Evening Chic in Blu

KJMommy04

We will be sailing in the Med in a couple of weeks, and for the first time, will be in an Aqua Class cabin. Also for the first time, my husband is trying to convince me to leave our formal attire at home. We have always done formal nights to the full extent. If we are not in formal attire in Blu, will we feel out of place? My husband would be in khakis and a collared shirt, and I would wear a more casual dress. Would love opinions from those experienced Aqua Class cruisers. 

Edited by KJMommy04

Historically Blu was always smart casual. Recently it has changed to Celebrity Chic dress codes. Although it's no longer 'formal' people in Blu do make an effort. 

If youre sailing in Europe or Asia even more so. 

He he will be ok with the attire you mention though. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJMommy04 said:

We will be sailing in the Med in a couple of weeks, and for the first time, will be in an Aqua Class cabin. Also for the first time, my husband is trying to convince me to leave our formal attire at home. We have always done formal nights to the full extent. If we are not in formal attire in Blu, will we feel out of place? My husband would be in khakis and a collared shirt, and I would wear a more casual dress. Would love opinions from those experienced Aqua Class cruisers. 

Most people who dine in blu dress as recommended by celebrity for chic night.  Suggest you consider doing the same

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Most people who dine in blu dress as recommended by celebrity for chic night.  Suggest you consider doing the same

I am aware of Celebrity's recommendations, but their recommendations for chic night leave a wide range of possibilities. The clothing I mentioned falls within those recommendations. My question is meant to hear experiences of those who have dined in Blu and can tell me what they have observed people wearing on chic night. People's experiences hold more weight to me than Celebrity's website. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Historically Blu was always smart casual. Recently it has changed to Celebrity Chic dress codes. Although it's no longer 'formal' people in Blu do make an effort. 

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, KJMommy04 said:

I am aware of Celebrity's recommendations, but their recommendations for chic night leave a wide range of possibilities. The clothing I mentioned falls within those recommendations. My question is meant to hear experiences of those who have dined in Blu and can tell me what they have observed people wearing on chic night. People's experiences hold more weight to me than Celebrity's website. 

Most   in BLU ,  but not all,  will be above  smart casual on chic night,,. esp in Europe. I'd save khakis and casual dress  for the other casual nights.

But dh  can wear a nice  sleeved   shirt and  dress pants...no jacket/ tie,  and you can do a nice chic knit  dress or top with pants., maybe a bit of  bling and sparkle.  We do it up nicer for chic night.

The ship overall will have variety but  Chic night is   just a bit  more special but no way formal

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

Have done 5 cruises in Aqua class because my husband hates “dressing up” for formal (chic) night and Blu does not require it. Although there are a reasonable number of people who do go full on we have always been smart casual with no problem. Cruises have been Asia, Aust/NZ, Middle East & Sth America/Antarctica.

Edited by Nakirk
  • Like 2

My husband and I cruise Aqua regularly. We don’t bring formal attire. On Chic nights in blu  we will wear a nice pair of pants with a button up shirt. Sometimes a tie. Sometimes not. We’ve never had an issue. On smart casual nights, a nice pair of jeans will also do. We always wear a collared shirt regardless. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

Wear whatever makes you happy (within the described dress code) and you will be fine.

The mixture of attire worn in Blu can vary not only from night to night but even from hour to hour on the same night.

So when you arrive there may be only a few (or there may be many) people in Blu who are very dressed up, and by the time you finish your dinner the mix may be the opposite way around.  It is nothing to be concerned about, either way.

You definitely should not feel out of place in the slightest if you are not in formal attire as those who wear true formal attire on Celebrity ships these days are a small minority, and they really stand out. 

Even the men who arrive in Blu (or Luminae) wearing a jacket and tie will often take them off, putting the jackets on the back of their chairs during dinner.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

Perfect for no matter where you dine and IAW Celebrity's published evening dress guidelines for the MDR. Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

You will be fine...Happy Sailing! ☺️

• Like 1

We don't dress up for formal nights anymore. My husband hates wearing a suit on vacation. He will wear slacks and a button down and I'll do anything from a dress to a pair of slacks and a top. We have seen other cruisers in both jeans and formal gowns. Wear what you are comfortable in within the guidelines. It is your vacation. Enjoy!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mynki said:

Just to clarify, Blu is still Smart casual every night it has not changed. People will dress up on European cruises but may not on other cruises such as Alaska. Technically, Evening Chic does not apply to Blu

Here's a link to the Celebrity web site which clearly shows dress code in Blu is smart casual.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/blu

Edited by dkjretired

25 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Just to clarify, Blu is still Smart casual every night it has not changed. People will dress up on European cruises but may not on other cruises such as Alaska. Technically, Evening Chic does not apply to Blu

Here's a link to the Celebrity web site which clearly shows dress code in Blu is smart casual.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/blu

So on Silhouette last month why did it state 'Cekebrity Chic night' on the board with the menu outside Blu? 

The Blu maitre 'd also confirmed the change when I queried this.  

We all know how up to date the website is... 😄

Not to stir the pot but really, Blu, and in fact all Celebrity dining venues, on Evening Chic night do not require men to wear anything different from every other night, ie shorts are not allowed.  On Evening Chic night men will be allowed in any dining venue in nice jeans or khakis with a golf, polo or Tommy Bahama style shirt.  Of course, they will not feel out of place if they want to wear anything dressier from a button down shirt, a tie, a coat, a suit or a tux.  Women may dress up as much as they want to.

