Yet another corkage fee question

ropomo

I have read in other threads that the $25 corkage fee applies to each "container" regardless of size brought into a public venue and that any remaining contents will be stored for you upon your return.  Many of you may not agree, but that is not the point of this question, but there are many very good 3 Liter box wines available that meet our tastes.  Does anyone have any experience or observations of anyone else bringing a box of wine to the GDR paying the $25 corkage, etc.?  We will be traveling with my two sisters and spouses and this seems to present a simple solution for 6 people and minimizes the corkage fee.

We were on Marina just over a year ago and took a 3 lt box of wine on board at the embarkation port (Montreal) after first asking head office if it was okay to have it in the MDR for a one off $25 fee.  No problem. Took the box to the MDR, saw one of the managers, showed him the email from head office and that was that. Every time we went to the MDR told our server we had a box and he would return with a decanter filled with the wine - not the box. Got one or two looks from fellow diners and once heard me being referred to as the "box man" but otherwise no issues whatsoever. Whether that is still their policy I couldn't say. Hope that helps 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pet said:

... and he would return with a decanter filled with the wine - not the box. Got one or two looks from fellow diners and once heard me being referred to as the "box man" ...

@Pet You could get polo shirts for the group with a "decanter man" embroidered logo 🙂

@ropomo, you have unlocked the secret of the current wine market - drink what *you* like.  We don't all have the same preferences, so who cares as long as you enjoy (well, enjoy responsibly, right?)!

That said, unless we go to live-aboard status as an alternative to assisted living, I don't see my spouse choosing to seek out a lot of boxed wine anytime soon.  But there are some iconoclast winemakers experimenting with boxes and/or cans these days, it's always fun to try.

This is priceless.  For several of the derogatory posters above, why in the world do you care one way or the other what someone else is drinking, or if their palate is to be called into question?  Do you need to judge  in matters that have absolutely no bearing on your life whatsoever to validate your decisions?  If, as in the third post in this thread, the beverage is served in a carafe, thereby respecting the ambience of the venue (the original intent of my question, and no I would not take a box into the restaurants mentioned above, nor would I eat at some of the ones mentioned, I would probably buy a reasonably priced bottle from their selection as a one night event as opposed to a 21 day cruise where I would not choose to do so every night), why should you care?  Personally, if the person at the next table prefers grape Kool-Aid with their foie gras, who am I to judge or "question their palate"?  Are you the palate police?  We are all different and not expected to conform to your personal standards as long as we do not disrupt others around us.  Have a good evening.

• Like 7

Great info about how Oceania handles a box wine-with dignity-by presenting the wine in a carafe. Their goal seems to be to make every diner feel comfortable. Hopefully, fellow passengers will follow their lead.

I like to buy a moderately priced wine in port if we are in a wine producing area and bring it to the dining room. Very cost effective and fun. 

Mary

• Like 2

Hi Folks - As I've mentioned before, my first Oceania cruise is still months off but I'm really grateful for all the good info I'm picking up on these boards.  We've already convinced a second couple to come with us and are presently working/cajoling on couple/s #3 & #4 to join us, as well.

At the risk of "reviving the poor old horse, just so I can beat him back to death once again".....  Our group of 4 will have have already pre-purchased the Prestige Beverage Packages in advance of the cruise.  So at dinner (for the 4 of us) we can all order multiple individual glasses of wine without incurring any additional cost/gratuity.  But if we want the waiter to simply bring us the full bottle (of wine) and leave it on the table for us to serve ourselves throughout the meal....we have to "pay extra" (plus gratuity) for that full bottle to be left with us, vice still drinking that whole bottle's worth of wine, but having it served to us - one glass at a time?  Do I have that right?  If the answer is indeed, "Yes",  then that is nonsensical from an economic standpoint and creates extra workload (on the waiter's part), and wastes time, while waiting for the waiter's attention (plus repeatedly swiping the same cards over and over again without Oceania actually collecting any extra money from the endeavor).

