Ever have awful Table mates?

9 hours ago, XBGuy said:

OK. I am, again, going to offer a contrary opinion.

We visited Montreal once for five nights in 2007.  Yes, quite a bit of French is spoken in Montreal.  There are quite a few individuals who speak only French.

Not once were we treated to any rudeness or discourtesy.  We spent a fair amount of time shopping in grocery stores.  We did make a point of opening every conversation or question with "Bon Jour" in a grocery store or "Bon Soir" in a restaurant.  That would get us off to a good start.  Other than "Chateauneuf du Pape," that is about the limit of our French language knowledge.  When it became obvious that we spoke only English, the person would either speak English to us, or, if he/she spoke only French, would get an English-speaking colleague to help us out.

We did learn that Canadian Bacon is unknown in Canada--at least by that name.  When we asked for that, we received some very quizzical looks.  So, we found a substitute.  I have since learned that what we in the United States call Canadian Bacon is called something else in Canada.  If I ever go back and know I'll have to look for Canadian Bacon, I will learn the correct name.  Mrs. XBGuy is Facebook friends with the person (yes, an immigrant from Canada) who shared that tidbit.  So, we still have that resource.

Only french I've ever needed is "acceptez vous credit card?"  😀😀

By the way, unless imported I would think all bacon in Canada is Canadian bacon!  🤣

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Only french I've ever needed is "acceptez vous credit card?"  😀😀

By the way, unless imported I would think all bacon in Canada is Canadian bacon!  🤣

If you were any more abrupt, you would be rasher.😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That and seen too many people use a bathroom (stalls and cubicles) and walking straight out.☠️

I call out to them, "Did you forget something?"  They ALWAYS turn back to see what they forgot and then after a second can't figure it out, and I say, "Wash your hands."  Yes, it's salty and shaming, but for a good reason and I carry pride rather than guilt about it.  They can't hurt me with their dirty looks. 

On washing hands, our last cruise proved to me that it doesn't matter what cruise line you are on, some people just do not get it and/or care.
We did many Carnival cruises because we were taking our kids and when I saw someone not wash, I just shook my head and thought it was a Carnival thing. Then my DW and I did several all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica and same thing. This past January on Celebrity it was just as bad.

*General Sidebar*
Why have automatic soap but one of those 50's era push button faucets?  Or even better a towel roll that is hanging on the floor sopping wet from being reused over and over.

*Oh boy hears another one. ADD is strong with this one*
Speaking of 50's era. Years ago we took our kids to Disney and had lunch at the 50's Cafe. Very fun. The staff treats you like a long lost cousin and our waitress was very skilled with a quick wit and tongue. At one point I got up to go to the bathroom and when I came back she was waiting for me at the table. "And where did you go without asking to be excused from the table?" She basically yelled for everyone else to hear. I told her the bathroom and she said, "Oh really! And what color was the soap???" I said, "white and green striped." She smiled, gave me a wink and walked off.

Some day I'll share my wife's green bean story at the same place.

7 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Speaking of 50's era. Years ago we took our kids to Disney and had lunch at the 50's Cafe. Very fun. The staff treats you like a long lost cousin and our waitress was very skilled with a quick wit and tongue. At one point I got up to go to the bathroom and when I came back she was waiting for me at the table. "And where did you go without asking to be excused from the table?" She basically yelled for everyone else to hear. I told her the bathroom and she said, "Oh really! And what color was the soap???" I said, "white and green striped." She smiled, gave me a wink and walked off.

Some day I'll share my wife's green bean story at the same place.

They do this same schtick over and ever every day, and have for the over 25 years that restaurant has been open.  Green beans and all.  We stopped going there years ago because it got really repetitive. 

11 minutes ago, ducklite said:

They do this same schtick over and ever every day, and have for the over 25 years that restaurant has been open.  Green beans and all.  We stopped going there years ago because it got really repetitive. 

LOL, I believe you! We actually went back a few years later and it was very tame. Not at all the same experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

I call out to them, "Did you forget something?"  They ALWAYS turn back to see what they forgot and then after a second can't figure it out, and I say, "Wash your hands."  Yes, it's salty and shaming, but for a good reason and I carry pride rather than guilt about it.  They can't hurt me with their dirty looks. 

Have you cleaned your keyboard recently?   

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I wipe my keyboard and phone down daily.  I remove the Otter Box from my phone and actually scrub it once a week.  

I do not, however, use antibacterial hand soap, and only use the gel when I'm in a situation with no facilities to adequately wash my hands on a regular basis throughout the day.  

