorama and did a show there. It was fantastic, extremely well attended and the atmosphere was electric. The dance floor was packed!  So many commented on what a fantastic evening it was. This was all topped off with a wonderful floorshow from one of our favourite servers practically poll dancing whilst adorned in a pair of curtains he'd just stolen. He is an absolute star!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

So this morning was the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show. Lots of Fun followed by a flight seeing trip to Misty Fjords.

DJI_0050.JPG

Thank you very much! I now can't get Monty Python's Lumberjack song out of my brain! 🙂 🙂 

• Haha 2

Yes I meant Juneau but It wouldn't let me correct it!

We're starting to get a feeling of Deja Vu now. Our TV hasn't worked since we boarded. Reported it to reception. It was apparently fixed when we came back today but without any sound. Its now 2am and still not working. OH is now getting quite fraught as this was Silversea's sincere apology and their "opportunity to put things right and show us the "usual standard of superb service that they provide" with the 25% future cruise credit from our last disaster with them.

Apart from last nights excellent entertainment when all of the team came and really got the party going in the Panorama lounge, the ship is like the Marie Celeste by midnight so he has spent the other 4 nights turning in early and trying to watch a film to no avail. The complete lack of soundproofing between suites means that we can hear perfectly next doors TV in 512 extremely well for around 18 hours a day so maybe we should just try watching the same programmes as them. They apparently like anything with Tom Cruise in.

Our tour today was a complete washout. We paid over £600 to go and see the bears of Anan Creek. We found out shortly after boarding the Jetboat that we were visiting a full 2 weeks before the bears were expected. Not a surprise as they the permits start on the 5th July every year. Needless to say the guide wasted as much time as he could combing the beach etc before taking us up to the bear observation platform without any bears to observe. In my opinion Silversea knowingly miss-sold this very expensive excursion that turned out to be nothing more than a walk in the woods. Upon returning to the ship we went into a very sleepy Wrangell and bought some Gummy Bears. These were the only bears we saw despite being £600 and $1.79 down.

DJI_0564.thumb.JPG.5960b4a7f10f43e4bd15ffdee3d6e52c.JPG

Dinner tonight was mediocre. We ate in Atlantide and whilst most of the meal was extremely good, the Limousin steak was appalling. I Felt like I'd had a full workout by the time I'd finish sawing it and chewing it. It was so tough I was getting flashbacks to the lumberjack show. The gentleman on the next table even commented on the hard work he observed involved in us cutting it. Service too was patchy, we had to ask 3 times and wait 20 mins for butter to arrive.

It is really starting to feel that my optimism from the first half of the cruise might have been misplaced and I'm beginning to regret not just taking them to court last time instead of taking the easy route of the future cruise credit.

21 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

It is really starting to feel that my optimism from the first half of the cruise might have been misplaced and I'm beginning to regret not just taking them to court last time instead of taking the easy route of the future cruise credit.

I do appreciate the honesty of this report . . . so many CC people only want to hear that it's the greatest cruise in human history when usually it isn't.  Stuff happens.  Bears spend June in Las Vegas.  Everyone knows that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DW:

Have you talked with your neighbors in 512 about the volume on their TV?  It is disappointing that you should find this a continuing problem.  I have encountered this issue occasionally on every cruise line I have used (including Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, and Silversea).  I am very sensitive to such noise — as I am to the slamming of the doors of the adjoining suite — and I have invariably found that a polite request to the neighbors brings instant results.  Well, perhaps not invariably:  On one occasion (not on Silversea) I had to escalate the matter to the HD.   

Sorry for the other flies in your Silversea pudding.

Enjoy!