Between the 4 of us, Oceania will have already collected a substantial amount of money in liquor charges from our group (4 X $959.20 each in Bev Pkg costs = $3,837 in extra revenue). So does Oceania really need to ration us to one glass of wine served at a time, and/or collect "additional money" for full bottles that they'd be serving to us anyway (and have already been paid for in advance)?  If someone says, "well how will the restaurant know that all 4 of you at that table have purchased Prestige Beverage Packages", then my answer would be, "why couldn't the restaurant just collect and scan all 4 cards when we are first seated for dinner", and should therefore also "know" that all liquor served (like bottles of "non-premium" wines/liquor) brought to our table that evening should not have an additional charge/gratuity applied?  In this hi-tech age, I'm sure a premium cruise line (like O) could easily add a function like that to their onboard dining/accounting system.  Any thoughts?  Is my suggestion just too outrageous or simply "unworkable" for some reason/s that I haven't accounted for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

I have never understood why it can't be served by the bottle when you buy  the package.  J

One  answer is that Oceania would wind up with a slew of half finished bottles after each cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Between the 4 of us, Oceania will have already collected a substantial amount of money in liquor charges from our group (4 X $959.20 each in Bev Pkg costs = $3,837 in extra revenue). So does Oceania really need to ration us to one glass of wine served at a time, and/or collect "additional money" for full bottles that they'd be serving to us anyway (and have already been paid for in advance)?  If someone says, "well how will the restaurant know that all 4 of you at that table have purchased Prestige Beverage Packages", then my answer would be, "why couldn't the restaurant just collect and scan all 4 cards when we are first seated for dinner", and should therefore also "know" that all liquor served (like bottles of "non-premium" wines/liquor) brought to our table that evening should not have an additional charge/gratuity applied?  In this hi-tech age, I'm sure a premium cruise line (like O) could easily add a function like that to their onboard dining/accounting system.  Any thoughts?  Is my suggestion just too outrageous or simply "unworkable" for some reason/s that I haven't accounted for?

If you are all drinking the same wine by the glass  they may keep the bottle close by your table  but you will not be allowed to pour your own

Maybe if you let them know you all have the drink package & will be drinking the same wine  they may make an exception  & leave it on the table

I have not seen them collect the cards after each drink usually at the end of the meal or if in the bar  you ask for  the bill (like on land)

Their line their rules 😉

Thanks Stan and Jim.  Hadn't thought of that. We have never actually had a package.  It is certainly frowned upon if you try to pour your own wine in a restaurant on a ship or on land.     J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

"... It is certainly frowned upon if you try to pour your own wine in a restaurant on a ship or on land.     J"

Hi Jay - Remember, many of us here in the U.S. are just the "uncouth county bumpkins", but I can assure you that we've eaten at many very fine restaurants in Scottsdale, San Diego, Washington, DC, and San Francisco over the past 30 years...and have never gotten "the frown" from anyone - if we chose to recharge a table mate's glass with a bottle of wine that was sitting on or next to our table.

The "last generation", or perhaps two generations ago.... well, maybe.  But I think today, that custom of "waiting for the waiter to do it" might be a bit faux pretentious and has outlived it's usefulness - if there ever actually was one.  In many restaurants today, if you waited for the waiter to come over and pour, you could easily die of thirst!  By the way, I also put (and prefer to put) my own napkin in my own lap (Oh! The Horror!  Yikes!).  Best Regards.  😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Jay - Remember, many of us here in the U.S. are just the "uncouth county bumpkins", but I can assure you that we've eaten at many very fine restaurants in Scottsdale, San Diego, Washington, DC, and San Francisco over the past 30 years...and have never gotten "the frown" from anyone - if we chose to recharge a table mate's glass with a bottle of wine that was sitting on or next to our table.

The "last generation", or perhaps two generations ago.... well, maybe.  But I think today, that custom of "waiting for the waiter to do it" might be a bit faux pretentious and has outlived it's usefulness - if there ever actually was one.  In many restaurants today, if you waited for the waiter to come over and pour, you could easily die of thirst!  By the way, I also put (and prefer to put) my own napkin in my own lap (Oh! The Horror!  Yikes!).  Best Regards.  😊

I've also found that if the server pours s/he may pour more than I would have.  Hoping we'll order another bottle?

