Cruise love at first sight. Book or not to book?

Velvetwater

Accidentally found an amazing cruise while trying to look at a last minute cruise for this year. I was looking at Canada/NE cruises and a few Iceland/Ireland ones too.

By mistake I put in 2020 found a cruise for next  August that has both, is a transatlantic and includes the much desired port of Greenland! We have done a lot of different geographical areas when cruising so finding ones we want to do is getting harder.

I couldn't have planned a better itinerary in regards to places we haven't been to but want to. It's also in the school hols which is a must for us. We only need one flight there as we can get the ferry from Dublin and as we hate flying this is a bonus. It will allow us to have a bit of a break stateside too.

Only problem is it is a bit over budget (around £300ish extra pp than usual) with no extras and an inside cabin when we usually OV it. I realise it is an unusual itinerary on 

a upscale line (Celebrity) on a ship that has had a massive refit. There also the fact it has above average expenditure ports.

We can afford it in physical terms but I am usually such a bargain cruise girl. As we live in the UK we can't just book and cancel. If I cancel the cruise I loose a £300 deposit.

What would you guys do?

This is the cruise:

14 NIGHT ICELAND & GREENLAND CRUISE

02 Aug 2020 
Celebrity Summit

Cape Liberty, New Jersey > Halifax > Sydney > Qaqortoq > Prins Christian Sund (Cruising) > Reykjavik > Reykjavik > Akureyri > Dublin

£1759 per person interior stateroom

Edited by Velvetwater

They can't do that in the UK, different rules.

OP: sounds like the trip of a lifetime BUT, I would suggest you comb the other brands before you put your 300 Sterling down. I put a non-refundable deposit on a 2-cabin, 5-person, back-to-back (10xUS$100) because I was wrongly convinced it was the only route that went to all three of the Dutch Antilles (the ABC islands). Of course it was not AND it was R/T from a very expensive port for us to fly into. So I will save $3600 by forfeiting the $1000 and a lesson well earned!

Holland America has some very interesting Northern Atlantic itineraries...

I'd book it. Unfortunately, though, ports aren't guaranteed. I booked our transatlantic cruise last year on a Princess ship because it was scheduled to go to Norway. The remnants of a hurricane in the North Atlantic caused the captain to divert our ship to a southerly route. We missed Norway, Belfast, and St. John's and went to Vigo and Ponta Delgada instead. We still had a great time, but I'm still looking for a cruise that goes to Norway.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, Velvetwater said:

Accidentally found an amazing cruise while trying to look at a last minute cruise for this year. I was looking at Canada/NE cruises and a few Iceland/Ireland ones too.

By mistake I put in 2020 found a cruise for next  August that has both, is a transatlantic and includes the much desired port of Greenland! We have done a lot of different geographical areas when cruising so finding ones we want to do is getting harder.

I couldn't have planned a better itinerary in regards to places we haven't been to but want to. It's also in the school hols which is a must for us. We only need one flight there as we can get the ferry from Dublin and as we hate flying this is a bonus. It will allow us to have a bit of a break stateside too.

Only problem is it is a bit over budget (around £300ish extra pp than usual) with no extras and an inside cabin when we usually OV it. I realise it is an unusual itinerary on 

a upscale line (Celebrity) on a ship that has had a massive refit. There also the fact it has above average expenditure ports.

We can afford it in physical terms but I am usually such a bargain cruise girl. As we live in the UK we can't just book and cancel. If I cancel the cruise I loose a £300 deposit.

What would you guys do?

This is the cruise:

02 Aug 2020 
Celebrity Summit

Cape Liberty, New Jersey > Halifax > Sydney > Qaqortoq > Prins Christian Sund (Cruising) > Reykjavik > Reykjavik > Akureyri > Dublin

I think ever so often you should pick something extra special, your dream trip and yes I would do an inside cabin if need be.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, Velvetwater said:

Thanks 🙂 

Can us none refundable deposit Brits do that?

