Why are some balcony cabins unavailable for a family of 3?

rainysundays

We are booked on the Freedom for the July 4, 2020 sailing.  Our cabin is on deck 10 (Panorama) but we would prefer to be on deck 9, the Lido deck.  There are plenty of cabins still available on the Lido but they are not available to us as we are a party of three: my husband, our eleven-year-old daughter, and me.

it looks like all of these cabins have similar set ups with sofas.  Why are some balcony cabins not available for three people while the exact same balcony cabin on another deck is available to us?

i plan to call Carnival but thought I’d get input here first.  I do know that some cabins have different layouts but it says that all have three closets and a sofa.  Do some sofas not become twin beds?

thanks in advance for your help!

10 minutes ago, rainysundays said:

We are booked on the Freedom for the July 4, 2020 sailing.  Our cabin is on deck 10 (Panorama) but we would prefer to be on deck 9, the Lido deck.  There are plenty of cabins still available on the Lido but they are not available to us as we are a party of three: my husband, our eleven-year-old daughter, and me.

it looks like all of these cabins have similar set ups with sofas.  Why are some balcony cabins not available for three people while the exact same balcony cabin on another deck is available to us?

i plan to call Carnival but thought I’d get input here first.  I do know that some cabins have different layouts but it says that all have three closets and a sofa.  Do some sofas not become twin beds?

Being this far out and no occupancy restriction, there are two possible reasons:

1- The sofas in the cabins that house two guests are unable to convert to a bed

2- Carnival is not displaying them as available, so you must call Carnival directly. They do this all the time, only showing ten cabins at a time even though there could be over 20 available!

18 minutes ago, rainysundays said:

Are you certain they are the "exact same balcony cabin on another deck"?  Looking at the Freedom's deck plans on the Carnival website, the balcony cabins on Deck 10 and 9 have a mixture of "Max 2 guests", "Max 3 guests", and "Max 4 guests".  You can hover your mouse over any cabin to see what the maximum number of guests it can be sold to.  This far out, I don't think Carnival will let 3 people book into a "Max 4 guests" cabin since they may be able to sell it to 4 people.

We are a family of 5 and have tried in the past to get 2 cabins that we wanted next to each other. Only specific cabins are for 3 and 4 persons. If a 2 that we wanted was next to a 4 they would not put 3 people in it. (At least that’s what we were told.) I’m sure it has a lot to do with being able to fill the ship/occupancy issues. 

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Being this far out and no occupancy restriction, there are two possible reasons:

1- The sofas in the cabins that house two guests are unable to convert to a bed

2- Carnival is not displaying them as available, so you must call Carnival directly. They do this all the time, only showing ten cabins at a time even though there could be over 20 available!

Every cabin on a ship has a designated maximum occupancy capacity. So while two cabins with a sofa may look exactly the same, one may be designated for two passengers maximum while the other cabin may have a three person maximum capacity. You can look at ship deck plans online and it will tell you the maximum capacity for every cabin on the ship. 

I asked my agent the same question....it's because each section is set up for a certain amount of people to fit in the life boats assigned to that area..so some may be allowed to have three but some only two. To reach correct number for each Muster station.

When my CUBA cruise was cancelled we wanted to switch to an Obstructed Balcony on a different sailing. We were told we wanted was for 3 people & we were only 2 so we couldn't book it. I got my refund and turned around and immediately made a new reservation for the same cabin we tried to switch to.🤔