A Muse-ment on the waves. Alaska Live 17.06.19

Daveywavey70

On 7/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, Fortunate2 said:

Ahhhh...Davey, you are so right!  I was thinking of the fun we had at Kaiseki, sitting across the aisle from you and D, your magnificent  dinner jacket.   The chef-prepared lobster was like nothing we'd ever enjoyed and the Kobe beef was out of this world!

Those dishes sound wonderful.  From this Texas CC Board poster, any added tips and suggestions that you can share for the Silver Muse and these parts of Alaska?  Our July 25 sailing from Vancouver is getting closer and our excitement is building up, UP; higher and HIGHER!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,320 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the Muse just a week ago:

Captain Marco Sangiacomo - very engaging, noon updates and frequently seen throughout the ship

Rico du Briel - Cruise Director - enjoyed our second voyage with Rico.  He's very approachable - good guy 

Chelo - Asst. Cruise Director - calls good Bingo - he's new to the Muse by a couple of voyages

Jimmy Lovell - Hotel Director - everyone can't say enough good things about Jimmy.  He remembers everyone's name!

Executive Chef Anne-Marie Cornelius - awesome!  Enjoyed her demonstration and she wants to know what passengers think

Terry, there's a good chance the weather is going to be warmer than expected.  We had little rain (one day) and some light drizzle another.  Our June 17 cruise stopped in Haines where they had no idea how to turn the AC on in the travel van; it was a good thing some of us "southerners" (meaning the Lower 48) were on board.  

Our cruise was fortunate to have SS Expedition Staff on board and they not only conducted the enrichment lectures, but engaged with passengers throughout the voyage.  One of the many benefits was that they knew each of our ports and could make suggestions on where to look for wildlife.  Overall, we found that we liked the excursions best that were by boat, fishing vessel or jet boat.  Several morning excursions by plane and helicopter were cancelled due to low visibility but those later in the day made it without a problem.   Looking at your July 25 itinerary:

In Ketchikan Expedition Staff spoke about the Bear Country Wildlife Experience.  We were too early but, beginning the third week of July, the bears are looking for fish and we understand this is an outstanding excursion.  Your July 27th port day should be perfect.  We had an enjoyable time on the "duck" Land & Sea tour but wish we'd skipped the Lumberjack show heading to Wildlife Rainforest Sanctuary instead.

In Juneau we had an excellent experience on "Discover Alaska's Whales".  It was very interesting, the boat first stopped to check, log and report captured ocean creatures including an unusual crustacean the scientific guide discussed  and then passed around for all to hold before heading out to spot the whales.  The boat's captain knew where to head and within 15 minutes we were finding whales.  Snacks weren't much but no one seemed to mind and I think everyone on board was sorry when we returned to the pier.

We've didn't stop at Skagway this trip but, years ago we were there and loved exploring the old mining town.  My bride reminded me that we had booked a private guide knew seemed to be an "eagle whisperer".  I haven't been able to find his name again but maybe he's still out there.   I noticed they offer "Haines through a Lens" as an excursion out of Skagway.  On our voyage the Muse docked in Haines for the day and sadly, other than following another tour van to a spot where they spotted a young bear foraging for food, the tour didn't measure up to our other excursions.  I say that while admitting the bear sighting was terrific.

In Sitka we booked the afternoon "Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest" excursion and it was excellent. This was different than the other boating excursions as the captain showed knew and seemed to enjoy showing us the inlets in and around Sitka.  We saw eagles, sea otters and the onboard guide showed us the salmon gates where they funnel back into the ocean.  Our understanding  from other passengers was that the morning excursions saw more sea otters but not much other wildlife.

Probably more than you were looking for but we had a great time on a well kept and staffed ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

P6200283a.jpg

P6220670.jpg

P6220657.jpg

P6200420 copy1.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Fortunate2 said:

On the Muse just a week ago:  Captain Marco Sangiacomo - very engaging, noon updates and frequently seen throughout the ship

Rico du Briel - Cruise Director - enjoyed our second voyage with Rico.  He's very approachable - good guy 

Jimmy Lovell - Hotel Director - everyone can't say enough good things about Jimmy.  He remembers everyone's name!

