hermitage museum

eyedoctor

No specific knowledge, just a reasoned assumption.........

I would imagine that Silversea includes the Hermitage in their day-time tours, so the evening would be devoted to the concert.

And it will probably be in a totally different building to the one/s you visited on your tour. 

It's only about 15-20 minutes from the ship, and a lot less if Silversea, having small ships, berth on the River Neva.

JB :classic_smile:

What does the description of the Silverseas excursion say?  I'm curious -- I've seen concerts offered in Catherine's palace before, where in addition to the concert, the big draw is having a chance to walk around and see the place (for example the Amber room) without the normal daytime swarms of people. 

The Hermitage covers numerous buildings. There's a StP joke that you shouldn't go on vacation, as when you return you may find that your apartment has been taken over by The Hermitage.

Catherine's Palace is in Pushkin, about 20 miles outside St Petersburg, and is not (yet!) part of The Hermitage.

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo

I too am curious as to the description of the Silversea's evening concert at the Hermitage. The Hermitage is huge (2nd largest art museum worldwide) and is comprised of 6 buildings (Winter Palace, Old Hermitage, New Hermitage, Small Hermitage and Hermitage Theater).

Also, across Palace Square is another part of the Hermitage, namely the General Staff Building which houses the Impressionist collection (can't imagine that your concert would be held here or at any other of the museum's satellite facilities:Staraya Derevnya, Museum of Porcelain or Menshikov Palace). 

Edited by dogs4fun

This is the description 

Take a step back in history to the time of Catherine the Great during this exclusive shore excursion. This memorable tour of the Hermitage Museum, and a classical music performance by the State Hermitage Orchestra. 

During the time of Catherine the Great, the staterooms of the Royal Winter Residence in St. Petersburg were opened for evening musical receptions for her friends and foreign guests.  She would show them new acquisitions for her rapidly growing collection of European paintings.  As a special Silversea offer, this 18th-century tradition is revived for your entertainment. 

Hermitage Museum / Winter Palace

Depart the pier for the approximate 30-minute drive to the Hermitage Museum.  Upon arrival, take a guided tour through the numerous staterooms of the Winter Palace after the museum has closed.  Along the way, see the exquisite masterpieces of its famous collection of Western European art. 

Following the guided tour, proceed for a champagne reception, followed by a performance of classical music by the State Hermitage Orchestra. 

At the conclusion of the concert, re-board your coach for the approximate 30-minute return drive to the pier.

Please note: This tour involves moderate to extensive amount of walking. Although this excursion is wheelchair-accessible, guests must be accompanied by an assistant in order to stay with the group. Although the museum has elevators, there is a large number of stairs to negotiate throughout the museum and at the entrances. Guests who utilise wheelchairs must advise the Shore Concierge Desk ahead of time in order to pre-arrange the use of the elevators in the Hermitage. Guests are encouraged to dress in smart-casual clothing with flat, comfortable shoes.  Since this event takes place when the Hermitage is closed, some rooms are not available for viewing and the rooms visited are may be similar to those seen on the tour LED-C.  The final route is determined by Hermitage Museum officials and is strictly controlled by security officers.  Guests must follow the assigned tour route.  Flash photography is not allowed inside the Hermitage.  A minimum number of participants is required to operate this programme.

18 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

The Hermitage covers numerous buildings. There's a StP joke that you shouldn't go on vacation, as when you return you may find that your apartment has been taken over by The Hermitage.

Catherine's Palace is in Pushkin, about 20 miles outside St Petersburg, and is not (yet!) part of The Hermitage.

I know that. I was comparing the excursion being offered for a concert at the Hermitage with the excursion I took several years ago for a concert at Catherine's palace. Given the OP's later description, they sound even more similar....

Also, I was adding to JB's response that it's not 'just' about the concert but also a chance to look around without the normal daytime crowds. Applies as well to the Hermitage.

OP:  If you are on a true private tour (e.g., not one of the set 'small group' tours), you can ask to switch the itinerary to not include the Hermitage and do something else instead -- there are plenty of options in St. Petersburg. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know that. I was comparing the excursion being offered for a concert at the Hermitage with the excursion I took several years ago for a concert at Catherine's palace. Given the OP's later description, they sound even more similar....

Also, I was adding to JB's response that it's not 'just' about the concert but also a chance to look around without the normal daytime crowds. Applies as well to the Hermitage.

OP:  If you are on a true private tour (e.g., not one of the set 'small group' tours), you can ask to switch the itinerary to not include the Hermitage and do something else instead -- there are plenty of options in St. Petersburg. 

Thank you for that suggestion. It seems every tour offers same itinerary, even private tours. 

2 minutes ago, fly2themoon said:

Thank you for that suggestion. It seems every tour offers same itinerary, even private tours. 

If you are arranging the tour, you can ask about different itinerary options. We had a private tour of four and we made a few changes/substitutions to what was proposed. 

If you are going with one of the pre-packaged tours and you are part of a larger group assembled by one of the agencies, you may not have the same option.

We are a private tour, and have inquired at several agencies. We have have booked with one because they suggested the itinerary that was most similar to our “ideal” visit. I’m contacting them now to ask for changes/substitutions. Thanks for your suggestion. 

1 hour ago, fly2themoon said:

We are a private tour, and have inquired at several agencies. We have have booked with one because they suggested the itinerary that was most similar to our “ideal” visit. I’m contacting them now to ask for changes/substitutions. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Good luck, although I am sure they will be accommodating.

5 hours ago, fly2themoon said:

Since that evening concert includes touring part of the Hermitage (I wrongly figured that it wouldn't :classic_blush:) and since you can re-vamp the day-time tour to exclude the Hermitage, yes it makes sense to consider doing so. 

If art is your thing it's worth keeping the itinerary as it is, despite the possibility of some repeats (but the place is huge so that's quite a small risk). There's also the possibility that the concert will be remote from the four (?) main buildings of the former Winter Palace which line the riverside, but the blurb mentions. " Along the way, see the exquisite masterpieces of its famous collection of Western European art"  and that is in one of those main buildings

But if you only have a passing interest in art there are plenty of other options that aren't on the must-do list.

If not already included, Mic's suggestion of the ornate subway stations - though that's not going to fill all the available time.

Or the battleship Aurora, which signalled the start of the Russian revolution.

Or simply wandering the main shopping street of Nevsky Prospekt. In most of the world a shopping street wouldn't interest me, but this is "real" St Petersburg rather than "tourist" St Petersburg.

JB :classic_smile:  

Edited by John Bull

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

the subway stations for instance

Our 'Alla group was asked as we started our tour whether there was anything we wanted added. I replied that I had read that the subway stations were interesting. We immediately went to one, and had our driver meet us a few stations later.

Earlier, while still in the planning stage, a synagogue was added when one in the group asked for that and no one objected.

thanks for all the suggestions .  we are huge art lovers so wouldn't remove the hermitage from our private tour just to go at night to the concert, but wondered if it would be enough of an "experience" to be worth it to go back right after return to the ship from our private tour to join the silversea one.?

4 hours ago, eyedoctor said:

thanks for all the suggestions .  we are huge art lovers so wouldn't remove the hermitage from our private tour just to go at night to the concert, but wondered if it would be enough of an "experience" to be worth it to go back right after return to the ship from our private tour to join the silversea one.?

The Hermitage is huge. No matter how many times you go back, you are not going to see all the art.