mobility issues and New Zealand, Input please

att

Considering booking NCL over Christmas to Sydney/New Zealand. Spouse has tbl walking. We will take a fold up travel scooter (Moving Life). Are there any excursions. private tours that he could do? My fear New Zealand is going to require hiking/navigating uneven ground.

Or should we do Hawaii Cruise?

You should be able to get around OK in NZ. Most ports are docked, and they are modern cities with wheelchair/scooter accessible ramps in many places. Only two, the Bay of Islands and Akaroa, are tender ports. Some ports require use of a shuttle bus to leave the wharf precinct but  as long as your spouse is able to walk onto the bus it shouldn't be a problem. You may need to pick your excursions with care, some may not be suitable for scooters. And you don't even have to get off the ship for the best scenery in NZ, you cruise through the Fiordland sounds.

• Like 1

OzKiwiJJ     Thanks so much. He is fine to walk short distances  and get on bus. His scooter actually folds so you can pull it like suitcase, so fairly easy to take on bus. Appreciate you taking the time.

• Like 1

I don't know what sort of excursions NCL will offer but sometimes cruise lines have "panoramic" tours which are mostly bus travel and little walking. 

Also you could contact local tour operators and see what they can offer. If you look at some if the other threads on this forum you'll find plenty of recommendations.

NZ is a lovely place to cruise although I'm a bit biased as I grew up there. 😉 We've done three NZ cruises so far, it's a great way for us to catch up with friends and family there.

• Like 1

Most shuttle bus service will have wheelchair / scooter access, so that will not be a problem.

We have done a few around NZ with our next one booked New Year on the Ruby Princess.   I can highly recommend Princess and Celebrity lines.

Let me know your ports and I will help where possible.   I also have a blog you could look at.  I haven't updated for last years cruises!   Need to do that!

Edited by MargoK