Flight Costs from US to SYD

pl281

I'm in South Florida and looking into a December 2020 Cruise out of Sydney. I can't book are for about another 8 months (assuming I do this)

In looking at fairs for this year i'm seeing 12k+ for business (where available) but in the 6k-8k range for flights in april/may (furthest out you can book right now) 

I was wondering what others have seen booking as soon as the flights open for business class.

Thanks

Booking as soon as flights open is not something that will assure you that you will see the cheapest fares. In fact, on many airlines you can be reasonably assured that you will not see the cheapest fares if you book at that time.

I don't know any details about the Florida to Australia market; but as a generality, for reasons that are not difficult to understand it's often much cheaper to travel to Australia during the winter than it is to travel not only during summer but during the time when people travel there for Christmas/New Year. That could be one reason why you are seeing such low fares for April/May; from the UK, the cheapest travel period to Australia is usually for outbound travel during a period from about mid-April to late June.

• Like 1

If you are not pressed for time, look at round-the-world (RTW) fares. 

Usually fabulous value!

As the name suggests, you start at some point and fly in one direction around the world. Minimum 3 stops.

All the big alliances have this in their programs. 

Google star alliance or one world alliance RTW .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pl281 said:

I'm in South Florida and looking into a December 2020 Cruise out of Sydney. I can't book are for about another 8 months (assuming I do this)

In looking at fairs for this year i'm seeing 12k+ for business (where available) but in the 6k-8k range for flights in april/may (furthest out you can book right now) 

I was wondering what others have seen booking as soon as the flights open for business class.

Thanks

Have a look at Business Class fares on the Air Canada site.  May be able to get a round trip for about 6800 USD.  There will probably be a long layover in Toronto on return but Business Class may provide accommodation for the night.

• Like 1

Globaliser - We are a family of 5 and doing business class so if we don't do the flights early we run risk of there not being seats

I know that December/January is when it's summer there and it's holiday season - We are doing this time because it's school break. As business class is sold out on most flights for THIS year, I just was checking for the furthest out - but figured I'd ask on the board to see what others got

Buchhalm - Unfortunately due to this being around school holiday time we are pressed for time so around the world flights won't really work

d9704011 - Right now Air Canada was the best pricing (even for this year) the only concern is Toronto and Vancouver in December/January and if the airports have any weather issues

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pl281 said:

d9704011 - Right now Air Canada was the best pricing (even for this year) the only concern is Toronto and Vancouver in December/January and if the airports have any weather issues

I suppose that could happen but I think it’s unlikely.  I’ve traveled extensively in Canada over the winter and have seldom had significant issues, particularly in Toronto and Vancouver.

• Like 1

The last two times that we have come back from Australia we flew Jetstar (owned by Qantas) from Sydney to HNL.   The flights were code share with Qantas.     Had two nights in HNL and then flew home.  What we saved in airfare paid for our stopover in HNL.  It was a good way to break up a long flight.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We're going this December sailing AUK to SYD.  I booked the flights as soon as they were available using Princess Cruise E-Z Air program.  They really have great pricing and they have flexible fares so one can re-book the the fares go down.  We're flying San Diego to Auckland, then Sydney to LAX, business for about $9600 for the 2 of us.  The fares for people booking flights now for this cruise are much higher.

• Like 1

I stalked booking sites, airlines and other resources for months. I found the fares did not go up significantly, and may drop a bit closer to travel, when few scattered seats, or crummy schedules are all that remain. We booked as soon as they opened for MCO to SYD. (We are returnng from HI). We are sailing Celebrity, but their air program was higher than other options. We ended up booking through a travel agency that partners with an agency that books air only. They offer standard, consolidator and cruise fares. Our one-way business, cruise air fare was $4075 pp, one way on Quantas.