Long Beach Related Questions? Ask Here!

On 7/13/2019 at 7:35 AM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I got an Inspiration cruise booked, and I'm staying at Queen Mary the night before. How long is the walk between the two, and can I just walk over?  Or do I need a shuttle of some sort, because of port security or somesuch?

10 hours ago, GenoMart said:

Again - thanks for taking the time to assist Carnival "sailors"!!  We will be sailing on August 24th and arriving with our Motorhome (towing a Jeep).  Total length is about 42 feet.  Is there a "surface" lot at the terminal where we will be able to park ?  Thanks again!!

In this Google Map image you can see the QM and the 1132 Queens Highway open parking lot.

So for Landlocked, you can see how close they are. For Geno, I don't know the rates or rules for 1132-1144 Queens Highway parking lot, but it is there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, debnrick said:

If choosing to walk the mile from the Residence Inn to the cruise terminal, is there a “safe” path/sidewalk or are you walking along the road?

There is a sidewalk, but cutting through the DoubeTree (Hotel Maya) parking lot is probably shorter.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, AgentMinusOne said:

It might take you longer to walk from your room on the Queen Mary to their front desk than walking from their entrance to the cruise terminal!

Sometimes I have seen bell boys at the QM taking people’s luggage from the hotel to the terminal garage which is slightly further away. In case you want to check your luggage in, you do that with the porters who are located at the parking structure.

4C5A82A9-4714-4362-A50C-CBDDD7178F21.jpeg

What about transportation to the San PedroCruise terminal from the QM?

On 6/17/2019 at 6:40 PM, AgentMinusOne said:

As it is now, the situation on Saturdays is already unbearable. I feel for the employees of the guard company who work in and around the structure.

Heard on another thread in this forum that at least twice in the last month (the June 29 and July 27 cruises) that the QM rents out the parking structure for weekend events and they don't let the week long cruisers park there, forcing them to go off site.  Do you know if there's any way to find out when the QM is going to do this?

2 hours ago, katstoy said:

Heard on another thread in this forum that at least twice in the last month (the June 29 and July 27 cruises) that the QM rents out the parking structure for weekend events and they don't let the week long cruisers park there, forcing them to go off site.  Do you know if there's any way to find out when the QM is going to do this?

Call the QM and ask them.

Hi AgentMinusOne,

I was working as a port supervisor for RCI and other cruise line in Spain. 😉

I'm planning to sail on board Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach to Singapore before she will go to the dry dock next Oct.

Do you know how easy / difficult Los Angeles airport is as an entry point for Europeans (customs, etc.)? 

My travel agent offers free pre hotel (Crowne Plaza San Pedro) how much a taxi costs from the hotel to the port? What will be the best time for check-in for Carnival Splendor?

Thanks for your help!

What's the best way to get from LAX to a Long Beach hotel for a stay the night before our cruise?  We'll be sailing Panorama 5/23/20.  First time leaving from the west coast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:12 PM, GenoMart said:

Again - thanks for taking the time to assist Carnival "sailors"!!  We will be sailing on August 24th and arriving with our Motorhome (towing a Jeep).  Total length is about 42 feet.  Is there a "surface" lot at the terminal where we will be able to park ?  Thanks again!!

Yes, there's an open lot next to the garage where RVs can park.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:59 AM, lrc04 said:

What's the best way to get from LAX to a Long Beach hotel for a stay the night before our cruise?  We'll be sailing Panorama 5/23/20.  First time leaving from the west coast.

Best or cheapest? Just two people?

If you are patient and can tolerate delays, SuperShuttle shared van is inexpensive.

Personally, I'd use Uber.

My next choice would be a private van like Zippy or Karmel.

• Like 1

Can you tell where if there is a store close where I can buy canned soda and a bottle of wine? We plan to eat at the pier area where the small boats are docked if you know of somewhere close to that area. Thanks.

Edited by gubba23
Misspelling

On 8/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, gubba23 said:

Can you tell where if there is a store close where I can buy canned soda and a bottle of wine? We plan to eat at the pier area where the small boats are docked if you know of somewhere close to that area. Thanks.

