Punta Sur - how to get there (and back)?

notoriousPAB

We're a group of 4 visiting Cozumel with NCL this August. We'd like to spend the day at Punta Sur but I'm not clear what the best way to get there and back is.

Can we pick up a taxi at the terminal that will take us there? What about getting back to the ship?

Any ideas on cost?

We'd rather not rent a car for the day.

Any suggestions appreciated

This is not an inexpensive day - but you will be rewarded! Punta Sur is one of our favorite places in the Caribbean.  We always use Black Hat - Crescencio Lopez.  He is a wonderful man we have toured with many times.  Email him for a price.  This will be a totally different experience than the other beaches in Cozumel.  It is a long pristine beach with reef offshore.  It is never crowded.  Hammocks in the shade.  We are returning in October - can't wait!!!

So that you have a comparison:  taxi rates to Punta Sur from the cruise piers are around $35-40 (depending on which exchange rate the taxis are using) one way per taxi to Punta Sur (1-4 people).  There's a $12 entry fee pp to the ecological park which you have to go through.  Getting a taxi back might be difficult, and waiting time for the taxi you hired is around $17-20 an hour.

And FYI Black Hat can be reached:  reservations@blackhattours.com Also on FB.

I would definitely not go to Punta Sur on a cruise ship day without pre-arranging return transport. Cell phone service on that side of the island can be spotty.

Prices quoted by Crew are about right. You can pre -arrange a driver ( we always use Tours Plaza http://www.toursplaza.com/ ) or you can take your chances with a driver from dispatch for so many hours (with waiting), prices listed on the board, and check before you leave.

Recently i have seen some cruise line excursions to there and there are some e-bike tours.

the beach bar at Punta sur is under new management and I havent seen them offer  excursions with transport but I guess you could check.

Edited by c-leg5

That's great advice, everybody - thanks!

We're debating whether to rent a car or pre-book with Black Hat/Tour Plaza

I'm swaying toward pre-booking a tour to avoid any issues with filling the tank up or any hassle when driving ourselves.

I know it'll be a little more expensive, but it sounds worth it for peace of mind

• Like 1

I would prebook with Crescencio(Black Hat) for sure.  We were there last week.  We recommended Punta Sur to some people we met.  They got a taxi at the pier.  We were surprised because they were not happy with the beach.  They showed us their photos.  The taxi driver did not take them the entire way to Punta Sur, but dropped them at a small beach instead.  The road is long and bumpy so he probably didn't want to drive the whole way.  He also said he would be back at a certain time and was very late.  They were panicking because they had no cell phones to call anyone.  It's a long walk to the entrance if you get stranded.

I highly recommend Crescencio.  He will take you to the amazing beach at Punta Sur and stay with you for the day.  This is the best option.  You can decide when you'd like to leave and he will be there to accommodate your schedule.

We were there on a land vacation last year and my sister's family was involved in a car accident.  They were not seriously injured, but it would have been a mess if they had been driving a rental car.  We travel extensively and rent cars almost everywhere we travel.  However, we have heard many stories of people slamming on their brakes, purposefully trying to be hit by tourists with rental cars.  Maybe sometime we will rent a car, but for now, we prefer Crescencio.  

• Like 1