“Live From:” Z and TB’s Magical Mystery Tour of the British Isles

Zqueeze1

Good Morning:

I just had my best night’s sleep since leaving home. Goodbye jet lag and hello circadian rhythm. 

Yesterday was a wonderful sea day highlighted by meeting new folks and making new friends. We had lunch with a great couple from Vancouver we had met as we waited to check in on Tuesday. The geographic bachelor (see below) had drinks and swapped war stories with a retired US Army couple during the daily 1400 wine and alcohol tasting extravaganza. Finally, we had pre-dinner drinks with a couple we met in Cruise Critic and had a lovely time. 

We also attended a great lecture on the history of English royalty presented by Terry Bishop. 

5A0BAFBF-B4B2-4CCA-9849-1FA6CF2AB775.thumb.jpeg.20be51e37fbb0c5d292d186c1589e0c2.jpeg

Dinner was very good and featured lobster and filet mignon. 

BBEE8371-F956-4E46-913A-619627BCA553.thumb.jpeg.5e0557804afb7f282b7ef5da0957e074.jpeg

We sat in Kurty’s section and she has us laughing throughout dinner.  Compass Rose continues to maintain a very comfortable temperature unlike previous cruises when it would be sweltering. 

Yesterday’s big surprises were:

-We Stayed up late enough to attend the evening’s show. 

-The guest singer was a no show so Ray Solaire stepped in and gave us one of the best shows I’ve seen at sea. He is a born performer and extremely talented. Kudos to Ray. 

We are in Newcastle today we’ll known for its history and production of Newcastle Brown Ale. We plan to go on a tour of Hadrian’s Wall and a castle. 

Unsolicited Observation:  There several types of passengers onboard:

The Friendlies-always say hello and will strike up a conversation with the slightest encouragement. Recognized by their light sense of humor. 

The Privileged- who expect their plates to be carried by a crew member and recognized by their signature call “why can’t I be first?.”  Will look at you down their nose. 

The Kooks-don’t know what to say here since they may be reading this thread.  But there’s at least one onboard who sort of scared me. 

The Country Genteels-classy folks with a little culture thrown in, well dressed and always nice to converse with.  Most tolerant of me. 

Then there’s my category:

The Geographic Bachelors-known for their solitary lifestyles although most wear wedding rings as a symbol to others that they have invisible mates. Usually spotted eating breakfast alone, at the pool bar, or just hanging out with fellow solitaires.  Sometimes seen staring at their iPads or with a drink in their hands. Their spouses are usually hibernating, marathon power walking,  or getting spruced up. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

IRT live threads, it is an opportunity to share your love for travel with fellow cruisers and only requires your ability to write. Don’t worry about being interesting or entertaining: your words and descriptions will do the job. Let’s see more live threads! 

One tip: please proofread what you type. I’ve made the mistake more than once not to proofread and have been embarrassed by what I’ve posted. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

@Zqueeze1  thank you for the entertaining read - I think it's the first time I've read a live report of a UK cruise and I'm enjoying your take on familiar places.   I know you'll want to fit in with the locals in Newcastle (?today?) so pronounce it as Newcastle rather than Newcastle (if you get my drift) and you'll be right in there....  Having said that, the Geordie accent is pretty individual and you might have to listen hard!!

We have sunshine here for the first time in weeks and I can only hope you have the same...but then you sound like the kind of couple who take the sunshine with you wherever you go 😎

• Like 2

Some of the changes to the newly spruced up Nav:

-New carpeting in the common areas. Previous threads criticized its design to death.  It blends well with everything. 

58D29AA5-B159-4BEC-8E75-1A2FE9B125D3.thumb.jpeg.8c291daea049da3a3aa71512c23324fa.jpeg

-New mirrors and shelf in bedroom as well as new shelves in closet 

D39891E0-8092-425A-A468-D051923FD65F.thumb.jpeg.89f352ccce88f87ba2cbb76fd25bb0ef.jpeg

71F760DB-51E9-40DC-9A39-AF0AFD197E4D.thumb.jpeg.5bbd16a3ca0d548d1e4e07bed9544087.jpeg

-New seating in the Nav Lounge. Nice and comfy and not as cumbersome as the ones it replaced. 

7D3A2DB3-2A98-431C-8086-CE052D983B9F.thumb.jpeg.70b37fc178b19b59f8c4c9bf78bd2aef.jpeg

-The Stars Lounge was totally redone.

3CEFAC57-51FE-4170-B0DF-22BE50D22118.thumb.jpeg.a030f8e69afafbc410159a5de6e1ec15.jpeg

-There should be a monitor attached to this wire on the elevator 

99951A91-9C35-48D9-8C5F-D4A5E62685D5.thumb.jpeg.85fdaa0df46bad4d5bff88aee74f38b4.jpeg

-A quick shot of a table in Compass Rose 

35E1D1EC-5CC8-4EB2-98BE-9B49F41F3906.thumb.jpeg.adccc62cde56acbbc6c2a1a28204cb8e.jpeg

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If more posters indicated that they would like more live updates, there would be more.  While we will be posting live from our Crystal cruise in September, I wasn't sure what I would have to post on our Explorer transatlantic cruise in November.  Your post gave me a reason to post live.

PLEASE do!   Hearing what is going on on board, how the food is, hearing about old friends on the crew - just makes my day!!