Which "pier" area?

My wife and I require transport after our cruise september 2019. We arrive in Long Beach at 9.00 a.m and require transportation to LAX asap. Should we organise with a cab company prior to the cruise or is there always enough cabs onsite. We are hoping to disembark as quickly as possible. What is the best form of transport to get to LAX and at what cost? any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks

We are cruising on the inspiration in September on a Monday and have booked the Queen Mary for Sunday night. Can we park at the cruise parking structure or do we have to park at the hotel parking Queen Mary and than move the car to the structure Monday morning? I do realize there may not be parking at the cruise structure due to cruises being out but if not just wondering if we have to exit and than come back in for the cruise parking Monday morning. I know I can call the Queen Mary but thought I would ask experts here first. Thank you.

Edited by granmarl
adding Monday morning

• 4 months later...

Hi again, guys and gals. Sorry for my absence for such a long time, been away looking for a side hustle to complement the minimum wage check-in agent gig at the LB terminal. So far no luck. Well, that'll be enough self-pity for now. Looks like people on this sub-forum are very helpful and available to help anyway 🤗

So passed the Singapore departure with Splendor that was a total catastrophe due to us being told to collect everybody's passports on the spot, and the long-awaited Panorama has finally arrived. No journey cruises for us in 2020, sadly. Miracle appears to be now sailing half a year from San Diego and half a year from San Francisco.

During fall, Carnival went to the Long Beach City Council and finally got the permission to expand the parking structure with some 650 spots at ends of the structure. They have started the work already, and poor Imagination passengers on Thursdays and Sundays are shuttled from the Long Beach Arena/Convention Center parking lot to the terminal. No on-site parking available to cater for all the 5k Panoramians. No word as to when the work will be finished.

Too little, too late, I suppose, but earlier someone was requesting where to buy wine/soda for a cruise departing from Long Beach. Nothing close to the terminal, I am afraid. Copy-pasteing here a slightly edited Google Maps map:

dtlb_w-symbols.jpg.e97e6f47219ad6ca49247d5cf8d50a43.jpg

Vons at Broadway and Atlantic Ave is the red square, Rite Aid the blue circle at 6th and Pine. Let me know if you can think of any more convenient locations or shops when coming to the terminal. Rite Aid prices probably higher anyway, and Vons has got a parking deck above the store.

1 hour ago, candigirl41 said:

How much is the parking per day at the Long Beach port?  I am handicapped so I want to be as close to the ship as possible.

Thanks

Candi

The parking rate was apparently recently increased to a whopping $23/day 😪

At the moment, though, while the parking structure is being expanded, Imagination passengers (Thursdays and Sundays) are directed to park at Long Beach Arena/Convention Center parking lot. Parking there is cheaper, but the lot is open to the elements. Passengers are taken to the terminal by shuttles since it is a couple of miles away.

Hey there!!! 

My husband and I will be sailing on the Panorama in July 2020. Best airfare is flying into LAX. I thought about renting a car at the airport...is there a place near cruise port to return rentals?? Or any specific agencies nearby that I might should use?? Or would you advise against renting a car at all?? I visited the area 30 years ago but remember nothing.lol I am, however, comfortable driving in unfamiliar places.

Additionally, if it were you flying into LA and cruising out of LB; what are would you choose to stay in? Hollywood? Santa Monica??? Typically I would stay near port and drive to sights but thinking this might not be the way to go this time.

Previous posts here have mentioned the chaos at the terminal on Saturday departures. Is this mostly related to parking? Or everything? I like to arrive at the port kinda early (11ish), but. Not if things settle down at a later time??!

Thank you in advance for your help. I know 1st hand how taxing all the questions can be at times.

Lesley in Arkansas 

On 8/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, scottca075 said:

Best or cheapest? Just two people?

If you are patient and can tolerate delays, SuperShuttle shared van is inexpensive.

Personally, I'd use Uber.

My next choice would be a private van like Zippy or Karmel.

Super shuttle is no longer in business as of 12/31!