In the USA many strict new laws are enforced. If an entity serves someone who is drunk or becomes so and anything happens, that entity is legally at fault. Leave a bottle at a table for self pours is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Smart establishments will serve you and decide when to stop serving you . Self service is something you do at home! Want to self serve, go to cabin and order room service.

One’s napkin goes on their lap and if you want to self serve in the buffet line, you’re on the wrong cruise line. That’s another no-no some cruisers want to complain about.

Fairly simply actually. Oh the horrors of it!

Edited by pinotlover

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

In the USA many strict new laws are enforced. If an entity serves someone who is drunk or becomes so and anything happens, that entity is legally at fault. Leave a bottle at a table for self pours is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Smart establishments will serve you and decide when to stop serving you . 

Depends on the State...or local government.

Edited by 1985rz1

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

In the USA many strict new laws are enforced. If an entity serves someone who is drunk or becomes so and anything happens, that entity is legally at fault. Leave a bottle at a table for self pours is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Smart establishments will serve you and decide when to stop serving you . Self service is something you do at home! Want to self serve, go to cabin and order room service.

One’s napkin goes on their lap and if you want to self serve in the buffet line, you’re on the wrong cruise line. That’s another no-no some cruisers want to complain about.

Fairly simply actually. Oh the horrors of it!

I've eaten at a gazillion restaurants pretty much all over the world and definitely the majority will leave the bottle on the table.   That doesn't mean they're going to keep selling me more and more bottles.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I've also found that if the server pours s/he may pour more than I would have.  Hoping we'll order another bottle?

Clo - I agree with you completely.  In the case of U.S. restaurants (at least), where tips are closely tied to the final cost of the total bill,  the more booze that's ordered/served (and booze always comes with a high/outrageous mark-up price) also upwardly propels the resultant/expected tip.  The sooner that first bottle of wine is finished, the sooner the second one can be ordered and added to the bill.  I know, we're getting dangerously close to launching yet another "hot button" topic - tipping.....or in the case of Oceania, 18% gratuities added to the price of each full bottle of wine ordered.

Pinot, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to serve myself at a buffet table and I applaud Oceania's policy of serving all the patrons in line (rather than letting them serve themselves).  I wish every place did that.  [By the way, I "caught" what you were implying.]  But that has virtually nothing to do with me pouring myself another glass of wine from a bottle that has been placed on my table in front of me on Riviera (or any other place, for that matter).

LHT said "....Maybe if you let them know you all have the drink package & will be drinking the same wine, they may make an exception & leave it on the table. I have not seen them collect the cards after each drink (it's) usually at the end of the meal or if in the bar, you ask for the bill..."

LHT - That's very good info.  Thanks for that!  I'm still learning about the "Oceania way" of doing things.  All my past cruises have been on Regent and the subject/issue of paying separately/individually for liquor rarely comes up.  So that's why I'm asking these questions beforehand.  I Certainly wouldn't want to commit a major faux pas on my first Oceania cruise!  😧 

Best Regards to all.

Pingpong1;

I can tell you that many restaurants have now gone to a three drink limit for patrons. That 3 ounces of hard liquor, 3 five Oz glasses of wine, or 3 twelve ounce beers, or some combination thereof. This may be from local government codes or the establishment’s liability insurance policy,

A 750 ml bottle of wine = 26 ounces or 5 five ounce pours. A table of two has no problem being served 1 bottle, a table of four 2 bottles. 

Wait staff are trained to talk with the patrons when they are seated before allowing them to order. Slurred speech, blood shot eyes may not score you that bottle of wine or anything else. A patron will often be asked if they’ve already been drinking. As noted above enforcement varies based on location. Let me tell you however, in many areas the screws are being ever the more tightened. Let me alsotell you, if a patron walks out of an establishment and has an accident and records show he has been served 5 drinks, as measured above, the insurance company will walk away and a server can go to jail. The owner gets the poor house!