Never booked super far in advance so not sure how that works over here.

Maybe take 6 weeks to think it over first? I doubt it would sell out or the price would go up that quickly.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, Velvetwater said:

What would you guys do?

This is the cruise:

02 Aug 2020 
Celebrity Summit

Ask yourself the following question. Which would I regret more going and spending somewhat more than I wanted to, or not going? Then depending on the answer, make your decision.

Reading some of the comments here I get the feeling our American cousins don't totally understand how different the rules are for us Brits. I wish, for example, we could get 'cancel for any reason' insurance which would really help you but I've checked a lot of insurance companies here in the UK and no one seems to offer it.

The question is quite simple; are you willing to lose your deposit for what sounds like a fab trip? Only you can answer that. If it was us, I might be prepared to risk it but DH would say a very definite No.  Have you thought about approaching a travel agent and see if they can offer advice? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, babs135 said:

Reading some of the comments here I get the feeling our American cousins don't totally understand how different the rules are for us Brits. I wish, for example, we could get 'cancel for any reason' insurance which would really help you but I've checked a lot of insurance companies here in the UK and no one seems to offer it.

The question is quite simple; are you willing to lose your deposit for what sounds like a fab trip? Only you can answer that. If it was us, I might be prepared to risk it but DH would say a very definite No.  Have you thought about approaching a travel agent and see if they can offer advice? 

I got it that is why I suggested waiting around  6 weeks to think it over. 

it is not perfect for us either. If we want travel insurance to cover us in all aspects( some insurance will cover you for some but we want for last minute cancellation since my MIL is elderly and still living , medical evacuation, medical insurance if needed  if off US territory, needing to cancel last minute because of Job termination ) we need to buy that within 9 days and that is non refundable although you can transfer it to another trip six months out. But if we pick a less expensive trip then we over bought insurance since the amount we pay is based upon the cost of the trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

OP, what if anything have you decided to do?  We find ourselves in a not unsimilar position and just wondered if you had found a way round it.

Family and friends have just booked a cruise with P&O for February next year so not that far away and suggested we join them. Unfortunately health issues need resolving before we can book anything and whilst we have fingers crossed that all will be well by the end of the year we are not prepared to take the risk of booking.  

It is so frustrating.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:32 PM, geoherb said:

I'd book it. Unfortunately, though, ports aren't guaranteed. I booked our transatlantic cruise last year on a Princess ship because it was scheduled to go to Norway. The remnants of a hurricane in the North Atlantic caused the captain to divert our ship to a southerly route. We missed Norway, Belfast, and St. John's and went to Vigo and Ponta Delgada instead. We still had a great time, but I'm still looking for a cruise that goes to Norway.

June 19, 2020, Carnival Legend, 9 nights, London RT.   Might be what you are looking for?

I looked at the Summit cruise, was intrigued by the Greenland port.  Did a little research and saw that the port is a little village of maybe 3,100 folk.  Most of the sights to see were on hikes or in the wilderness.

The Iceland ports are interesting as well, but we may do a few days stopover in Iceland when pre or post cruise Norway from London and get to see and do more than we could from a quickie port stop..

I've been on the Summit twice in the Caribbean, nice ship.  If I were the OP, and this was on the bucket list, I would book ASAP.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, sfaaa said:

Roll the dice and wait for a better deal. There is no such thing as a must-do cruises.

Of course -cruising is an option, not a “must do”.  But if affordability is of any concern at all, a good deal should not be ignored.  In my experience, unusual and desirable itineraries generally become more expensive as sailing date nears.

”Wait for a better deal” sounds like good advice — but if you ever want to do anything you will always find a time when you should stop waiting and decide.

I went to all those ports last year on RCI Serenade of the Seas, except it started in Copenhagen and ended in Boston. I realize debark in Dublin is the appeal for you, and 2 flights might be your sticking point. Don’t know if costs would outweigh each other. RCI usually has this sailing every year, or very similar. It sells very quickly.

Edited by crzndeb