“Live From:” Z and TB’s Magical Mystery Tour of the British Isles

Zqueeze1

Z, continuing to enjoy your pictures and reports!  Looks like you are having fun.  

If you run into Ray again, please ask him if he's onboard through the entire Arctic Quest itinerary until NY.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Wow! Everything is looking good.  Try the Ribeye on the bone Pittsburgh style, unbelievable in a good way.  I just wish they could make a baked potato to enjoy with the steak.  And maybe a little bigger potato would be nice.  PS😂after that broom comment I think you'll be buying some jewelry sooner than you think.  Thanks again, I am enjoying going along with you guy's, hope to meet someday on a cruise.  Oh, we live a few miles from the Betty Ford Center😎, maybe we can get you a discount after the cruise meet you for dinner. (Ops, called them and NO mini bar😄).

It's fairly easy to get a baked potato - just be sure to request it the day before your P7 reservation.

• Like 1

Z:

Lest one forget:  that was 'Fredo who wanted respect.  Michael could not forget, nor forgive his brother for the double-cross.  Poor 'Fredo ended up in the drink (lake), and not in a nice way.  Last scene, Godfather II. 

One of our simple pleasures on these cruises whether river or ocean is watching the truly classic movies--Godfather I and II , Casablanca, and Citizen Kane--from the onboard collection.    

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

It's fairly easy to get a baked potato - just be sure to request it the day before your P7 reservation.

You sure, the ones I've had or on menu hav been tiny (give you two, bite size) and over cooked. 

😀

Glad to see you are having a great time, mi amigo.

For everyone following this blog, the first time we visited Z at his homestead, he handed out protective head gear just in case TB bumped into you while on her broom ( and if she reads this I may never be invited back  😝 ).

Great news Uncle Z : Eldorado rums have now released a 25 yr. old beauty. And yes , I will bring some next visit.

Your barstool buddy,

K

• Like 1

Re baked potatoes.  When we were onboard, they had beautiful ones each night at the pool grill.  Not too little, not too big, just right.  And they were always hot.  The ones in Compass Rose were usually cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just in case...

I don't know if this applies to a European cruise, but we were on a Caribbean cruise with new  friends several years ago and he bought his wife a beautiful ring onboard.  The cruise included St Thomas, so we advised her to just wear it.  Well, during the wait to disembark, we heard his name being called, summoning him to the Customs Desk; seems the ship reported the purchase to them.  It wasn't that much above the allowed amount, if I remember, but I'm sure he was red-faced.

Good Morning:

Yesterday was another beautiful day with warmer temperatures. 

Our tour departed an hour late and took us to see Loch Ness and Urkuhart Castle. Due to the pier being so narrow, buses could only cross it one at a time creating a delay for most tours. We were on a bus for about seventy five minutes that consisted of spectacular views of the Scottish Highlands. 

590162C3-992E-4973-8E35-7136A515847F.thumb.jpeg.14915d30b3fc4f2545fb679aa905b0a4.jpeg

B827ED5F-45A0-434F-B7EA-29B452A14D14.thumb.jpeg.ce284b5b3220afc542142b764bc86fcc.jpeg

Sadly, we didn’t stop in any of the various distilleries in the area. 

Upon arrival, we watched a film of the castle’s history followed by curtains departing and giving us a breathtaking view of the castle and the lake (zoom in below to get better view). 

522092BF-3439-49A8-BD20-8362BA4F6987.thumb.jpeg.0ae213ac8895ee6ec01e06c9f3362fed.jpeg

As we approached them, the winds picked up and the temperature dropped as if Nessie was warning us not too get too friendly. 

82AA3A22-5A66-4B71-A863-B6805628E609.thumb.jpeg.025943219972f1769b503969c9e87c40.jpeg

E6E05473-9F10-474C-A536-48B7BE5A5AF4.thumb.jpeg.f453541a023bc94b28568cc8a6520bff.jpegimageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

85DBD65C-C99A-4508-AE7D-A7428A02BF04.thumb.jpeg.e14760981e744ed9524ef28738184f46.jpeg

Pam and I foolishly dipped our feet (toe) into the lake and it was frigid. The return trip took us through several quaint villages and towns sprinkled with more highland charm. 

We returned at 1430 and were famished. I split a burger with The Boss who proceeded to strap on the feedbag and followed up the burger with a hot dog, fries, and two piña coladas.  I really like their burgers and usually are cooked to taste. There is so much variety for lunch that one can’t possibly go hungry or be unsatisfied. 

