Princess Wilderness Rail Tour June 15, 2019 (Whittier to Anchorage)

PandaBear62

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

can you pre-book any lodge excursions or do you have to wait and do that after you arrive ?

Just back May 26...yes you can pre-book on line..as well as on the train we picked up reps who were booking tours in each coach the last hour or so of our ride. When they arrived  a high-lited list of what is available for your arrival time is handed out to everyone. We did the 4 night land package and after our cruise found that we just wanted to walk around the lodges areas..we did upgrade to the "Tundra" tour once at the lodge in Denali and did travel to the park by ourselves..but other wise took no additional tours.

Find it interesting that so many people say take the land tour first....and then cruise...to relax We did so many excursions from the ship, we needed the land trip for down time....:classic_rolleyes: enjoy

Edited by land lover
  • Thanks 1

I am doing the land and sea tour in 8 days from Anchorage with 3 other friends.  We are going to McKinley Lodge by Motor Coach then will be going to Whittier from Denali lodge via train.  Do you know if the menu is the same for either way?  We decided to do the land portion first so we didn't have to worry as much about getting to Alaska in time for the cruise.  We are so excited as this is the first time for 3 of us.  Can't wait.

thanks,

Karen 😎 

2 hours ago, cruise crazy64 said:

I am doing the land and sea tour in 8 days from Anchorage with 3 other friends.  We are going to McKinley Lodge by Motor Coach then will be going to Whittier from Denali lodge via train.  Do you know if the menu is the same for either way?  We decided to do the land portion first so we didn't have to worry as much about getting to Alaska in time for the cruise.  We are so excited as this is the first time for 3 of us.  Can't wait.

thanks,

Karen 😎 

I’m guessing the menu is the same. Its not like its personalized with a date. They were collected at the end of the trip so I’m sure the same ones are used.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, PandaBear62 said:

Day 1

Whittier to Mt. McKinley Princess

Beverage menu for our domed train car

i enjoyed the mimosa...it was good snd dh had the hot cocoa with peppermint schnaps.

F77C91F1-F01C-4182-9EB0-7334BD33E70A.jpeg

9AD6C9AE-9D5D-451C-99AE-BC1918205DA6.jpeg

92409DC5-964C-44F1-9CF3-2945324F0567.jpeg

CF394F8C-F6C9-47AE-8672-886A15855437.jpeg

thank you for sharing counting the days to our trip....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

couple of things if you don't mind ...

how hard is the walk up to the treehouse - level path or rocky / uneven ?

when is/was  the above excursions listing made available to you

The excursion list was available at least a few months ahead of time. I don’t remember when. 

There are two paths to the treehouse. One is steeper with steps and one is from the road. There is a shuttle at the lodge that runs every 15 minutes. We took the shuttle to the stop and its a 100 yards or so to the gravel path. Then it’s maybe a few hundred yards on a pretty level gravel path. You can take each path both ways or go one way on each. 

However I think many excursions are available just before. My friend I’m traveling with ended up with a job interview tomorrow via Skype. We changed out 9am Tundra tour to 3pm yesterday.

• Thanks 1

did you do a connoisseur tour where the meals were included?  if you did were you able to go to whichever restaurant you wanted on the property or switch the vouchers for another restaurant.  Our itinerary lists which restaurant we are to eat at and looking at the menus we would prefer going to one of the other...so wasn't sure if you were stuck with what it said or it was more just a voucher with no restaurant name on it. 

On 6/17/2019 at 1:06 PM, cruzrbachoua said:

did you do a connoisseur tour where the meals were included?  if you did were you able to go to whichever restaurant you wanted on the property or switch the vouchers for another restaurant.  Our itinerary lists which restaurant we are to eat at and looking at the menus we would prefer going to one of the other...so wasn't sure if you were stuck with what it said or it was more just a voucher with no restaurant name on it. 

No we were not on the connoisseur tour. Sorry.