Executive Chef Anne-Marie Cornelius - awesome!  Enjoyed her demonstration and she wants to know what passengers think

Terry, there's a good chance the weather is going to be warmer than expected.  We had little rain (one day) and some light drizzle another.  Our June 17 cruise stopped in Haines where they had no idea how to turn the AC on in the travel van; it was a good thing some of us "southerners" (meaning the Lower 48) were on board.  

Looking at your July 25 itinerary:

In Ketchikan Expedition Staff spoke about the Bear Country Wildlife Experience.  We were too early but, beginning the third week of July, the bears are looking for fish and we understand this is an outstanding excursion.  Your July 27th port day should be perfect.  We've didn't stop at Skagway this trip but, years ago we were there and loved exploring the old mining town.  

we had a great time on a well kept and staffed ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

Appreciate these super great pictures, details, comments and follow-ups. Wonderful background and info.  Keep it coming!!!!  More and more!!   It is building up the excitement for our July 25 sail-away on the Silver Muse from Vancouver.   I assume for Hotel Director you mean Jimmy Kovel?  Right?  K not L on his last name??  Recall how long he and the Captain will be continuing on this ship?  When will they complete their duties on the Silver Muse?

From the New York Post late this morning, they had this headline: “Alaska heat wave could bring record temperatures” with these highlights: “Alaska has been hit with record-high temperatures that have the arctic state packing heat.  The unusual heat wave will have the northernmost state cooking in temperatures of 87 degrees or higher over the holiday weekend, starting July 4 through Monday, the National Weather Service said. Scorching temperatures could continue into next week and challenge the all-time high temperature at Anchorage International Airport of 85 degrees on June 14, 1969.   Temperatures in the 80s and 90s are rare for some parts of the state, such as south-central Alaska, where air conditioners are hard to come by in most households.”

Full story at:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/04/alaska-heat-wave-could-bring-record-temperatures/

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Yes, yes - it's Jimmy Kovel, HD.  Fingers just wouldn't spell correctly:-)

Knowing that it's a bit warmer this year could open up new possibilities like it's going to be much more pleasant to walk around glaciers in short sleeves instead of insulated jackets.  Like Davey, careful you don't get too much hot sun.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, Fortunate2 said:

Knowing that it's a bit warmer this year could open up new possibilities like it's going to be much more pleasant to walk around glaciers in short sleeves instead of insulated jackets.  Like Davey, careful you don't get too much hot sun.

Don't celebrate or despair that, long-term, a big warming trend is coming to Alaska.  Just a rare exception to the "norm".  Below is the two week AccuWeather forecast for Juneau late this month when we will be in this part of the 49th state.   It is now 19 days till we board the Silver Muse and ten days until we depart for Calgary, the Rocky Mountains, Vancouver, etc.  

Did get from my Silversea sources as to the update for staffing on the Silver Muse during our July 25 sailing: "Jimmy Kovel is now Hotel Director, however he will be off when you sail and Paolo Percivale will be the Hotel Director. Rico Du Breil will be the Cruise Director.  Executive Chef will be Ratko Jeremic.  Anne Marie will be off."  Anyone who has had experiences with Rico or Paolo?  Understand they are both well experienced and gain very good ratings.  

Any more pictures, postings, tips, etc., from Davey and/or others having done recent Silver Muse Alaska sailings?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,155 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From AccuWeather, below are their weather projections for Juneau conditions in late July and early August.  Cooler!!  More rain??.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1652002967_ScreenShot2019-07-06at9_31_13AM.thumb.png.316c69a4b8c5edd999376bf8b90b68fb.png

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Rico was CD when we were on Terry and he was absolutely brilliant, a genuinely lovely guy to talk too and a great CD.

Great to hear this super positive feed-back for CD Rico Du Breil.  Looking forward to meeting him.  Appreciate this great follow-up.  Keep it coming!!  Any addition info is welcome from Davey and any others. 

