Bow tie woes

siforest65

21 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

Eureka!!! Finally worked out what I was doing wrong. Was putting the unfolded end through first. Once I realised that, I started getting something resembling a bow. Once I understood the construction of the bow I could do it. Had a few goes and can consistently get a passable bow which passed the wife’s scrutiny.

Got a few days to practice before we fly to Hamburg on Thursday before boarding on Friday.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

GREAT! Now please share a photo or two when you return. I, for one, would love to see you with your dapper tie. 

Here is a pic of my Mister with his bow tie. Not only did he tie it himself, but he MADE it himself. He couldn’t find one he wanted so he made it.

D20C21E6-CEC1-481C-8CBF-D359C4F5AD2D.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

GREAT! Now please share a photo or two when you return. I, for one, would love to see you with your dapper tie. 

Here is a pic of my Mister with his bow tie. Not only did he tie it himself, but he MADE it himself. He couldn’t find one he wanted so he made it.

D20C21E6-CEC1-481C-8CBF-D359C4F5AD2D.jpeg

Very smart, love the colour coordination with your dress. Afraid mine is a boring plane black silk job but will probably expand the collection when on the longer Canary Islands cruise later this year.

3 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

Very smart, love the colour coordination with your dress. Afraid mine is a boring plane black silk job but will probably expand the collection when on the longer Canary Islands cruise later this year.

I had a long black skirt, a pair of flowy palazzo pants, and a couple of sparkly tops to mix and match. I also took one little black dress and one little blue dress. I had a few silky pashmina to change things up. It was more than enough. The pic was taken on Royal Cunard Ball night which is why we were wearing red.

Edited by Tonopah

Just bought a black and white polka dot bow tie for the black and white night. Having a disagreement with my darling wife, Cunard colours are red white and blue. White shirt of course, I was then going to wear red bow tie with blue cumberband or blue bow tie with red cumberband she says I'll look silly.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, Host Hattie said:

Not sure what the disagreement is about but Cunard colours are Red, black and gold.

When I first step foot on a Cunarder in 1980 all marketing material was in red and black. I think the gold crept in when Trafalgar House painted the QE2's hull blue and had the white running line above the red boot top painted gold along with a gold "monkey with a nut" painted on the superstructure during her 1994 refit. 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:55 AM, siforest65 said:

Eureka!!! Finally worked out what I was doing wrong. Was putting the unfolded end through first. Once I realised that, I started getting something resembling a bow. Once I understood the construction of the bow I could do it. Had a few goes and can consistently get a passable bow which passed the wife’s scrutiny.

Got a few days to practice before we fly to Hamburg on Thursday before boarding on Friday.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Glad you figured it out.
In my life I had never worn bow ties except for rare formal occasions, and at work I wore uniform or business wear but was happiest in less formal attire.

Still, I thought that during my two weeks aboard QM2 last summer that I'd have some fun with my clothing and even chose to wear a bow tie on some of the non-gala evenings.

Took me a few minutes to get the thing adjusted each time, but luckily if it went askew I have a bit of scruff behind which to hide it.
Enjoy your voyage, and rock your bow tie!

20180926_490.JPG

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Anybody ever seen James Bond in a red tie, or a blue one, or one with flashing lights?

They are also called "black tie" nights for a reason. You wear a black tie.

I agree with big Mac if you are invited to a function and the invitation says black tie then you wear a black bow tie. 

But this is not a black tie night , the " invitation " says Gala night, with a picture of a man in an gold crevat as an example. So I see no problems with coloured bow ties. Ladies can wear what ever colour dress they like, so why shouldn't the gentlemen have a bit of colour. It's a gala night on a vacation .

Just hope 007 doesn't turn up to exercise his licence to kill anyone with a coloured bow tie

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Anybody ever seen James Bond in a red tie, or a blue one, or one with flashing lights?

They are also called "black tie" nights for a reason. You wear a black tie.

They are called “black tie” to distinguish the “informal” tuxedo from the more formal tails - which always involved a white tie.  From the beginning, colored ties, and cummerbunds, were acceptable - initially regimental or school patterns/colors.

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

They are called “black tie” to distinguish the “informal” tuxedo from the more formal tails - which always involved a white tie.  From the beginning, colored ties, and cummerbunds, were acceptable - initially regimental or school patterns/colors.

Debrett's doesn't seem to agree with this view.

