Haven Access for non-Haven Guests - Thoughts?

pcakes122

2 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

The wait last night for a table for two in the Haven at 7 was 15-20 minutes. Also, there were days where the bar was 2 deep of people before dinner. I asked Julie, the assistant concierge of the Haven restaurant, and she confirmed that they started this on the 13th. 

If this was due to the new program, I'd be writing NCL for partial refund for what you paid for Haven.  Unexcusable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

The website states that is "limited availability" my guess this will be controlled by the concierge. Since his tips rely on the Haven guests does anyone really think he is going to bite the hand that feeds him? I truly believe this should be a nothing problem. How many people would pay there 120 for a meal and 1 hour before or after at the lounge. Will they ask a person to leave? If the lounge is not empty probably not if it is packed with Haven guests...they probably will. Again for the same reason.....don't piss off the people who are tipping you. 

People are a vacation, If they can spend hundreds on a shore excursion, they can spend a $100 in the Haven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shidah said:

I agree with the poster who thinks this is to answer “can I bring a friend to eat with us”, yes you can for 50. .....  So it has happened in the past, it is just now an official policy.

I think you are missing a few things here.  First, when staying in the Haven you can ask the concierge if you can bring a guest for dinner - if they say yes then the charge (last I heard it was $35) was charged to YOUR room (since they are your guest.)  The guest was allowed to join you for dinner in the restaurant and to visit your room - but not permitted to use the lounge and Haven bar.

This new policy is open to ALL cruisers - you don't have to have a friend cruising in the Haven to take advantage of this offer.  Along with dinner, you are also granted one-hour (don't know how they will govern that) access to the Haven bar and lounge.

5 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I think you are missing a few things here.  First, when staying in the Haven you can ask the concierge if you can bring a guest for dinner - if they say yes then the charge (last I heard it was $35) was charged to YOUR room (since they are your guest.)  The guest was allowed to join you for dinner in the restaurant and to visit your room - but not permitted to use the lounge and Haven bar.

This new policy is open to ALL cruisers - you don't have to have a friend cruising in the Haven to take advantage of this offer.  Along with dinner, you are also granted one-hour (don't know how they will govern that) access to the Haven bar and lounge.

This is a bad corporate decision!  NCL will lose loyal customers if they let this go into effect.  We will definitely jump ship!

• Like 2

I hope everyone who is upset realizes how snobby you all sound.  From this thread I think I am going to try and avoid anyone who is staying in the Haven as I don't think I want my kids exposed to your behavior.  I think that the only people who have a beef with this should be those who paid for the Haven from the start, not those that are going to be there because they won a bid.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I hope everyone who is upset realizes how snobby you all sound.  From this thread I think I am going to try and avoid anyone who is staying in the Haven as I don't think I want my kids exposed to your behavior.  I think that the only people who have a beef with this should be those who paid for the Haven from the start, not those that are going to be there because they won a bid.

As long as the person has paid for their Haven room (full price, discount deals or bidding for an upgrade) they belong in the Haven Restaurant.

Allowing guests who are not Paid for the Haven experience, and pay an up charge is unacceptable.  The Haven Restaurant should be for Haven guests only and not become a specialty restaurant for the whole ship.  It has nothing to do with being snobby.  It has to do with being sold exclusivity and then they change their policy after you’ve paid thousands extra.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thistimeplease said:

I think that the only people who have a beef with this should be those who paid for the Haven from the start, not those that are going to be there because they won a bid.

Which we have always done!  We don’t take many vacays and expect the “ship within a ship” experience we paid top dollars for.  No need to insult anyone who expects to receive service they paid for and advertised by NCL whether paid upfront or via a bid.  The bidders pay extra for this unique experience, too, although probably not as much as we pay by booking the Haven from the start.  NCL advertises this concept and by letting others in, they are changing the exclusive Haven access we pay a lot extra for in advance to just another specialty restaurant experience that even Haven passengers pay extra for.  Will we need to make advance reservations for Haven dinners now just like trying to get premium times for the specialty venues?