From a recent Travel+Leisure magazine profile, they had this headline: “Vancouver Travel Guide” with these highlights: “Vancouver is a classic Pacific Northwest city: diverse, cultured, and surrounded by spectacular natural beauty. Its numerous public parks, mountains, and waters in and around the city make it an excellent playground for outdoor enthusiasts. Meanwhile, its forward-thinking hotels, restaurants, and galleries have transformed this Northwest boomtown into an outdoorsy capital of cool. As the largest metropolitan area in Western Canada, is a bustling urban center and widely considered to be Canada’s culinary and cultural capital. With four-star seafood restaurants, a lively Asian dining scene, and farm-to-table establishments, your Vancouver trip will give you the chance to sample the world of delicious eating options.  Downtown is  full of Asian restaurants, big-name shops, and shimmering skyscrapers. Gastown is the city’s oldest neighborhood, and it’s home to grand historic buildings and fashion boutiques.  The city’s best galleries and design stories, along with great sidewalk cafes, are in South Granville, which borders downtown. And Yaletown, a formerly run-down warehouse district, now has a thriving nightlife scene.  While Vancouver has the mildest climate of any city in Canada, it's best to visit Vancouver in the summer, when the days are long and the weather is beautiful.  Summers here are not muggy and humid. They are crisp and clear, with temperatures typically hovering in the high 70s to low 80s, making it a magical time of year to visit the city.”

Sounds super wonderful!!  Can't wait.   So glad we will have three days in Vancouver before boarding the Silver Muse.  Here are some more of their profile highlights: "Originally built around sawmill in 1867, Vancouver's first iteration was called 'Gastown.' Though comparatively much younger than North America's other major cities, it's the fourth most-densely populated after New York City, San Francisco, and Mexico City."

Added tips, insights, suggestions, etc., for a first-time visitor to Vancouver?

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/vancouver

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,249 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Edited by TLCOhio

I am a mid life newbie to cruising having just done my first cruise a month ago to the Western Caribbean and loved everything about it other than the large ship experience with thousands of people on it. A couple of weeks ago I just booked our second cruise and will be sailing for the first time with Silversea on the Muse to Alaska next May 28th - June 4th.  I'm aslo thinking of adding a post cruise excursion to Denali National Park.   

This thread has been a real pleasure to read. I appreciate the pictures, the stories and the advice from many on here. The only problem I have with reading all this is that it will only make the wait that much more difficult before our next cruise. Thanks all!

16 hours ago, lastchamp64 said:

I am a mid life newbie to cruising having just done my first cruise a month ago to the Western Caribbean. A couple of weeks ago I just booked our second cruise and will be sailing for the first time with Silversea on the Muse to Alaska next May 28th - June 4th.  I'm aslo thinking of adding a post cruise excursion to Denali National Park.   This thread has been a real pleasure to read. I appreciate the pictures, the stories and the advice from many on here. The only problem I have with reading all this is that it will only make the wait that much more difficult before our next cruise. Thanks all!

Great to see this follow-up from our nearby "neighbor" in NE Ohio.  And, a Browns fan, too!!  Double "good news"!!  Glad you are booked for next year on the Silver Muse.  Yes, consider seriously the post-cruise Denali excursion.  It's not cheap, but it makes things easier and smother when doing this trip through the cruise line.  I will do a live/blog with complete details as to how our experiences work.  Feel free to ask any questions later this month. 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 83,988 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Lastchamp64, as a fellow NE Ohioan and ardent Browns fan, a bit beyond mid life but very long time Silversea cruiser, I would be happy to help with any questions.  We have sailed on the Muse and to Alaska, but not at the same time.  Agree with TLCOhio that the Denali excursion should be very worthwhile. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:47 PM, Wellseasoned said:

Lastchamp64, as a fellow NE Ohioan and ardent Browns fan, a bit beyond mid life but very long time Silversea cruiser, I would be happy to help with any questions.  We have sailed on the Muse and to Alaska, but not at the same time.  Agree with TLCOhio that the Denali excursion should be very worthwhile. 

Great to know that Wellseasoned has such wonderful Ohio and Browns connections.  Either did not know (or forgot) about that excellent heritage and judgement.  And the Major League Baseball All-Star game was just in Cleveland and got high marks for its hosting.  

