Fort Lauderdale -- Holiday Inn Express vs Crowne Plaza

Paula_MacFan

For those of you familiar with pre-cruise Fort Lauderdale, can you advise which hotel would be a better choice:  Crowne Plaza @ 455 State Road 84, or Holiday Inn Express @ 1500 SE 17th St Causeway.  We are IHG Spire members so either hotel will be free using points.  I realize the HIE is a more 'no frills' type place vs the Crowne Plaza, but all we require is a clean bed to sleep in pre-cruise, and a shuttle from the airport, which both appear to offer.  

If anyone has any opinions on either property, I'd appreciate it.  I already read reviews on Tripadvisor, but am asking here more from a cruiser's perspective.  

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn 17th Street and enjoyed it. Location is much better than the Crowne Plaza in terms of restaurants and shops. After dark you do not want to venture far from the Crowne Plaza on foot.  

Good to know -- thanks for the info!

I have stayed at both.  I have to agree that HIE is a more convenient location for walking to restaurants etc.  There is also a Publix store close by if you want to pickup wine or last minute things.  HIE also has the breakfast included.  Both are very close to the port and less than a $10 taxi or Uber/Lyft ride.  I have HIE booked for my next FLL cruise.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I have stayed at both.  I have to agree that HIE is a more convenient location for walking to restaurants etc.  There is also a Publix store close by if you want to pickup wine or last minute things.  HIE also has the breakfast included.  Both are very close to the port and less than a $10 taxi or Uber/Lyft ride.  I have HIE booked for my next FLL cruise.

Thanks for your feedback.  I have the HIE booked and think I will stick with it.  Probably will hit the Publix store prior to boarding -- thanks for the info!

On second thought it's not a Publix (that was in Miami Blue Lagoon).  I believe it's Winn Dixie.  We ate good seafood at Kelly's landing and it was right across the street from that.

Edited by wrk2cruise

• 3 weeks later...

HIE express is closer to stores, dining etc., definitely a better location.  Once they have a pool we would choose it over Crowne Plaza because of location.

Have stayed at Crowne Plaza a couple times - it's fine but nothing special.  Have walked back to it from dining/shopping after dark - it's not a problem.

Both are a short cheap uber ride to port.

Edited by bouhunter

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, SteerageJoe said:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn 17th Street and enjoyed it. Location is much better than the Crowne Plaza in terms of restaurants and shops. After dark you do not want to venture far from the Crowne Plaza on foot.  

Same is true of the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro (Los Angeles)

On 7/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, bouhunter said:

Have stayed at Crowne Plaza a couple times - it's fine but nothing special.  Have walked back to it from dining/shopping after dark - it's not a problem.

agree,  not really bad, all major roads with lights.

Walk is quite a bit further from Publix, maybe a mile.