I'm not going to get into the discussion/bemoaning of the decline of modern society vis a vis dress codes.  Just the facts. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

Most men will be wearing either dark color slacks or dressy jeans with a long sleeved button up shirt,  you'll also see a few men in nice black tees w/a sports coat.  There will be a very small smattering of tuxes, suits, khakis & golf shirts.  

Technically, you're both fine with what you plan on wearing, have a great trip :)

Edited by cruise kitty

8 hours ago, Mynki said:

So on Silhouette last month why did it state 'Cekebrity Chic night' on the board with the menu outside Blu? 

We all know how up to date the website is... 😄

They would be violating Celebrity's written policy and years of being smart casual.   Individual ships in the past have been know to go rogue.  

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

They would be violating Celebrity's written policy and years of being smart casual.   Individual ships in the past have been know to go rogue.  

That's one possibility. Or they've not updated the website?

I made a Uk booking for Aqua Class just last week. During the booking I came across a webpage that stated daily bottled water was included in aqua too. We both know this stopped some time ago. 

Maybe Silhouette has gone rogue? Maybe those currently in Blu on other ships could post a picture of what the menu board states on Chic night?

Edited by Mynki

10 hours ago, Mynki said:

So on Silhouette last month why did it state 'Celebrity Chic night' on the board with the menu outside Blu? 

You are correct.  The type of dress  appeared nightly at the entrance to Blu, i.e. Evening Chic, Smart Casual.  

On the Silhouette in Alaska, men were requested to wear long sleeve dress shirts in Blu.

While officially evening chic might not apply to blu or to the specialty restaurants, many people still do dress- not evening gowns, but they do dress up compared to other evenings.  Other evenings a collared shirt for men and khakis is perfect for men.  For chic nights, many add jackets and some ties.  Ladies dress up a bit more.

I am not the "fashion police" but just stating my observations.

44 minutes ago, keesar said:

You are correct.  The type of dress  appeared nightly at the entrance to Blu, i.e. Evening Chic, Smart Casual.  

On the Silhouette in Alaska, men were requested to wear long sleeve dress shirts in Blu.

I would be very surprised if they changed the dress code in Blu.   Going back many years, one reason that many people booked AQ was so they did not have to dress up in the dining room.  That is probably not so much an issue since the two dress codes are basically the same but who knows.   By the way dress code changes are usually made pretty quick on the US web site but they are horrible on the UK site.  They took five years when they changed the dress code from the previous three dress codes to the two.    As far as wearing long sleeve shirts, that is definitely a ship going rogue. 

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I would be very surprised if they changed the dress code in Blu.   Going back many years, one reason that many people booked AQ was so they did not have to dress up in the dining room.  That is probably not so much an issue since the two dress codes are basically the same but who knows.   By the way dress code changes are usually made pretty quick on the US web site but they are horrible on the UK site.  They took five years when they changed the dress code from the previous three dress codes to the two.    As far as wearing long sleeve shirts, that is definitely a ship going rogue. 

I had brought only one long sleeve dress shirt to Alaska.  Then when I saw the dress code in the Celebrity Today calling for long sleeves for men in the dining venues,  I was really surprised.  I wore short sleeve golfing style shirts to Blu and nothing was said to me.  However, I was in the minority.  

On a previous cruise on Solstice in the Caribbean, it was Evening Chic night.  If a male entered Murano without a jacket, someone would come over and place a sport jacket over the back of your chair. We had a good laugh about that when we saw the expressions on people's faces...

8 minutes ago, keesar said:

I had brought only one long sleeve dress shirt to Alaska.  Then when I saw the dress code in the Celebrity Today calling for long sleeves for men in the dining venues,  I was really surprised.  I wore short sleeve golfing style shirts to Blu and nothing was said to me.  However, I was in the minority.  

On a previous cruise on Solstice in the Caribbean, it was Evening Chic night.  If a male entered Murano without a jacket, someone would come over and place a sport jacket over the back of your chair. We had a good laugh about that when we saw the expressions on people's faces...

Seems Celebrity needs to do some training with their staff.  I don't care what their rules are, I'll prepare for whatever they call for but they should not tell people to wear things that they did not pack for based on their written rules.  Perfect example over the last couple of years is cruises over 10 days or so having 3 Evening Chic nights even though the web site clearly states the maximum number of EC nights is two.  Celebrity continues to be consistently inconsistent. 

4 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Seems Celebrity needs to do some training with their staff.  I don't care what their rules are, I'll prepare for whatever they call for but they should not tell people to wear things that they did not pack for based on their written rules.  Perfect example over the last couple of years is cruises over 10 days or so having 3 Evening Chic nights even though the web site clearly states the maximum number of EC nights is two.  Celebrity continues to be consistently inconsistent. 

Agree. 

i don't think that you have to wear formal - smart casual is OK.  Taking extra clothes for one or two nights seems to be much.  Airline weight restrictions might dissuade you once you see what your luggage weighs  If you don't use it often enough then it isn't worth it (especially if you have to leave the everyday clothes out)