Memorable Excursions

Hi, we are planning a Viking ocean cruise to New Zealand and Australia in 2020.  Currently researching ports and excursions and interested in your favorite, memorable experiences.  We plan to arrive in Auckland two days early to see Hobbiton and will stay a few days after the cruise ends in Sydney.  The itinerary includes stops in Rotorua, Christchurch, Dunedin, Tasmania, Melbourne, then Sydney.  We’re an active couple in our 60s, love taking photos, interested in history, architecture, churches, and nature.  Any recommendations?  Thank you!

In Dunedin, I recommend a tour of Larnach castle and a visit must include the historic and beautiful Dunedin station.

There is plenty to see in Christchurch. For something different there is the cardboard cathedral. In Tasmania a tour of Port Arthur penal settlement.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

In Dunedin, I recommend a tour of Larnach castle and a visit must include the historic and beautiful Dunedin station.

There is plenty to see in Christchurch. For something different there is the cardboard cathedral. In Tasmania a tour of Port Arthur penal settlement.

Thank you for the great ideas, we will definitely check these out!  Any thoughts on which of these ports would be best for a wildlife tour?  We’d love to see some animals native to the area.  

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

Thank you for the great ideas, we will definitely check these out!  Any thoughts on which of these ports would be best for a wildlife tour?  We’d love to see some animals native to the area.  

Dunedin has an albatross sanctuary at Taiaroa Head which is worth a visit. Also on the Otago Peninsula is the Penguin Place where you can see yellow-eyed penguins and sometimes seals. Since Larnach Castle is also on the peninsula you should be able to get a tour which covers all three.

A short walk from Ortega is the Speights brewery  It is well worth a private booking which can be done on line  and they also have a good cafe for lunch   If you book privately you will get seniors price which you would not get booking through the cruise line

Probably one of the memorable things we have done in NZ that would work with you.

We had a pub lunch in Auckland, I don’t know if you like pubs?

I t was at the occidental hotel in Vulcan lane.Its the older part of Auckland .

The occidental brews it own beer and makes its own wine.

Two of us had a large bucket (about 400mm high) of NZ mussels cooked in white wine and butter.A piece of fish each and hand cut chips.

I had a jug of house beer and my friend had two glasses of their wine.

FOR $50 NZ

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Dunedin has an albatross sanctuary at Taiaroa Head which is worth a visit. Also on the Otago Peninsula is the Penguin Place where you can see yellow-eyed penguins and sometimes seals. Since Larnach Castle is also on the peninsula you should be able to get a tour which covers all three.

Agree with this 100%. Would recommend Tourworks http://tourworks.co.nz/ We did the Mainland Peninsula Tour with Russ in January - great tour and good guy.

12 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

The itinerary includes stops in Rotorua, Christchurch, Dunedin, Tasmania, Melbourne, then Sydney.  We’re an active couple in our 60s, love taking photos, interested in history, architecture, churches, and nature.  Any recommendations?  Thank you!

My most memorable tour in Dunedin was the tour of Olveston .  Check it out on google .Its an historic home and you can only go through with a guide as it’s been left as if the family were still living there . 

Tasmania, Port Arthur and the Wildlife Park would be High on my list, if your docking in the North of Tasmania (Burnie perhaps) Cradle Mountain is a longish drive, but a great tour.

You might enjoy 'wild life Sydney zoo' which is a small zoo in Sydney CBD which has a lot of native animals. You can hold a koala etc. They used to have a discount pass that includes the aquarium, Sydney tower and madam Tussaud. Sydney tower gives a great view of sydney too.