• Like 2

Variations of this are popping up all over the YouTube travel agents' channels:

"NCL has just opened up the Haven. Anyone on the ship can use its bar and restaurant now. They are advertising it on their website. You can save big $ by not booking the Haven. Just get a standard cabin, and head on up and join the fun. It will be especially good on viewing days as the Haven has THE best views! Burn up that free drink credit in the poshest bar on the ship hanging out with the Gucci crowd, and watch the glaciers slide by."

Some of the channels have had as many as a million views in the past.

• Thanks 1

Checked my reservation for Breakaway June 23.  It shows this message when you go to the restaurant options.  I guess the change took effect immediately. Booked May 26 and it didn't show then.  We are in a Haven cabin that we payed full price for.

We have many reasons to cruise Haven but will have to look elsewhere if we don't feel like we are getting the value as advertised

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

As long as the person has paid for their Haven room (full price, discount deals or bidding for an upgrade) they belong in the Haven Restaurant.

Allowing guests who are not Paid for the Haven experience, and pay an up charge is unacceptable.  The Haven Restaurant should be for Haven guests only and not become a specialty restaurant for the whole ship.  It has nothing to do with being snobby.  It has to do with being sold exclusivity and then they change their policy after you’ve paid thousands extra.

I agree with you but some of the posters here have certainly put out the opinion that because they are in the Haven they are superior to all others.  This is entirely untrue.  We don't bid or look for a room in the Haven because we feel it is a waste of our hard earned dollars.  We enjoy ourselves with our balcony room and have seen and met many wonderful people who weren't in the Haven.  I still don't agree with those who only got into the Haven by a bid complaining like they are and for a while that was a subject that many on these boards voiced. I have no desire to eat in the Haven restaurant and wouldn't pay this upcharge for it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

It’s not about being a snob or the right to complain only if you paid full fare vs upgrade advantage. It’s about a product advertised as quiet, tranquil, dedicated... 

a person booked in a spa balcony often pays considerably more than the same balcony next door without spa access. They paid more because they were sold spa access with the assumption they had access to a tranquil low crowd area of the ship.  In reality the spa will sell enough passes to potentially make the spa as crowded as the pool deck.  Everyone who holds a spa pass no matter how it was purchased, has the assumption they’ll get a tranquil spa experience.  I’ve had this type of typical experience but have also been in the spa when they had zero lockers available, the hot tubs were more packed than the outside free ones and they had zero place to sit.  At those times I thought what a waste of $249 for a week of tranquil spa time but at least it was not a 10k + mistake. 

If I’d paid thousands more for an upgrade advantage I’d be just as upset as the passengers paying 10’s of thousands more for the Haven stateroom from the get go. Both would rightfully be a bit upset to have paid that money for the dedicated service, venues, low crowds, intimate experience only to receive something very different once onboard. That’s not being a snob. It’s more being a little too gullible when being sold a product that isn’t delivering what they sold. 

Ncl’s Haven stands out in the crowd.  It’s a great product that folks are willing to try at really high prices. It’s up to ncl to protect that product but looks more like they have decided to forgo the brand for the sake of a few extra bucks per sailing. Seems short sighted but to each their own. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

It’s not about being a snob or the right to complain only if you paid full fare vs upgrade advantage. It’s about a product advertised as quiet, tranquil, dedicated... 

a person booked in a spa balcony often pays considerably more than the same balcony next door without spa access. They paid more because they were sold spa access with the assumption they had access to a tranquil low crowd area of the ship.  In reality the spa will sell enough passes to potentially make the spa as crowded as the pool deck.  Everyone who holds a spa pass no matter how it was purchased, has the assumption they’ll get a tranquil spa experience.  I’ve had this type of typical experience but have also been in the spa when they had zero lockers available, the hot tubs were more packed than the outside free ones and they had zero place to sit.  At those times I thought what a waste of $249 for a week of tranquil spa time but at least it was not a 10k + mistake. 