Here is a pic of Ray, the CD. He is a master entertainer and ventriloquist:

42D1A832-70B1-42A5-8005-53B924EFD028.thumb.jpeg.d6005f2d9ddfa8df6e9f7c067a8d7f6b.jpeg

A better pic of last night’s Maine lobster:

3D71068B-1A40-49DF-BD3A-3FAC91798674.thumb.jpeg.4d25b2ac461e0fb6e619ab3aa4d005a7.jpeg

and Daniel, a bartender from Romania and a nice kid. He was working the Nav bar last night and made me my after dinner drink, Kahlua, Baileys, and amaretto.

28402958-66A3-40AE-BED8-2934DFA60BEF.thumb.jpeg.5ed97e7b4b918760fbd8e982a9c7576f.jpeg

One thing I have not mentioned yet is internet connectivity. I usually put my morning report together early morning around 0600 from the Coffee Connection. However, loading the accompanying pics can take up to an hour and is extremely frustrating.  This one took about twenty minutes to load pics.

By the way the weather is perfect!

Z and TB

Now I have to say it sounds like your having a great time, and all looks good.  Enjoying the photos and your food shots.  The ship looks great, we're booked on it later.  One thing you said you attended,  "daily 1400 wine and alcohol tasting extravaganza'.  Don't ever recall seeing this event in a Regent schedule🤣!  But why not!

Z has never missed the 1400 hrs wine and alcohol tasting, whether he is on the ship or not.

🍤🍤   By the way Bubba, regarding your lobster photo, where I come from we call em shrimp. 🍤🍤

Enjoy your day. Newcastle Brown is a fine beverage, try some. Have you heard Guinness"s new motto ?  " GUINNESS -  MORE THAN JUST A BREAKFAST BEER. "

K

Yep - that is the carpeting that I posted from the Voyager.  Looks like they will stay with it for a while.  It doesn't show dirt because it already looks like there is dirt on it (JK😇). 

Love your description of fellow passengers - sounds about right.

I see that the barstools are a good height but the chairs in Stars Lounge are still low - perhaps that is simply the look that Regent wants.

As always, enjoying your blog ....... just wish that we could go on a tapas crawl with you again - it was really fun!

• Like 1

Zqeeze1:  

Please pass on our best regards to Ray Solaire.   We have cruised with him several times, most-recently aboard Navigator, June, 2018 for a Panama Canal crossing (L.A. to NYC).  We had the opportunity to have dinner with him.   He told "real" stories of his family--and how he wound up in the cruise line business that had me, literally, falling out of my chair in laughter.  I encouraged him to use this stuff, true or not, in a stage routine, or to segue' between songs.  

We are Jim and Sue--from Redmond, WA.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

58D29AA5-B159-4BEC-8E75-1A2FE9B125D3.thumb.jpeg.8c291daea049da3a3aa71512c23324fa.jpeg  

😧😵😨😲

Are you not concerned about giving your readers nightmares????

A couple of questions-  can I assume that the hideous blue lighting in Compass Rose has been relegated to the realm of bad memories?

Are there any drawers in your suite other than in the closet? On my last trip on Voyager there were none.

Loving your report, thanks, and continue to enjoy every moment!

Bob

Edited by boblerm

All:  Respectfully suggest contributions to this Thread get "off the carpet" and direct feedback to TS on more-appropriate matters.  

It that vein:  Zqeeze1--

Review of your current itinerary indicates an almost-direct template of the second segment of an "Explorer" btb spouse and I eagerly anticipate will unfold in about 66 days.  At that time, we will be at Stockholm. 

Moving forward.  That first Explorer segment will take us from Stockholm to Southampton.  So, I will follow your comments as to current ports-of-call around UK-- back to Southampton.  

Best, and hope you have the opportunity to convey our sincere regards to Ray Solaire, as detailed in an earlier posting. 

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

Z, i call that  carpet the “dog puke” carpet, because that is exactly what it looks like.  Perfect to place in your home if you have a bulemic dog, or a cat with a hair ball problem.

But unlike at home, can you imagine the red wine spills they deal with😳

5 hours ago, RachelG said:

Z, i call that  carpet the “dog puke” carpet, because that is exactly what it looks like.  Perfect to place in your home if you have a bulemic dog, or a cat with a hair ball problem.

I call it “loaded diaper”.

• Haha 1

Good Morning:

Yesterday was another spectacularly beautiful day. The weather so far is so much better than our last cruise from Montreal to Miami when it rained every day except in Boston. We started the day with another great breakfast and a 0900 tour of Hadrian’s Wall, which was basically, a wall. 

I mean the damn thing was only about two feet tall and could have been assaulted by a company of GI Joes. 

The reality was that the wall had been scavenged by farmers throughout the years so little remains of it.  We also visited the archeological digs of a former Roman fort which was very interesting until The Boss saw sheep grazing and I totally lost her.  

Our guide was excellent and an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding the Roman occupation of Britain. 

We returned at 1400 and had a late lunch followed by an delayed session of the 1400 Poolside Society meeting which featured Cabernet wine and more great company. Dinner was excellent and featured rack of lamb (I couldn’t resist after seeing all the sheep grazing today) and ravioli. Great combo. 

We have been listening to the onboard piano player after dinner whose playlist is expansive. He played a series of Spanish songs last night which surprised me and brought back a lot of memories. 

The Boss asked me to mention the fact that she is embarking on a new career path effective the second sea day:  Modeling.  The jewelry designer she met onboard asked her to participate in a fashion show to model jewelry. I have now tied a string on her to keep her from floating too high. 

Today: miracle mile walk in Edinburgh starting at 0800. Time to wake up The Boss. 

Note: I’ve been waiting 20 min trying to  upload pics. I give up and will try to post them from land. 

Z and TBimageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

Edited by Zqueeze1