Jan 2020-snorkeling in Tortola??

Michelemerlot

I have looked at several sights that have snorkeling tours along with the tours offered by Celebrity cruises.  I am leaning toward a tour that takes you to Virgin Gorda Baths.  A person on one web-sight commented that they had to crouch and almost crawl in that area.  I would like to hear from someone who has done the tour offered by Celebrity.  I realize no one would know the weather and wind conditions that we would be facing the end of January 2020, but I would appreciate any insight they/you could give me.  We are "senior citizens" and are in relatively good shape but this has us worried.  We have all snorkeled before but never here.  Thank you for any help you can give us.      

The attached page from Villas VG has a very brief description of snorkeling the Baths, Savannah Bay, and Mahoe Bay, but it gives you an idea of the snorkeling experience for three of the most popular off-the-shore snorkel spots on Virgin Gorda for day visitors. You can find more details on the VG forum at TripAdvisor or other sites. If you want to visit the Baths for the first time and also snorkel that is one option. Spring Bay, which is adjacent to the Baths is also a popular spot but there are no amenities for day visitors, you would make the short, flat walk back to the Top of the Baths where the taxi drops you.

https://www.villasvirgingorda.com/virgin-gorda-5-great-snorkeling-sites/

For any of these beaches you would ferry to VG on your own, drivers will be waiting at the ferry dock to transport most folks to the Top of the Baths. So it will be quite crowded at the Baths for awhile. Instead of following the crowd, hook-up with a driver to drop you at the snorkel trail at Savannah, or the beach at Mahoe or Spring Bay, and return for you at a set time. You can then hop over to the Baths, If time allows, stop in Spanishtown for a bite, or return to Tortola. You can also rent a car if that makes sense with your time, but the Valley area is small and taxi rides quick and inexpensive (~$5pp each way). Just makes for an enjoyable day with so much more freedom.

For probably the best snorkeling you would want to contact or look at the websites of  Aristocat Charters, Kuralu, or Patouche to see their eastern itinerary. These typically include the Indians, the Dogs, and Norman (Treasure) Island caves...

For good snorkeling on a shorter port day Brewers Bay would be a good choice.

A few past threads from others on snorkeling, there is a wealth of info here if you want to use the Search function as well for more ideas or details on these options...

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, Michelemerlot said:

Many thanks for this information!  I did use the search engine but was not coming up with what you found.  I am happy to have other options to look at.  

Sure. Anymore we are more beach bums than snorkelers so I am sharing info from friends and acquaintances who love snorkeling VG and the nearby islands.

A few more details, Savannah can have a strong current, while Mahoe and Spring Bays are typically calmer. The Baths are unique and worth a visit if time permits even if you decide not to make your way through the boulders. One friend considers Devils Bay one of the top VG snorkel sites from a beach, and you can take the trail from the Top of the Baths to Devils Bay. So if you have time to hit another snorkel spot and then visit the Baths that could be a nice day.  So I shouldn’t discount the Baths and Devils Bay for off the beach snorkeling. The one issue with most VG snorkel fans is how busy these spots are with day visitors...