Only five more days till we depart for Calgary and start our travels in western Canada leading up to when we board the Silver Muse on July 25.  Let me know any questions needing research while doing these travels and sailing on this ship.  PLUS, look forward to any and all added suggestions and tips for those doing these scenic areas for the first time.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 48,178 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

On 7/8/2019 at 4:34 PM, lastchamp64 said:

I am a mid life newbie to cruising having just done my first cruise a month ago to the Western Caribbean and loved everything about it other than the large ship experience with thousands of people on it. A couple of weeks ago I just booked our second cruise and will be sailing for the first time with Silversea on the Muse to Alaska next May 28th - June 4th.  I'm aslo thinking of adding a post cruise excursion to Denali National Park.   

This thread has been a real pleasure to read. I appreciate the pictures, the stories and the advice from many on here. The only problem I have with reading all this is that it will only make the wait that much more difficult before our next cruise. Thanks all!

After traveling around the world, we are finally booked our FIRST cruise EVER to Alaska on May 28th as well. I came across this forum and now I can't wait for another 10 months to be on the Muse and to Alaska. We don't plan to do the post-excursion in Denali because we plan to be in Vancouver for 5 days pre-cruise. Maybe Terry in Ohio might change our minds.... will see 🙂

Thanks Daveywavey70 for the great live post!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Belif said:

After traveling around the world, we are finally booked our FIRST cruise EVER to Alaska on May 28th as well. I came across this forum and now I can't wait for another 10 months to be on the Muse and to Alaska. We don't plan to do the post-excursion in Denali because we plan to be in Vancouver for 5 days pre-cruise. Maybe Terry in Ohio might change our minds.... will see 🙂

WOW...your first cruise ever?:classic_biggrin:.....hope you LOVE IT as much as the rest of us! 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, Belif said:

A warm welcome to these Cruise Critic boards for Belif from Palm Beach.   We are now in Jasper National Park after being at Banff and Calgary.  On our way to Vancouver via the Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure.  My personal view is to do BOTH great things BEFORE and AFTER a cruise, if time and budget allow.  

We will have three days in Vancouver before boarding the Silver Muse.  Will share any and all info about the Denali excursion during my live/blog that will start around July 26.  Aug. 1-5 will be our timing for that travel segment through Silversea.   Won't try to "change your mind".  Just seeking to share honest info as to what works (or not) for us.  Don't be shy with any and all follow-up questions as we travel and complete this first-time exploring of western Canada and Alaska. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,515 views.

Had a wonderful day exploring Stanley Park on our Vancouver trip 4 years ago.  Great dinner at Teahouse Cafe. Recommended.

Looking forward to our pre-cruise Denali visit before Joining the Silver Muse 14 August in Seward en route to Vancouver.

Edited by philw1776

On 7/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, TLCOhio said:

Great to know that Wellseasoned has such wonderful Ohio and Browns connections.  Either did not know (or forgot) about that excellent heritage and judgement.  And the Major League Baseball All-Star game was just in Cleveland and got high marks for its hosting.  

Only five more days till we depart for Calgary and start our travels in western Canada leading up to when we board the Silver Muse on July 25.  Let me know any questions needing research while doing these travels and sailing on this ship.  PLUS, look forward to any and all added suggestions and tips for those doing these scenic areas for the first time.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 48,178 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

On 7/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, TLCOhio said:

A warm welcome to these Cruise Critic boards for Belif from Palm Beach.   We are now in Jasper National Park after being at Banff and Calgary.  On our way to Vancouver via the Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure.  My personal view is to do BOTH great things BEFORE and AFTER a cruise, if time and budget allow.  

We will have three days in Vancouver before boarding the Silver Muse.  Will share any and all info about the Denali excursion during my live/blog that will start around July 26.  Aug. 1-5 will be our timing for that travel segment through Silversea.   Won't try to "change your mind".  Just seeking to share honest info as to what works (or not) for us.  Don't be shy with any and all follow-up questions as we travel and complete this first-time exploring of western Canada and Alaska. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,515 views.

I can't wait to read about your time on land and your cruise of Alaska. Next year can't get here soon enough. Have a great time!

