who has bought cruise ship art on Carnival?

I love people watching at the auctions, especially when someone buys several items at a time usually for good money.  fascinating!

i must admit I never thought I'd buy art on a ship but after many cruises my wife and i kinda liked the same piece.  the lighting made it reflect differently depending on your viewing angle which was kinda cool. we had noooooo idea what was a fair price for the item but I knew it wasn't anything close to the Park West quote. after a few minutes alone we agreed on a price that we wouldn't feel burned if it was "worthless", which park west accepted. 

(it was by the guy that you see on stateroom tv channel grinding metal and setting it on fire.  i liked it because each piece was truly an original, no two the same, and it was hand signed. and I loved watching that damn commercial, still do!) 

• Like 1

When I see these art galleries on the ships, I’m thinking of the same “art” you would see at a Bed, Bath & Beyond and Target.  Except I’d buy it at either of those stores.  

There is a reason Park West (& Effy) specialize in doing much of their business on cruise ships... Captive audience, which historically did not have easy/cheap access to the Internet while onboard. That has changed by and large over the past decade, and you can actually read up the reviews on these companies. I encourage you to do so, and have a shock/laugh.

Just say no, and stay away IMHO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AllAboardatSea said:

There is a reason Park West (& Effy) specialize in doing much of their business on cruise ships... Captive audience, which historically did not have easy/cheap access to the Internet while onboard. That has changed by and large over the past decade, and you can actually read up the reviews on these companies. I encourage you to do so, and have a shock/laugh.

Just say no, and stay away IMHO.

Exactly, and eventually at some point in the future every ship will have free wifi, and I imagine that's when you'll see the end of the art auctions

NY Times had a fascinating article last weekend documenting Peter Max's art dynasty. some of it was sad, some of it shocking.  suffice it to say anyone who has purchased his original work recently (not prints) will be disappointed with who actually did the brush strokes. Max is usually the artist whose work I see bringing the big bucks at ship auctions.  

very sad. 

52 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Exactly, and eventually at some point in the future every ship will have free wifi, and I imagine that's when you'll see the end of the art auctions

Ships will never have free WiFi.

31 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

WiFi is a revenue stream. You think they're going to give that up?

So was Wifi for hotels.  First the lower chains offered it for free, and now hotels geared to business customers on an expense account now offer a basic package.  That access is free, however they do offer an enhanced service that cost extra.  So never say never.

But it will could be a long time coming.

4 minutes ago, gatour said:

So was Wifi for hotels.  First the lower chains offered it for free, and now hotels geared to business customers on an expense account now offer a basic package.  That access is free, however they do offer an enhanced service that cost extra.  So never say never.

But it will could be a long time coming.

i dunno...Ncl Free at Sea promo gave me 200 mins free WiFi, 4 specialty restaurants, unlimited drink package and 2pts per night towards their rewards club last fall. 

I'd imagine some free WiFi will become a standard soon as one cruise line institutes it.  

• Like 2

A couple on their first cruise with us a few years ago spent $1,000's in paintings.  They spent most of their ship time at various art events. I've got to tell you, I was not impressed in the least with what they bought.  But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Butterbean1000

2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

WiFi is a revenue stream. You think they're going to give that up?

Hotels once had a revenue stream in land line phones in their guest rooms. How's that revenue stream doing nowadays? Things change, including technology. 

I still say Art is the guy pouring the cheap fake " champagne. "

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

A couple on their first cruise with us a few years ago spent $1,000's in paintings.  They spent most of their ship time at various art events. I've got to tell you, I was not impressed in the least with what they bought.  But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dogs Playing Poker not your taste? 

There's always the frame to admire.

u-g-E2WZ20.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

• Like 1

I find the whole shipboard shopping thing weird, aside from the usual carnival branded souvenirs.   The art stuff just seems to random for a ship.  I've never been on vacation and thought "ya know - I need a new watch, art, etc".  All the work that goes into trying to get you to come to this and that, if they get your room number, the notes in your mailbox etc.   Just so weird to me.

But some of the "today only sale", all I can think is yup, until day 3 of the next cruise.  I guess it's the idea of creating that illusion of "you're gonna miss out".   

I often wonder if they'd sell more pictures if they only kept them out for a day, instead of the whole cruise.  That way you have more pressure to buy that embarkation picture right away instead of "well, maybe at the end of the cruise if we still have money left".

• Like 1

I remember on earlier cruises Park West would set up their auctions/displays/free champagne in various venues around the ship.  They would set it up then break it down afterwards.  Now it seems like they have their "own dedicated galleries"  Obviously it is a money making venture for Park West and Carnival (or other cruise lines) of they would not give up ship space for it.  Someone must be buying the stuff

My wife and I are art admirers and often go to the art auctions.  Yes, we have bought art on there, but always with cash, knowing it's not really an investment, just art that we enjoy to look at.  We have most of it hanging in our house and we do enjoy learning about the different artists.  Again, we understood from the beginning what type of art we were getting (reprints, seriographs, etc.) and never bought anything we weren't comfortable spending the money.  It's most certainly not for everyone, and no one should go to the auction thinking they are going to get a steal on an original piece.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AHS123 said:

Are you kidding? We've run out of wall space for our Carnival art auction purchases. There's barely room for my home sweet home plate.

3455d4e661b71ca767e425ba53710ad7--travel

That's hilarious, a picture says a 1,000 words. We'll pass on the Carnival auction.

22 hours ago, ishap said:

Yes, we have bought art on there, but always with cash, knowing it's not really an investment, just art that we enjoy to look at.

At the end of the day - that is the best use of art - something that you enjoy!    (or something that your wife says for years "can we get rid of that?")