A Muse-ment on the waves. Alaska Live 17.06.19

Daveywavey70

WRANGELL
This morning was wet and miserable looking, normal for here. We boarded a boat to go look at otters. Only ten on the trip so lots of room. The otters were larger than I had imagined, they float on their backs with their big furry babies on their tummies. We had to be half a football field away from them so had to use binoculars.
More interesting was the life story of the skipper. A number of years ago Alaska had a lottery, you could buy $15 tickets. The winners were given 3 acres of land. The deal being they had to build a house on the land and live on it for 3 years. So the skipper bought 10 tickets. He won his piece of land on the shore of an island only accessible by boat. He has a garden, grows potatoes, garlic, beans etc. He cans everything. I asked if he hunted for meat and fished. He said he comes into town occasionally and buys different fish, occasionally shoots a small deer. He cooks everything and preserves it to eat later. He lives totally off the grid. 
He sometimes supplements his money by scuba diving for sea cucumbers which he sells to the Chinese. He has a 1000 litre water tank for rainwater. Has solar panels for light, sometimes has running water. I think he lives alone. In the winter it’s only light for 3 hours. He says it’s a time for catching up on projects, doing some reading. I found his life fascinating and could have listened all day.

Formal night. We headed to Indochine. Gado gado, Lobster pad Thai, Rogan josh, saffron rice, followed by kaffir lime and ginger creme caramel. Happy tum. Early to bed and sober yay!

Before we sailed I was very concerned about the formal. I wore a knee length cocktail dress which I felt was perfect for me. But there was all sorts, trousers with sparkly top, some men in black suits and bow ties, others in lighter colour suits and ties. I didn’t see any “to the ground” gowns, but maybe that’s because we were in Indochine.

We had dinner in Atlantide yesterday evening and it was very slow. The place was packed and the staff, kitchen and waiting, just couldn’t keep up.  Service in general is very variable, excellent to poor. The other day I asked waiter if the salmon was Alaskan (early on in the cruise) he just shrugged and said ‘ I don’t know’, then stood there. I checked with the Head Waiter (it was Alaskan) and suggested that she tell the waiter this.  This is not 6 star cruising/service that Silversea claims to be. We have commented on the mid-cruise feedback form and received a reply stating if we don’t tell management they won’t  know..........

We’ve been told that with all the new ships coming out, they’re having difficulty recruiting  enough higher grade staff.🤔

Still having a good time, scenery fantastic. 😊

Well thankfully things are looking up.The Communications manager came to our suite this morning and toiled for nearly 10 whole seconds to fix the TV. It's such a shame that the guy sent to fix it yesterday or any of the other maintenance staff on duty didn't know which port to plug the speaker into. I'm assuming that the title of communications manager just refers to electronics and not actually communicating how things work to the people that are sent to fix them. OH can now finally watch a film and my ears will be very pleased about that.

We are presently on the Misty Fjords, one of the most beautiful places that I have ever had the privilege to see. The Zodiac experience this morning was superb. Obviously this whole expedition side of things is new to the Muse but it was handled very well.  The only thing that I wasn't keen on was hanging around for quite some time in a very warm Indochine with a large crowd of people in all of my thermal gear and a very claustrophobic life jacket. Embarking and disembarking the Zodiacs was very easy for anybody with good mobility and it felt very stable the whole time. The Fjord itself is absolutely stunning. We have had our first lunch at la Terrazza with the most amazing backdrop that you could ever wish for.

MF1.jpg.193e77fc2d229b75a1c6a3865786bf5a.jpg

MF2.jpg.bd94c2fa7daebfaeb068ab9af0354391.jpg

Dinner tonight is at Hot Rocks so I'm pretty hopeful it will be better than last nights as I'm quite good at cooking steak!

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for your amazing posts & photos.  It's really eye candy!  Sorry Davey about the lack of soundproofing with your neighbor.  I hope (sincerely) that this has been fixed.  It was a huge problem at first but I thought they fixed it.  Please say something to the neighbors or the staff.  