If I’d paid thousands more for an upgrade advantage I’d be just as upset as the passengers paying 10’s of thousands more for the Haven stateroom from the get go. Both would rightfully be a bit upset to have paid that money for the dedicated service, venues, low crowds, intimate experience only to receive something very different once onboard. That’s not being a snob. It’s more being a little too gullible when being sold a product that isn’t delivering what they sold. 

Ncl’s Haven stands out in the crowd.  It’s a great product that folks are willing to try at really high prices. It’s up to ncl to protect that product but looks more like they have decided to forgo the brand for the sake of a few extra bucks per sailing. Seems short sighted but to each their own. 

As I said in my last post I agree but I don't agree with those complaining who only got to the Haven by winning a bid.  If it weren't for their winning the bid they'd be in steerage with the rest of us. Instead of looking down their noses at us maybe they should realize they just got lucky.

3 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

As I said in my last post I agree but I don't agree with those complaining who only got to the Haven by winning a bid.  If it weren't for their winning the bid they'd be in steerage with the rest of us. Instead of looking down their noses at us maybe they should realize they just got lucky.

Stop being dramatic. There is no such thing as steerage these days. No one is looking down their noses. 

Bid or original booking, Haven guests are paying a premium price for a premium experience. Crowding up the joint -- with anybody, whoever from wherever -- erodes the experience they paid for.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

There’s plenty of passengers, myself included, who are sometimes sailing in the least expensive sail away inside or balcony and sometimes splurging for the Haven experience. Speaking from my own experience, when I pay full price for a haven, I don’t think any differently about the guy next door who won a upgrade advantage nor the inside sail away last minute rate. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, thistimeplease said:

I guess I don’t see them as looking down their noses.  You are making a blanket assumption without factual evidence.  They are willing to pay extra, sometimes thousands of dollars, for the Haven experience.  If they win a bid, they have every right to be excited.  Does not mean they are being snobs.  And thanks for giving the impression you think all Haven people are snobs.  We also work very hard for the money to afford to cruise in this style.  And we only do one big vacay a year because we decide to do the “ship within a ship” experience.  Actually we are pleasant individuals not the snobs you are referring to.  Again, no need to be insulting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Honestly, it sounds like you are the one who considers non-Haven "steerage" - I don't remember anyone here saying that.  The Haven is not a different CLASS, it is a different EXPERIENCE.  The premium charge is for that distinctive experience.  I have cruised both Haven and non-Haven (and still do) and it is absolutely a different experience.  I am the same person no matter which I book - but I have different expectations and rightfully so.

• Like 10

I wonder if the specialty dining package can be used toward this - maybe with an upcharge? That would definitely open a whole new can of worms...

How would you even go about booking this? I see it on my reservation for Bliss in September, but it's not available to actually book anything. I'm doing my first Haven sailing and will be disappointed if there are long waits to get a table in the restaurant. Having said that, I don't really have anything to compare to as I've not sailed Haven before...

• Like 1

It will be incremental. Next it will be open for lunch, then breakfast, then it will be day passes with full lounge, pool, and sundeck access, and then viewing packages on the sun deck on glacier days with a bar, food, photographer, face painting for the kiddies, a wet t-shirt competition, and DJ BadDog putting out some thumpin' EDM beats with a rave party until 3.00am, for the special price of...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

You realize those bids aren’t like fifty bucks, right? They are hundreds to thousands. And it doesn’t matter—a Haven room is a Haven room. There are (limited) amenities that are supposed to be available for those rooms. Not “those rooms plus anyone else who slips us a few more twenties”.

Anyway. I’ve got two cruisenext certificates left, just waiting for an upcoming cruise to have its last-minute price drop, then going to get in what will presumably be my last solo studio cruise before they start selling passes to the studio lounge for $20 ... then get the heck away from this company. 

Edited by perditax