All the women in my department were called together and told to never touch the men who were visiting from Saudi Arabia.  Not sure if the reverse was OK.

And I also seem to remember that in Thailand we were warned to never touch the robes of the monks you'd see on the streets.  Vaguely remember that the monk would have to burn his robe if we touched them.   I may be having a senior moment on that one so take it with a grain of salt.

The only really rude encounter I ever had was in a department store in Paris.  I asked in English where the restroom was.  I called it the bathroom.  Two clerks started saying "baaaathrooooom" over and over again.

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

It really is hard to believe, though I know it is true, that people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Isn't that one of the first things taught to you by your parents?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It really is hard to believe, though I know it is true, that people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Isn't that one of the first things taught to you by your parents?

I was taught not to pee on my hands. 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Isn't that one of the first things taught to you by your parents?

Sadly few do. My wife just celebrated 24 years of doing daycare in our home, I help as much as I can because I also work out of the house. Parenting is a topic that we speak of often and rarely is it how good the parents are. Sadly it has been a few years
since we have had parents with what we would call good parenting skills.
I could go on, but I won't. It is rather depressing.

8 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Sadly few do. My wife just celebrated 24 years of doing daycare in our home, I help as much as I can because I also work out of the house. Parenting is a topic that we speak of often and rarely is it how good the parents are. Sadly it has been a few years
since we have had parents with what we would call good parenting skills.
I could go on, but I won't. It is rather depressing.

Yes, that is depressing.

I spent a five year term on my local school board (1996-2001), and remember speaking to a teacher once on the value of the parent/teacher conferences, Her reply was "all the wrong parents show up.". I did not take that as a comment on those that showed up, rather that the ones who really needed to show up did not.

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

So do you hang out at the restrooms on the ship?

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

every afternoon when I get to work!!!  I also clean the mouse and the entire phone (handset and keypad) at work.  

The one thing that I always wonder about:  how did those of us in our 60s+ survive all those years when there was no hand sanitizer, when we played in the dirt and ate our lunches right after, how we played with those same kickballs that we used on the dirt playing field and never cleaned/sanitized them, how we camped out and only had water for drinking sometimes...  

37 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

So do you hang out at the restrooms on the ship?

It's not just on a ship.  It's in a store, a restaurant, an airport, or anywhere else that I might need to use a public restroom.  Because I take the time to thoroughly wash my hands after using the toilet, it's pretty easy to notice the people who walk out of the stall and straight out the door.  They should be fined or better yet arrested for spreading disease.  There is no excuse.

28 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

every afternoon when I get to work!!!  I also clean the mouse and the entire phone (handset and keypad) at work.  

The one thing that I always wonder about:  how did those of us in our 60s+ survive all those years when there was no hand sanitizer, when we played in the dirt and ate our lunches right after, how we played with those same kickballs that we used on the dirt playing field and never cleaned/sanitized them, how we camped out and only had water for drinking sometimes...  

Because we were properly trained to wash our hands after using the toilet, so we weren't carrying (as many) fecal germs to begin with.  BTW--We were absolutely required to scrub our hands prior to meals.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

One of the things that my parents taught me was not to stare at other men in public toilets.  Whether you wash your hands or not is none of my concern and vice versa.  The unofficial men's room monitor who takes it upon himself to bring it to my attention should expect a short and profane response.  My hands, my business, not yours. 

Edited by K32682

35 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Read an article recently that today's kids aren't getting dirty enough -- maybe not eating enough dirt. LOL.  Among other things the article suggested that families with small children should get a dog.  The more it slobbers the better.  Anyway, the idea was the dirt we used to play in contained beneficial bacteria that strengthened the immune system.   I guess if someone never had a mud pie they don't know what they missed.  haha

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K32682 said:

One of the things that my parents taught me was not to stare at other men in public toilets.  Whether you wash your hands or not is none of my concern and vice versa.  The unofficial men's room monitor who takes it upon himself to bring it to my attention should expect a short and profane response.  My hands, my business, not yours. 

Actually it's everyone's business because that's how Noro and other contagious diseases are spread.  Hopefully your poor lack of hygiene will come back to haunt you unmercifully at some point.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Actually it's everyone's business because that's how Noro and other contagious diseases are spread.  Hopefully your poor lack of hygiene will come back to haunt you unmercifully at some point.

I can't give myself Noro so not washing my hands isn't going to haunt me.  Meanwhile, your habit of stalking patrons in public toilets and rebuking them for not hand washing may come back to haunt you in dramatic fashion.       

33 minutes ago, K32682 said:

You have a lot of expectations for how people should behave.  Now it's about how we want *you* to behave.

• Like 2