Edited by pinotlover

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Pingpong1;

I can tell you that many restaurants have now gone to a three drink limit for patrons. That 3 ounces of hard liquor, 3 five Oz glasses of wine, or 3 twelve ounce beers, or some combination thereof. This may be from local government codes or the establishment’s liability insurance policy,

A 750 ml bottle of wine = 26 ounces or 5 five ounce pours. A table of two has no problem being served 1 bottle, a table of four 2 bottles. 

Wait staff are trained to talk with the patrons when they are seated before allowing them to order. Slurred speech, blood shot eyes may not score you that bottle of wine or anything else. A patron will often be asked if they’ve already been drinking. As noted above enforcement varies based on location. Let me tell you however, in many areas the screws are being ever the more tightened. Let me alsotell you, if a patron walks out of an establishment and has an accident and records show he has been served 5 drinks, as measured above, the insurance company will walk away and a server can go to jail. The owner gets the poor house!

I sincerely thank you for doing that math.  I think lots of people don't know that.  It also shows that a party of two can quite sensibly drink a bottle of wine at dinner.  And sometimes not.  And that, yes, it's the 'establishment's' responsibility ultimately.

I will shut up now, Folks.  I have enjoyed this exchange and learned a lot about wine etiquette.  Thank you all.

I will now await the introduction of restricted drinking in restaurants in the UK.    J  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PINGPONG

Just to add Oceania is NOT  Regent   they do things  differently

I suspect on Regent you can order  as many bottles of wine  that you want  at dinner

With Oceania  they serve "wine by the glass" for the beverage packages   so  they may or may not lea  ve a bottle near you if you are all drinking the same wine

When  we buy a bottle  they sometimes will leave it on the table   but if you try to serve yourself   a waiter will be there  in a flash to do it ...

Just go with the flow 

It has been 2 years since our last Oceania cruise. At that time we brought a case of 12 bottles of wine on board to be used at our meals. It was a great experience because the sommeliers really enjoyed tasting the wine for us and giving us their thoughts.

I know the official rules say 3 bottle limit per cabin but will Oceania still turn a blind eye to my bringing a case on board?

Thanks. We appreciate your advice and experiences.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, pingpong1 said:

I think the main reason this is done is for standardization and sanitation. If you buy a bottle at a land based restaurant it is assumed you will drink (or pay for the whole thing). On a cruise with a drink package, if your group requests 2 bottles of a certain type they can readily change their mind for the next course. Once the bottle hits your table it can't be re-served to someone else and they don't want to tell you no. Kind of like when a bread basket hits your table.....it's not going back to be re-gifted to another customer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdpa said:

I think the main reason this is done is for standardization and sanitation. If you buy a bottle at a land based restaurant it is assumed you will drink (or pay for the whole thing). On a cruise with a drink package, if your group requests 2 bottles of a certain type they can readily change their mind for the next course. Once the bottle hits your table it can't be re-served to someone else and they don't want to tell you no. Kind of like when a bread basket hits your table.....it's not going back to be re-gifted to another customer.

MDPA - All of your points are well taken and make sense.  Thanks for the response and fresh perspective.  Best Regards.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, ropomo said:

This is priceless.  For several of the derogatory posters above, why in the world do you care one way or the other what someone else is drinking, or if their palate is to be called into question?  Do you need to judge  in matters that have absolutely no bearing on your life whatsoever to validate your decisions?  If, as in the third post in this thread, the beverage is served in a carafe, thereby respecting the ambience of the venue (the original intent of my question, and no I would not take a box into the restaurants mentioned above, nor would I eat at some of the ones mentioned, I would probably buy a reasonably priced bottle from their selection as a one night event as opposed to a 21 day cruise where I would not choose to do so every night), why should you care?  Personally, if the person at the next table prefers grape Kool-Aid with their foie gras, who am I to judge or "question their palate"?  Are you the palate police?  We are all different and not expected to conform to your personal standards as long as we do not disrupt others around us.  Have a good evening.

Why would anyone care what others are drinking? For the same reasons they seem to care what others are wearing. Control issues, I assume!!!!

• Like 1