Clearing Customs in New York

lovetoholiday

We are on the cruise from the UK to Canada and the US.  We arrive in Canada first then travel to New York, so this is our first post of call in the United States. How does it work for clearing customs?  We are due to dock in Manhattan at 6am. 

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get off the ship and through Customs?  We want to get out and about as soon as we can.

If it makes a difference we will be arriving on 25th September.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, lovetoholiday said:

We are on the cruise from the UK to Canada and the US.  We arrive in Canada first then travel to New York, so this is our first post of call in the United States. How does it work for clearing customs?  We are due to dock in Manhattan at 6am. 

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get off the ship and through Customs?  We want to get out and about as soon as we can.

If it makes a difference we will be arriving on 25th September.

Many thanks.

Could be as long as two hours.

Good luck.

I can not find any Trans Atlantic cruises that arrive on Sept 25, 2019. I do see arrivals on the 21st and 28th. Check your dates. In any case your ship will almost certainly arrive at Red Hook in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Clearing Immigration/Customs is not unlike any other U.S. port. Early walk offs will probably begin around 7am/7:30am, followed by those that will pick up their luggage in the terminal. You will be able to select your time. Allow maybe 30/45 minutes to clear the process once your luggage tag is called. While downtown Manhattan is just across the one of the bridges, midtown can take some time. Plan your transportation carefully.

Edited by skynight

If we had any problems on our 2018 New/England cruise it happen at the end of our cruise.  Disembarkation in New York (Red Hook) was not so great.  We encountered delays (over 2 hours getting off the ship) and confusion on picking up our bags in the terminal.   We were told the “stevedores” were on a strike consequently everything slowed down.  “Disorganized” would be a good word to use.  US Customs/Immigration clearance took over 1 hour with very long lines.  Not enough agents to process the people (only 2 customs agents).  So please plan accordingly. 

John

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I can not find any Trans Atlantic cruises that arrive on Sept 25, 2019. I do see arrivals on the 21st and 28th. Check your dates. In any case your ship will almost certainly arrive at Red Hook in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Clearing Immigration/Customs is not unlike any other U.S. port. Early walk offs will probably begin around 7am/7:30am, followed by those that will pick up their luggage in the terminal. You will be able to select your time. Allow maybe 30/45 minutes to clear the process once your luggage tag is called. While downtown Manhattan is just across the one of the bridges, midtown can take some time. Plan your transportation carefully.

OP is on Sapphire Princess R/T Southampton to Canada and New England. With an overnight call at Manhattan September 25-26:

https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=H927

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

As this is an interim call not a turnaround day there will simply be a passport inspection. Customs would only be involved if disembarking. It is possible the inspection will be onboard as is done on the Quebec/New York runs at their first post-border-crossing port. Or onshore in the terminal. Almost certainly those on ship's tours will get first priority to disembark, with those not on ship's tours released when the entire process is completed. A good guesstimate would be two hours after scheduled arrival--if only to be pleased should it turn out to go quicker. 

Edited by fishywood

5 hours ago, fishywood said:

OP is on Sapphire Princess R/T Southampton to Canada and New England. With an overnight call at Manhattan September 25-26:

https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=H927

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

As this is an interim call not a turnaround day there will simply be a passport inspection. Customs would only be involved if disembarking. It is possible the inspection will be onboard as is done on the Quebec/New York runs at their first post-border-crossing port. Or onshore in the terminal. Almost certainly those on ship's tours will get first priority to disembark, with those not on ship's tours released when the entire process is completed. A good guesstimate would be two hours after scheduled arrival--if only to be pleased should it turn out to go quicker. 

Thank you all, yes that is the cruise I am on. 

I'm pleased I asked as I will now need to re-do my plans for the day as we will probably starting out much later than I originally thought.  No ship's tours arranged, just doing it on our own and trying to see as much as possible in the 2 day visit.

Thanks again.

After reading Fishywood's posting it is now clear that New York will be a port of call not a turn around port. I looked up the pier assignments and the Sapphire Princess is scheduled to dock on the Hudson River, Manhattan. This is very close to mid town. There should be a passport immigration check after which you should be ready to go. 

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

After reading Fishywood's posting it is now clear that New York will be a port of call not a turn around port. I looked up the pier assignments and the Sapphire Princess is scheduled to dock on the Hudson River, Manhattan. This is very close to mid town. There should be a passport immigration check after which you should be ready to go. 

I just hope it doesn't take too long.  Our time there is short enough.  I have been a few times before but my friends that I am travelling with have never been so we are hoping to see as much as we can in the short time.

I'm sure whatever we do will just be a taster for them to want to go back and stay longer.