Dinner last night included great company with a couple from Vancouver. We had such a great time that we were one of the last folks departing the restaurant.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of our main course, which was a buttery soft prime rib.  I could go for some more now. This is the crab salad app:

6C54CA98-8C3B-4530-92BC-5A1D31D0BBAB.thumb.jpeg.0c440cbaeadfbd4c796f375526602213.jpeg

And won ton app:

4C44B1B1-E101-4221-B3CF-852784FBE367.thumb.jpeg.62c98f9739df1775fd9258c6ad3eb62c.jpegimageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

A word about tours. These are extremely complex logistical activities in which glitches will happen such as yesterday’s delays. I was pleased to see that folks pretty much went with the flow rather than take the low road and whine about it. 

Today is a sea day and I plan to practice my cannonballs in the pool and stand around in various poses for all to enjoy. The Boss is modeling jewelry this afternoon and is excited about it. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

15 hours ago, taxare said:

Z, thank you for doing this thread it is a lot of fun. On a more serious note (sorry!) we will be on the British

Isles cruise in the fall, if you are on or hear about particular excursions that are awesome or terrible, I would appreciate you sharing those as we have time to change our choices. Thanks again, safe and happy cruising!

One thing to consider about the tours for this particular itinerary is that they are very heavy on the amazing history and archeology of this region. If you are history buff, then you are in for a treat. Although I tend to make light of some of the tours, they have been pretty good so far.  The only glitches were minor. My favorites so far (in order) are:

1. Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle. Pluses: views and background info. Minuses: not enough time to explore castle and enjoy lake views (90 minutes). 

2. Hadrian’s Wall. Pluses. The fascinating story behind this marvel of construction. Minuses:  none. 

3. Royal Mile in Edinburgh.  Plus:  history and views. Minuses:  no free time to explore on your own and could not hear the tour guide. 

Keep in mind that most guided  tours are characterized by information overload and the constant speaking by the tour guide. A little quiet time on the bus back from a tour would do wonders for my beauty sleep. 

Sometimes just going into town and meeting the locals is enough and can be just as enjoyable as an info packed guided tour. We will most likely do this tomorrow in Glasgow in order to give me time to get my kilt with the McVazquez clan colors.  Will post more about tours. 

Z and TB

15 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Z, continuing to enjoy your pictures and reports!  Looks like you are having fun.  

If you run into Ray again, please ask him if he's onboard through the entire Arctic Quest itinerary until NY.

Thanks!

I just ran into Ray in the Coffee Connection and he says he will be onboard for the entirety. 

Z and TB

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Baked potatoes are available in P7. However, the problem is that they are rather small. Having said that The Boss says she was satisfied with hers. 

Z and TB

1 hour ago, Sheltieluv said:

Z, while striking your poses around the pool deck, could you please take a moment to see what they're offering for non-alcoholic beer these days?

Thank you!  Enjoying your trip reports immensely!

1 hour ago, Sheltieluv said:

Z, while striking your poses around the pool deck, could you please take a moment to see what they're offering for non-alcoholic beer these days?

Thank you!  Enjoying your trip reports immensely!

Sheltieluv:

Heineken Zero and Buckler are the only non alcoholic beers onboard. 

Z and TB

6 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Baked potatoes are available in P7. However, the problem is that they are rather small. Having said that The Boss says she was satisfied with hers. 

Z and TB

Hmmmm....maybe say you would like an 8-oz size so there is plenty of room to mix in the butter and sour cream

7 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Sometimes just going into town and meeting the locals is enough and can be just as enjoyable as an info packed guided tour. We will most likely do this tomorrow in Glasgow in order to give me time to get my kilt with the McVazquez clan colors.  

Z and TB

About that Kilt, before you buy make sure the length is right. Remember the painting on one of the ships you've talked about before.😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I just ran into Ray in the Coffee Connection and he says he will be onboard for the entirety. 

Z and TB

Thanks so much for this information.  We're looking forward to being on-board with him for the first time, on the Amsterdam-NY segment.

You guys continue to enjoy your experience on the Navigator.

• Like 1

"Z" - A burning question on everyone's mind....Okay, at least mine!  Since you're on the first Navigator cruise after her refurb....Have you noticed any recurrence of the dreaded "brown water" since you've been on board?  Inquiring minds want to know??  Tks. 

6 hours ago, RachelG said:

Identical twins!

Two questions : What are you smoking ? Can I get some ? Z wouldn"t even know how to put those clothes on.🤣

Let"s just say, I have photographic proof to the contrary. But hey, we are all enjoying his report, so I'll leave him be. For now.

K

• Haha 1