Silver Wind London to Copenhagen 6/22-7/6+ Norway Questions

chrism23

This will be my 6th Silversea sailing.  I was on the Wind last year in the Caribbean and it was tired and in need of refurbishment.  Recent reviews on CC vary as to how well the refit went.  I remain concerned.  Anyhow,  This cruise is 14 days from London to Copenhagen.  Its all about Norway up the west coast from Flam to Hammerfest.  I have a few questions about a few things I am confused about.    

1. Weather.  I have no idea what to expect.  I have done the necessary research.  I read temps from 45-65 (f) and this doesn't tell me much.  Specific questions include-whether the pool area is comfortable while at sea-can I work on my tan without shivering.  Are hiking shorts for shore excursions ok or will I need long pants. How rough do the coastal Norwegian waters get.  There was just the video of the ship that had to be abandoned getting pounded by North sea waters. is this typical and do a lot of Norwegian excursions get cancelled because of rough seas?  This was one of the major problems with the Wind and its Captain in the Caribbean-three stops were cancelled because of rough seas.  Too many. The Captain came in for a lot of criticism.  

Ports.  I won't list all the ports there are too many and their names are too long.  Are there any must sees or dos and are there any ports or excursions to avoid.  We are signed up for the usual, the railway in Flam, the Art Nouveau walk in Alesund etc.  What I want to avoid are ports like many in Alaska that really only exist for tourists and every other store is a Diamonds International trying to sell you tanzanite.  (In Alaska my recommendation is generally to get out of town fast).  

Ship:  It is mentioned frequently that the Wind will be converted to an ice class ship in 2020.  What I don't understand, if that is the case, why the ship went through a major refit, in dry dock, in November I believe.  For Silversea veterans-did this work or does the ship still seem old and tired as it did last year.  

Thanks for any help  A total aside.  If you on this cruise and are a hardcore trivia player as I am, I will be looking for a team.  I will be Chris in cabin 731.  I won the initial round on my first Silversea cruise by my self until I realized it was a team event.  I am looking for Brits, people who know show tunes, and know something about pop music post 2000.  I can't tell the difference between Beyonce and Taylor Swift.  Anyhow.

cheers

chris

I am on this cruise too but I can only answer some of your questions as I haven't done Norway before altho' I am at 310 days with SS .

We will be waaaay too far north to be worth trying to suntan IMO, we are starting at 51 degrees latitude and are going up to 70+ degrees, I only sunbathe at 32 degrees or more southerly. For reference, you live at approx. 42 degrees. The pool? Who knows, I never go in it.

I'm bringing shorts (well, zip off pants) but that's mostly for before and after in London and Copenhagen. I have fleece lined pants for within the Arctic circle, it'll probably be in the 40s by day there, lower overnight. But we might be lucky and have a heat wave, they did last summer.

I've booked Hot Rocks for three nights within the Arctic Circle for the amusement of eating dinner outside in full daylight. But it won't be warm.

I'm much too impatient to bother with trailing around on excursions but I have booked the Flam railway since I'm also too lazy to sort out how to book it myself. I've done a lot of research on the other ports and have pretty much figured out what I'm likely to do in each but that's a very individual thing.

Up the fjords the sea will be calm; along the coast it could be anything.

This'll be my third cruise on the Wind this year and she's looking just fine but then I don't care as much as some people seem to about superficial 'looks'. The engines run and food and drinks are served.

And while it's not actually true to say I cruise to Trivia, it's not far off. I'll be there on the first afternoon looking for a team - I'm Brit (sort of), useless on pop music, great on other areas tho'. Fortunately, Colin (CD) is disembarking on 22nd and Allan King is back on board - I prefer his questions to Colin's.

And ignorant people who criticize a Captain for missing ports clearly don't understand that he has a great deal more information upon which to base his decision than the pax, and a huge responsibility if he makes the wrong decision.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m doing a similar to yours next August but in reverse.... mine will be the final voyage prior to cloudification, so interested to see the replies.

The Wind is my favourite do I’m probably a little bias and think I agree with JJ on her views on appearance. She isn’t a new ship and I do think people need to bare that in mind. I tend to think she has character.

Weather is the luck of the draw, we had been forecast a hot June in the UK and have been subjected to torrential rain and flooding, but in terms of sunbathing, I do think the pool will be open (it was in the Baltic this time of the year) don’t think this will change. Too cold to sunbathe IMHO.

One bit of good news, your visit to Flam will be one of, if not the last for the wind as Norwegian law has banned Silver Wind from 2019 so mine has unfortunately been axed, much to my disappointment. The larger (newer) ships are still allowed!

• Like 1

We disembarked in London at the end of May.Ship we fell was in pretty good shape.

Weather-even a forecast the day before is often wrong but as les says it is likely to be a little cold than warm and suntans are unlikely to be improved.

I am just finishing a cruise report.A lot of menus and food pics.

And the trivia was enjoyable.

We got off the Wind last Sunday and she seemed in fine shape. The  bathrooms will be overhauled to remove most of the baths and replaced them with a shower. That can’t happen too soon IMO. 