We will be on board for the last sailing from Vancouver & continuing to Japan.  Can you ask, if the opportunity arises, who the Capt & CD will be?  

Love your posts, all & please keep them coming!  Continue to enjoy!

I’m feeling really annoyed tonight. A few nights ago we ate at la dame with the extra cost. They didn’t suggest a cheese course so we asked for it to be sent to our room. It was a few pieces of cheddar and other hard cheese squares. So tonight we ate at Atlantide. We were there at 7pm. Nice table at the window. After dinner, which wasnt warm (and we gave the waiter the heads up it could be warmer). The waiter brought the desert menu. I said I wanted a blue cheese... immediately he said, I will bring you the cheese menu... it’s like something from a Mario game, I hit the mushroom, now I can have the cheese menu. All the time they treat us this way just makes you mad. Please if you are reading his and coming on the cruise ask for everything. The two wines they offer is a fraction on offer etc etc..... I asked for chocolate martini in the panorama lounge, fabulous. Then had a rose wine. At dinner asked for cote de Rhone, lovely. At lunch in Kaiseki we had amazing sushi and ate it with vouvray wine. Fantastic. It just all takes ages to find these things. We have paid too much for a game of Mario.

10 hours ago, nowornever said:

Thank you all so much for your amazing posts & photos.  It's really eye candy!  We will be on board for the last sailing from Vancouver & continuing to Japan.  Can you ask, if the opportunity arises, who the Capt & CD will be?   Love your posts, all & please keep them coming!  Continue to enjoy!

YES, agree on appreciating all of the "eye-candy" visuals and nice details from Davey, Trigggir and turnip eaterl   Trigggirl is correct that some newcomers to Silversea do not always knows the "secrets" for asking about getting some "special" options.  Those options are available and good.  BUT, many are shy and do not always ASK!!  Great sharing by all.  Keep it coming'!!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,217 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

2 hours ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

I'm not shy, but I need to know what to ask for!

Congratulations to our above Georgia Peach friend in not being shy.  YES, there are many options to consider.  In the main dining areas, if you ask a day or so in advance, they can potentially come up with and satisfy a variety of special meal request.  As past examples, we asked and enjoyed a multi-court Thai dinner for our group of eight during one cruise with Silversea.  Another time, we had a special five-course birthday dinner for my wife.  In sailing south along the Norway coast, we did a "tail-gate party" in our regular balcony suite for six of us as we watched the final game of the World Cup.  It was just a matter of working in advance with our Butler and ordering off of the room service menu to have a nice mix of pizza, hot dogs, burgers, wine, beer, desserts, etc.  Was great fun!!  See the visual proof/evidence below.  

As an example on wine, they offer a couple of different wines each evening.  But in sailing north on the Silver Spirit after a day in Bordeaux, I asked if they had any options for wines from that wonderful, specific region of France.  YES, they brought out a couple of options that worked super well.   Sure, there are some high-end, extra-cost wine options.  BUT, you don't need to go that route to get certain wines and beverages that fit your personal interests.  As to foods, meats, etc., research and prepare a food "wish list".  When you get on the ship, ask the dining room manager if any of these options might be scheduled for the regular evening menus when you will be on the ship.  If not, ask if getting any of those item prepared during a later evening would be possible. 

Do these ideas and examples help? 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 221,926 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

For our 2010 World Cup Championship Game, Spain versus Holland, this was our “PARTY” set-up in our room as we sailed south along the scenic Norway coast.Tis set-up worked well for the size of our room with six in that space. Eight people would have been too tight for such a party in a regular suite. Our great Butler, Parai, is shown and pulled together all of the food and drink options from the regular "room service" menu. It was great fun, plus an exciting game, too.: 

WorldCupPartySilverCloud.jpg

• Thanks 1

I think if you want something, just ask,they may not have it, Different pillows, certain food or drink, just ask. but they may be ableto get it. Eg my husband wanted a ‘dark and stormy’, but there was no Ginger Beer on the ship. We were chatting to the F and B  manager and he said he’d get some. When we arrived at Juno, he sent someone out  to get the Ginger Beer and other drinks guests had requested....so whatever it is , just ask. They can always say no, but rarely do.