Edited by lastchamp64
Didn't post a reply

TLC:

Lots of things to do in Vancouver:

Granville Market (on Granville Island)

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Stanley Park

shopping on Robson

Lots of delicious seafood

There's also a Vancouver to Victoria (V2V) day cruise that goes from downtown to downtown if you won't be going there as part of the Muse cruise.  Other options include taking a ferry up to the Sunshine Coast (where I live) for a day.    (You'll be passing where I live at around 7 pm on the day your cruise leaves Vancouver - look to your right.  I'll try to remember to snap a picture for you.)

Weather forecast calls for nice weather (down here anyway - can't speak to the rest of your itinerary).

Enjoy your travels.

16 hours ago, MLeh said:

TLC:  Lots of things to do in Vancouver:

Granville Market (on Granville Island)

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Stanley Park

shopping on Robson

Lots of delicious seafood

There's also a Vancouver to Victoria (V2V) day cruise that goes from downtown to downtown if you won't be going there as part of the Muse cruise.  Other options include taking a ferry up to the Sunshine Coast (where I live) for a day.    (You'll be passing where I live at around 7 pm on the day your cruise leaves Vancouver - look to your right.  I'll try to remember to snap a picture for you.)

Weather forecast calls for nice weather (down here anyway - can't speak to the rest of your itinerary).   Enjoy your travels.

YES, appreciate your excellent suggestions.  Great seafood sounds exciting.  We are super enjoying the Canada sights, people, weather, etc., etc., after exploring Banff and Jasper National Parks, plus two days on the Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure.  

In Vancouver now and glad we are having three days in this very cosmopolitan city.  Enjoyed dinner last night in the Yaletown area.  Later this am we will be meeting Frances, who traveled with us in Southeast Asia.  We will be going to Granville Island, etc.  Tomorrow, we are meeting Lauren and Clayton for a locals tour around Vancouver, getting the inside "details", then going to Stanley Park, etc., etc.  Yes, hope you cancapture a picture on Thursday as our Silver Muse departs at 5 pm, sails under your famed bridge and heads north to Alaska. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 223,354 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

On 7/23/2019 at 10:30 AM, TLCOhio said:

Yes, hope you cancapture a picture on Thursday as our Silver Muse departs at 5 pm, sails under your famed bridge and heads north to Alaska. 

Looking forward to all your great posts from the Muse, Terry! Have a wonderful cruise and Denali trip.

18 hours ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Looking forward to all your great posts from the Muse, Terry! Have a wonderful cruise and Denali trip.

Appreciate your kind wishes and nice follow-up. Yes, getting ready to depart our hotel at noon in Vancouver and board the Silver Muse early afternoon.  Within the next couple of days, will be starting my live/blog.  Have your excellent book along for reference as we are sailing these scenic waters.  Very helpful!!  Already have tons of exciting visuals to share.  Below are just three picture examples.  In doing an Alaska cruise, it is wise and important to research, plan and consider carefully your pre- and post-cruise land, rail, etc., options.  The cruise is important, but the other potentials can be excellent, also!!

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 84,386 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From riding the Rocky Mountaineer rail for two full days with super first-class food, sights and experiences through the Rocky Mountains, here are just three samples.  The third picture is of Mount Robson, Canada's tallest peak in the Rockies.  It is 9,760 feet to its summit.  We had great weather on this rail trip.  As an example, this mountain can only be seen clearly total about twelve days a year.  Fortunately, we hit one of those magic visibility days!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

116795991_WesternCanada1653.jpg.1acfb77df8bf7216a3cb60a7e0932540.jpg

1321793072_WesternCanada1651.thumb.jpg.47db9f491ac60c7f8ffc3d1c8a92dfbf.jpg

1651758330_WesternCanada1650.jpg.d83450b11103fcaf83d7311ff670c539.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

The Silver Muse seems to be sticking closer to the Vancouver Island side of the strait tonight.  I could only get a far-away picture.

Glad you enjoyed your Rocky Mountaineer experience.   Getting the full view of Robson is breathtaking, isn't it?

Fair winds and following seas for your upcoming adventure.

IMG_1289.JPG