Viz:

– A black hand-tied bow tie (avoid ones which are pre-tied). The size of the bow tie should be proportionate to the size of the wearer.

Adults should avoid novelty shirts and ties.

• Like 1

I personally don't like wearing colored or patterned bow ties with a tuxedo, but I couldn't care less if someone does. 

I'm liking the idea of purchasing a few self-tie bow ties which are sized (not adjustable). They appear to be a bit unusual to find online. The sources I've noticed so far are: Sam Hober, and TM Lewin.

Edited by steve1young
grammar

The standard colour for bow ties used to be midnight blue which looks even darker than black at night.

If you read further down in the Debretts article they warn about straying to far from  conventional colours (burgundy and black) for matching ties and cumberbunds. Warning readers to stay away from pastel. Certainly burgundy ties are acceptable to Debretts, and by implication other colours.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Viz:

– A black hand-tied bow tie (avoid ones which are pre-tied). The size of the bow tie should be proportionate to the size of the wearer.

Of course Debrett’s — a competent, albeit regional, aurthority - is not the final word — certainly when it comes to accessories to wear with the Tuxedo (named for the New York community where it gained acceptability).

I went online and found several sites that say it is OK to wear color bow ties to “black tie” affairs. It’s amazing what one can find that agrees with one’s viewpoint, and use that as proof. Want to only wear only black bow ties? Go for it. Nothing I say (or websites I share) will change that opinion. And we will happily go along wearing our matchy-matchy items.

And the OP will look so smashing in whichever bow tie he chooses and ties himself. 

• Like 4

Sod’s law and the pre tied one appeared as we were packing tonight. Prefer the self tie but have packed the pre tie one as a kind of comfort blanket. Simple things and that but learning to tie a proper bow tie has given me a huge sense of satisfaction and will certainly be getting more for our longer cruises.

1 hour ago, Tonopah said:

I went online and found several sites that say it is OK to wear color bow ties to “black tie” affairs. It’s amazing what one can find that agrees with one’s viewpoint, and use that as proof. Want to only wear only black bow ties? Go for it. Nothing I say (or websites I share) will change that opinion. And we will happily go along wearing our matchy-matchy items.

And the OP will look so smashing in whichever bow tie he chooses and ties himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve1young said:

I'm liking the idea of purchasing a few self-tie bow ties which are sized (not adjustable). They appear to be a bit unusual to find online. The sources I've noticed so far are: Sam Hober, and TM Lewin.

I have purchased a bowtie online from https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/shop/ .  They have a large selection of menswear accessories.  You might take a look there.

• Thanks 1

Well I survived the formal night and bow tie seemed passable. Waiting to disembark QM2 now. Was surprised at what seemed a low uptake in formal wear with a couple on the nightclub dance floor in cargo trousers and walking shoes. 

I'm glad the bow tie was a success, I hope you had a good trip.

G32 is one of the casual dress areas so it's not surprising there were people in non formal wear. Hopefully passengers were properly dressed in the formal restaurants and bars.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:35 PM, BigMac1953 said:

Viz:

Just catching up with this thread.

I recall i was most fortunate as the Royal Navy, in the form of a Gieves & Hawkes tailor, taught me the art God knows how many years ago.

The guy even gave us a printed guide which often came in handy when too much alcohol had been consumed. It was over-used and eventually fell apart so I can only offer this guide sourced from the cybersphere...

347194236_BowTieHowtoTieone.thumb.jpg.e493b6970f90304506484535281389a2.jpg

...which may well save any future embarrassment.

Personally I think, as Big Mac has indicated,  the self-tie looks and feels so much more smarter. Spot the selfie...

153049329_QM2PrincessGrillTablecompanionsAugust2006.jpg.5837173fdeaab0928ae67c6ae64888c2.jpg

On a slightly more humorous note, I recall attending many a naval formal 'lunch' in a somewhat alternative style...

1482188385_HMSDolphinBlueRoomlunch.thumb.JPG.fdd4f5cc604b1cdcd296e61eb6755273.JPG

...that still maintained that sense of occasion. 😁

• Like 1

The two-nighter between Southampton and Hamburg (in either direction) is a bit problematic because Cunard feels it necessary to fit in a formal night although the majority of the passengers will be disembarking the next morning. I think that affects the number of people who make the effort. I also heard that very few people were present at second seating dinner last night, and probably opted for the buffet instead.