Good Free Coffee On Board

emory2001

I didn't find an existing thread that addresses this - which cruise line has the best cost-included coffee? Does it exist? (i.e. not counting Starbucks or other coffees you have to pay extra for) I've mostly cruised Royal Caribbean, and while this is by no means a cruise-killer, their free coffee on board is terrible. I always end up paying extra for the better coffee.

Celebrity, I believe has a beverage pkg you can purchase which includes specialty coffees.   The premium plus lines (Azamara, Oceania), and the luxury lines (Regent, Crystal, Silversea, and seabourn) have included specialty coffees.   On Oceania, all soft drinks, and non alcoholic drinks (including specialty non alcoholic coffees) are included.   On the luxury lines, alcohol is also included in your fare.   Price them out...after including your beverage pkg, and air, sometimes the premium plus lines are comparable in price.   

Agree - celebrity.  Coffee is a matter of personal taste so what I think is good might not match but with the classic beverage package (which is included  as a "perk" on pretty much all bookings) includes free specialty coffee - so you can have it any way you like!

But the stuff in the Cafe actually isn't bad....

10 hours ago, Donald said:

If you get away from the cheap mass market cruise lines, you will find that the better cruise companies all feature better quality coffee without those extra charges

Fair enough. I choose those lines because on my budget I'd rather cruise more often than more expensive (and I'm paying for 2-4 people each time, depending on who in our family goes), so I'll pay for the surcharge coffee.

Edited by emory2001
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Sorry but if you call Starucks “good” you’ll be fine with most lines sludge.

I knew someone would go there, and to accomplish what?  On the various travel forums I frequent, Americans are always bashing Starbucks, Canadians are always bashing Tim Hortons, yet every time I walk into a Starbucks, or a Tim Hortons the handful of times I've been in Canada, there is always a line. I'm sure some people genuinely think those coffees aren't good, but I think some people just enjoy bashing what's mainstream. When I have gone to local coffee shops, from Orlando to San Francisco, I rarely love it. It's always too strong for me. 

And no, enjoying Starbucks doesn't mean I'm "fine with most lines sludge." There's a difference.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the roast you get.  Most "pedestrian" coffee on cruise lines is some blend of arabica beans.

Most use some medium roast.  But it can be strong or weak depending on amount of water used and your tastes.

RCCL also has Seattle Best and offers Dark, Medium, or flavored press pots at several cafes.  No need to head to sister company's kiosk.  Carnival uses Lavazza and mostly the medium roast but expresso roast is available in their Java Shack coffee bar.

I've read some positive things about Starbuck's instant packets (Via?) that you could take onboard with you if you don't like the included coffee.   We had no issues bringing other drink packets, like Crystal Light, to mix with water.  Folgers and Maxwell House (not sure if either of those are acceptable - I can't stand the smell of MH) also have packets that look like tea bags but have grounds which might work too.

Sorry...but MSC has the best coffees at sea.  They really know how to brew a cup of Java.  Most of their bars serve espresso and various coffees and they are all excellent.  Their specialty coffee bars like Venci’s Chocolates are even better!  Coffee in the Yacht Club is taken to a higher level...absolutely Heaven.

14 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sorry...but MSC has the best coffees at sea.  They really know how to brew a cup of Java.  Most of their bars serve espresso and various coffees and they are all excellent.  Their specialty coffee bars like Venci’s Chocolates are even better!  Coffee in the Yacht Club is taken to a higher level...absolutely Heaven.

Thank you for the fair assessment without being condescending. I've been considering cruising MSC. In fact, I almost booked MSC for our Northern Europe cruise for next summer, but Royal Caribbean had the exact date we needed, to coincide with visiting friends in Denmark first. Living in Florida, I'm considering booking an MSC cruise out of Miami just to try it. I'll definitely hit up their coffee.

12 hours ago, emory2001 said:

Thank you for the fair assessment without being condescending. I've been considering cruising MSC. In fact, I almost booked MSC for our Northern Europe cruise for next summer, but Royal Caribbean had the exact date we needed, to coincide with visiting friends in Denmark first. Living in Florida, I'm considering booking an MSC cruise out of Miami just to try it. I'll definitely hit up their coffee.

MSC is a work in progress.  They are still working out the bugs but if you are up for a new experience you will enjoy.  Check out he MSC Yacht Club...it is worth every penny...and you get all that great coffee.  Even the room service coffee is good!

• 3 weeks later...

Oceania does not charge extra for their specialty coffees (fraps, caps, lattes, etc).  They have a contract with Illy, IMO one of the best coffee producers around, next to La Colombe.  Since O has some of the best cuisine at sea, they are focused on the quality of their coffee service as well.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:45 AM, catsngoats said:

Oceania does not charge extra for their specialty coffees (fraps, caps, lattes, etc).  They have a contract with Illy, IMO one of the best coffee producers around, next to La Colombe.  Since O has some of the best cuisine at sea, they are focused on the quality of their coffee service as well.

Cats,

The OP cannot afford to sail on a quality line. He is looking for free good coffee on a mass market ship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, cb at sea said:

I've found the coffee in the dining room on RCI to be MUCH better than the buffet has available.  Even the room service coffee was ok...it was just the stuff in the "self-serve" pot that was nasty!

Hi cb,

I can't remember how the coffee tasted on RCI.  I had hoped it would improve!  I was a tea drinker back then.

When you say the "self serve pot," do you mean the coffee served in Park Cafe, Solarium Bistro and Cafe Promenade (not sure they have free coffee)?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...