Typed in bright sunlight on deck 11, please excuse any typos.

• Thanks 1

Dinner last night was in Hot Rocks on the pool deck. My steak was cooked to perfection! After dinner we went on up to the Panorama lounge to enjoy an absolutely stunning Sunset.
image.png.8c1d9072b7b3c08df492eb13dfd39d14.png
Afterwards we went to the Silver Note for the Frank Sinatra evening performed by the absolutely Superb Jazz duo, Esther and Chantal.

A Beautiful day in Prince Rupert today. We went on the Jet Boat excursion on the Exchamsiks River. A Lot of fun. Our boat actually broke down as we were about to set off so we ended up having to paddle the boat back to the shore. We had to wait until the other boat returned and they took us out on that one. The scenery was stunning and the jet boat a great fun. Back to the ship for a quick afternoon tea and a bit of sunbathing. Dinner in Kaseiki this evening for the 3rd time! Day at sea tomorrow and then ready for our last night onboard! 
image.png.533a1c9f4ba9c074684fd4824ae95b46.png

image.png.db801fda3e24c2b05a98b9121e85d19c.png

image.png.2e276db1f21245f3314acf4abdf74d63.png
  • Like 1

Uncloaking for a brief visit.

DaveyWavey, et al:  hope you enjoy your cruise thru the inside passage tomorrow.  You'll be in my backyard.  The Muse will pass by our place around 4 am, so I won't expect you to get up and wave (despite your nickname on this forum).  

Pictures at night are difficult - we just see floating bundles of light in the distance.

But here's a shot of the Muse from our deck when she was northbound.  (She's the smaller ship in the photo, but in the lead!)

IMG_1132.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are having the long sail today. Slow breakfast, lovely lounge around reading, I’m quite enjoying it.

I have been thinking over the cruise and the things that I’ve loved.

Included internet coverage. I knew we had wifi, but thought it would be restricted.

Heaters outside. It’s lovely at night to sit outside after dinner having a drink without needing a coat.

Blankets if you get cool sitting around the pool.

The fantastic staff. Such kind people, nothing is too much trouble. Genuine smiles and the occasional chat. 

Alaska’s beauty - I didn’t expect it to be so close.

We brought a little set of binoculars which have been handy for watching the shore from our balcony. Yesterday at Prince Regent our balcony overlooked the crab fishing boats that were being unloaded, great to watch.

The cabins are a great size, our Buttler brought our cases out and placed them on stands next to the bed and they aren’t even in the way. Left a note saying he could help with the packing too - kind, but no😝

The coffee has been great. I had been expecting a lack of caffeine, but was delighted with double shot cappuccinos.

I won’t say any more or you won’t have any surprises.

Best desert Indochine for Creme Brûlée’s, I will definitely be having one last one of those.

I spent hours before the cruise looking for information, hope this has helped. I packed for summer and winter and used all of it. Just bring for all weathers and you will do well. Failing that, most of the stops have had good, all price clothes.

Cheers x

Edited by Trigggirl
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Trigggirl said:

We are having the long sail today. Slow breakfast, lovely lounge around reading, I’m quite enjoying it.  I have been thinking over the cruise and the things that I’ve loved.

Included internet coverage. I knew we had wifi, but thought it would be restricted.