Her wooden finishes look a little dated but her soft furnishings are subtle and confortable. If you are expecting her to have been blinged up, you will be disappointed. Discreetly elegant is nearer the mark. 

Food was the best we have had on Silversea for some time, with the exception of a couple of unmemorable dishes in La Terrazza. 

Service was uniformly good. 

In Flam we did our own train excursion and had a better and cheaper time than those on tour- in the opinion of some of them. 

The only problems were tendering arrangments which were poorly managed. There was only one tender used with very lengthy waits even when the ship was not far off shore. 

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip. 

Rp 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

This will be my 6th Silversea sailing. This cruise is 14 days from London to Copenhagen.  Its all about Norway up the west coast from Flam to Hammerfest.

Your upcoming Norway cruise to the Top of Europe will have many great ports and options as you experience the "MIDNIGHT SUN" above the Arctic Circle, etc.  As detailed from the live/blog below, we enjoyed so much of ALL that is there to see in these scenic areas.  The ports/areas we enjoyed in July 2010 were Flam, Gudvangen, Alesund, Leknes, Tromso, North Cape, Honningsvag, Hammerfest, Bergen, Copenhagen.

Each location has its different and special aspects.  Among our top favorites were the Flam rail adventure, seeing these dramatic fjords, exploring the dramatic Lofoten Islands, seeing that North Cape, soaking up historic and charming Bergen and finally for Copenhagen, hopefully you will have added time there at the end of your cruise.  

Need proof and evidence?   Below are only a few visual samples for these areas.  Many, many more on the live/blog connected below.  As to the weather, our Captain explained that July is the best month for exploring these areas.  For late June, you should also have decent weather.  BUT, be prepared to layer and adjust for changes, cooler or warmer.  Other questions and info needs?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,956 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few samples from the scenic fjords, being at the North Cape, seeing the dramatic Lofoten Island and even a special food displays on the ship.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

701825977_Norwaybestcopy20100181.jpg.fa596688b9fd430fbf5239b082655d63.jpg

153279097_Norwaybestcopy20100264.jpg.fb3aa11202826d159e3020bb7acbf500.jpg

1086907161_Norwaybestcopy20100783.jpg.e902603b65ff9393bcc7d8cef0957129.jpg

1742369470_Norwaybestcopy20100682.jpg.18228b89e6bd137ebf0d72c7e1a9ae4e.jpg

For historic and charming Bergen, here are a couple of my visual samples.:

595589442_Norwaybestcopy20100162.jpg.6c89438117efd017cf0bc0b3348ad15e.jpg

1127731352_Norwaybestcopy20100521.jpg.31b986276f2dc9f32190175731f1cd16.jpg

Love Copenhagen and its wonderful Tivoli Gardens, etc., etc.!!:

1070730372_Norwaybestcopy20100225.jpg.5ee09b3b95f0a2ba5fcc8fc242eda773.jpg

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Colin (CD) is disembarking on 22nd and Allan King is back on board - I prefer his questions to Colin's.

Great to hear that CD Allan King is keeping busy and having fun.  We have done three cruises with him and his jokes are a little corny.  BUT, super fun!!  Love his "Happy Soxes". Not sure as to how well (or not) Allan is with his trivia questions.  He has bad an amazing career and wide range of cruise ship experiences.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,055 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here are a couple views of Allan in action on the Silver Cloud, plus an example of his "Happy Soxes".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

TC2_6161.jpg.27c2a54a9e89a023c0b8f228d1939062.jpg

1931372934_TC4_62872.jpg.8058eed1599da41ddf08768de97bbf03.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, jollyjones said:

Colin (CD) is disembarking on 22nd and Allan King is back on board - I prefer his questions to Colin's.

Me too.  I had Colin last year for trivia and he just wasn't any fun.  Never had Allan King before.  The best CD imho, for trivia, is Jimmy (forget his last name) he should be a stand up comedian.  Anyhow, I don't quite know how to hook up but you sound like a fellow trivia fan.  My bona fide is that I (my team) actually earned enough points one trip to get a hat instead of the stuff you can take from your room.  Thanks for the reply.  Cheers.

Don't be afraid to stay up late!   We did this cruise a few years ago and the highlight was sitting on the deck outside La Terraza drinking wine with another couple until 2 in the morning the evening after we had been to Honningsvag .  Ship was completely quiet and as you sail through the islands in the twilight total peace.  Early morning sails into fjords are very special too.  You will have a wonderful time.

We are on this sailing!  We leave tomorrow and spending 3 days in London.  My Dad is coming as well.   Hopefully we will meet on board chrism23 and jollyjones.  We just will put on a lot of clothes if it is cold, and I get cold in Florida!  safe travels!

I'm equipped for everything from weather above the Arctic circle to a heatwave in London (could happen) and all, as usual, in just carryon.

Setting out this afternoon, looking forward to a few days in London again.

The odd hours onboard are going to be a challenge to my aging bod - starting with the 5.30 AM sailaway which I don't want to miss, it'll be my last time under Tower Bridge as I'll not be back on the little girls - I don't do expedition cruising and I've found the little girls to be just too little. Then all the early morning fjord sailins after the late night midnight sun on deck champagnes, and afternoon naps forshortened for Trivia ... 

Our CD should be Allan but I read here that he's recently been on the Shadow - odd, he usually only does the Wind, we'll see. Jimmy is Jimmy Kovel - agree, a very good CD but he has aspirations to be a HD, he'll be good at that too but he'll be a loss on the Trivia circuit. Moss was good too, but they've moved him to the Cloud.

I should be easy to locate - a solo (very solo, I like to be on my own a fair bit of the time) with shortish grey hair and a suntan. At the bar in Panorama surveying, but not joining, the solos cocktail gathering. 

Fingers crossed for smooth travels to all, I am so so glad XR cancelled their drone threat to Heathrow!!

• Like 2

I do wish I was coming too and I only got of the Wind just over a week ago.

If people are not too tired with all the early mornings and late evenings and you like this sort of thing, may I suggest that you ask Soraia, one of the Social Hostesses, to do a Brazilian jazz set with, Andre, the Brazilian guitarist, one evening in the Bar? Perfect, subtle, late night music.

Rp

22 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I will be easy to locate......

I'll do something to make it very easy to locate me .  I will walk into the lounge wearing a tan fancy Silversea baseball cap.  I too am soon out the door.  So hopefully we can catch up on the boat.  Any one who commented on this thread, like amomx5 that want to join a trivia team, look for me too.  Should be fun.

Edited by chrism23

3 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

I'll do something to make it very easy to locate me .  I will walk into the lounge wearing a tan fancy Silversea baseball cap.  I too am soon out the door.  So hopefully we can catch up on the boat.  Any one who commented on this thread, like amomx5 that want to join a trivia team, look for me too.  Should be fun.

Jolly Jones and Chrism23 we are also on this cruise (4 Australians) and are looking to form a team for trivia.  We would love to join you.  I will look for you both on the first trivia day.  We are not great with sport questions but okay with music, geography and science.  So hopefully we will be a good team.

Looking forward to this cruise.

Karen, Robert, Anthony, and Robyn.

Friend of mine showed me a photo she took of the Wind arriving on Friday evening at about 5.15 from a pub on the Isle of Dogs, which has the O2 in the background.

IMG_2766.jpg

I was up this morning for the Wind departure from the Tower and could see it was really misty. The view from the Shard Cam was showing zero - couldn't even see the river. My viewing, was from my usual haunt at the Dartford Crossing. I could see from the footage, no one visible apart from a few crew members. It reached the bridge a little later that expected, so wonder if the departure was on time or delayed? (Would only have been by 10 minutes or so if it was, so maybe the spinround took a little longer.

Anyway, a good flight this morning which is now live on youtube. I appreciate its unlikely anyone on board will see until you reach land with the poor internet speeds, so leave others to comment until then. Some pretty good clips in it.... great on a 4K TV!

And what I'd said in my post above..... Enjoy Flam.... your arrival in a couple of days will as stated be the last visit for Silver Wind. (Personally annoying as my Norwegian cruise next year on the Wind has had the Flam stop removed and was to be one of the highlights and the scene of intended footage to be taken departing Flam and arriving at Geiranger after a 30 minute bus hop.

Anywho......

Here is your passage through Dartford this morning.

Edited by les37b

Yes, Les, we slipped our lines at 0540 rather than 0530. And yes it was a cold and misty morning. And yes I was up and watching it all from deck 8 aft as we backed out - only stayed on deck till the barrier, then went into the warm for a lifesaving coffee. Looked up at the Dartford Crossing from my balcony, couldn’t be bothered to get coated up again to go out on deck. 

Internet speeds perfectly OK, can stream from YouTube, watched some of your video but the music was not my thing. 

Edited by jollyjones

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Yes, Les, we slipped our lines at 0540 rather than 0530. And yes it was a cold and misty morning. And yes I was up and watching it all from deck 8 aft as we backed out - only stayed on deck till the barrier, then went into the warm for a lifesaving coffee. Looked up at the Dartford Crossing from my balcony, couldn’t be bothered to get coated up again to go out on deck. 

Internet speeds perfectly OK, can stream from YouTube, watched some of your video but the music was not my thing. 

Have a great trip Jolly.

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

It was still pretty misty even by the time you reached Dartford and I don't blame you for not staying up. My Tower departure was at 6pm and probably did similar until the barrier and again was watching the bridge pass under. Passed this point there is no wow factor even for a local (IMHO) unless Spirit was docked in Tibury which is probably another 30 mins passed the bridge.

Good to note it really is a full 2 hours exactly to the bridge... Thank you for that. It's the same the other way which is surprising given the turnround on the down river leg.

Also, glad internet is good. Music on the videos are always a bit subjective. The main tune trying to keep the London theme going and was the official (albeit longer version) of the 2012 London Olympics. The film is of course near enough the complete take. It does probably get a bit boring, but there are some pretty good parts, near the beginning where the Wind passes and near the end where I break of my chase.... Clips probably better than the ones SS used in their promotions.  Had you remained where you were after the barrier (assuming outside) you definitely would have been clearly visible.

Have fun... Enjoy winning Triv 🙂