Heaters outside. It’s lovely at night to sit outside after dinner having a drink without needing a coat.  The fantastic staff. Such kind people, nothing is too much trouble. Genuine smiles and the occasional chat. Alaska’s beauty - I didn’t expect it to be so close. The cabins are a great size.  The coffee has been great. I had been expecting a lack of caffeine, but was delighted with double shot cappuccinos.   I packed for summer and winter and used all of it. Just bring for all weathers and you will do well. Cheers x

Super excellent points and tips above from Trigggirl.  Very insightful and helpful!!!   I have highlighted some of the most important items for our personal interests, especially for my wife with the coffee.  Love the sunny pictures and continued great sharing from Davey.  Nice details from turnip eater.  Very good picture and sighting from MLeh.  Keep it coming.  Wanting more and more.  

When handy and if time, tell us more as the Silver Muse's Captain, how long the HD, CD, etc., will be continuing on the ship, etc.   Looks like folks will be departing the Silver Muse in just a couple of hours.  Safe travels home.  

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

23 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Just arriving at a rainy Canada Place.  wondering if Daveywavey70 managed any good drone shots????

YES!!  Looking forward to learning more as to how the drone videos worked.  Plus, seeing that moving video and many other visuals.  Sorry about the rain in Vancouver. 

Now, the Silver Muse shifts into a more "regular" seven-day schedule for going up and down these waters of Alaska and Canada.  Hopefully, there will be some on these upcoming sailings during the next month to be able to report here and share added info/background.  Here is that next schedule for the Silver Muse: 

June 27, Thur., Vancouver, departing 6 pm
June 28, Fri., Cruise Inside Passage
June 29, Sat., Ketchikan, 7:30 am-2 pm
June 30, Sun, Juneau, 9 am-5 pm
July 1, Mon., Skagway, 11:30 am-8 pm
July 2, Tues., Sitka, 9 am-6 pm
July 3, Wed., Cruise Hubbard Glacier, Alaska, 8 am-noon
July 4, Thur., Seward, arrive 7 am.

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,394 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

18 hours ago, Trigggirl said:

We are having the long sail today. Slow breakfast, lovely lounge around reading, I’m quite enjoying it.

Heaters outside. It’s lovely at night to sit outside after dinner having a drink without needing a coat.

The fantastic staff. Such kind people, nothing is too much trouble. Genuine smiles and the occasional chat. 

We brought a little set of binoculars which have been handy for watching the shore from our balcony. Yesterday at Prince Regent our balcony overlooked the crab fishing boats that were being unloaded, great to watch.

The cabins are a great size, our Buttler brought our cases out and placed them on stands next to the bed and they aren’t even in the way. Left a note saying he could help with the packing too - kind, but no😝

The coffee has been great. I had been expecting a lack of caffeine, but was delighted with double shot cappuccinos.

Best desert Indochine for Creme Brûlée’s, I will definitely be having one last one of those.

I spent hours before the cruise looking for information, hope this has helped. I packed for summer and winter and used all of it. Just bring for all weathers and you will do well. Failing that, most of the stops have had good, all price clothes.

Cheers x

On this cruise from Seward to Vancouver late August with silver friends.
You dodged a packing bullet!  Previously on Silversea as newbies we said OK to the butler packing our stuff.  We felt we needed something for him to do as we'd never really used his services.  Came back to the room and found out he'd missed the largest suitcase although it was right under the bed with the others and everything was jammed & stuffed into the others!  Amazing job!  Fortunately we had time & energy to repack amid bouts of laughter.

Edited by philw1776
  • Haha 4

On 6/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Trigggirl said:

Cheers x

These posts have been so informative!  Thank you to DaveyWavey Trigggirl and the other posters - I have been following along and desperate for details.  We are on the Seward-Vancouver next week.  All of your shared experiences have made me look forward to it all the more.  Happy trails!

Yes, thank you for the wonderful posts & photos.  Amazing!  So happy you had great (mostly) weather.  We will look forward to posts from those of you going on board soon!  Be safe & send lots of photos & information.  We will be on the very last one of the season which goes on to Japan so I doubt seriously we'll be as lucky, weather wise.  Safe travels all & again THANK YOU !