Calling all jazz cruisers

wwcruisers

So far, jazz cruises have been discussed in the 'Charter music cruises selling out' thread. Well, I thought that it was high time that they had a thread of their own. So, if you are currently booked, thinking about booking, or have done a 'jazz cruise' in the past -- please feel free to chime in. This includes: The Smooth Jazz cruise (my fav), Blue Note at Sea, The Jazz cruise (straight-ahead jazz) -- and, let's not forget the record-holder for the fastest booked-up ship: Dave Koz & Friends.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SD Cruzr said:

Sailed last year on the Rick Braun River Cruise - Ama Waterways on the Danube.  Booked on the 2020 Rick Braun River Cruise in Provence as well.  Excited!!! image.thumb.png.21045ef5ddb8cabfc5e3b6b9f575b0f0.png

LOVE Rick Braun -- he's the main reason that I'm booked on the 2020 Smooth Jazz Cruise (my 3rd)! Haven't really considered 'river cruising' per se -- but this would be a VERY good reason to give it a try! 🤗

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time booked on a Blue Note cruise and I'm so looking forward to it! Gregory Porter, Kirk Whalum, Kamasi Washington! Now because it's my first chartered cruise, I'm not sure if the "dress code" will reflect Celebrity"s usual requirements.  Also, will I be hearing jazz music 24/7???   That'll work for me!!  :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, TuggleRN said:

First time booked on a Blue Note cruise and I'm so looking forward to it! Gregory Porter, Kirk Whalum, Kamasi Washington! Now because it's my first chartered cruise, I'm not sure if the "dress code" will reflect Celebrity"s usual requirements.  Also, will I be hearing jazz music 24/7???   That'll work for me!!  :classic_cool:

Haven't done a Blue Note yet -- but they are put on by the same company that does the Smooth Jazz cruise. This will be our 3rd SJC in a row, and my DH and I are thinking about trying a Blue Note instead, in 2021. Will be very interested in your feedback, Tuggle!

What they have on the SJC's is one evening designated as "dress-up-night' -- when folks do tend to 'bling it up', but with their own personal style (no tuxes or ball gowns -- that I saw, anyway).

• 2 months later...

Hi all. My husband and I would really love to do a blue note jazz cruise but don’t know what to expect. Has anyone done one before and can you describe the kind of jazz venues? Are there extra charges for performers like David Sanborn? And is there a blue note 2021? Thanks

5 hours ago, Purplerock said:

Hi all. My husband and I would really love to do a blue note jazz cruise but don’t know what to expect. Has anyone done one before and can you describe the kind of jazz venues? Are there extra charges for performers like David Sanborn? And is there a blue note 2021? Thanks

Yes Virginia, there WILL be a Blue Note at Sea cruise in 2021! My DH and I have done Smooth Jazz Cruises for the past two years, and are currently booked on the 20.2 SJC. But, looking at the 2021 SJC line up -- we decided that might be the year to switch to the Blue Note at Sea cruise. When we didn't see anything on their website, except for the 2020 sailing information, my DH e-mailed the folks at ECP, and asked when the 2021 Blue Note Line-up would be released. They said that it should be coming out, sometime this November.

Now, if you're not familiar with how this particular company handles its jazz cruise bookings (SJC, Blue Note at Sea, and its classic or "straight ahead' Jazz Cruise) -- they work like this:  Once the line-up & itinerary are set, the folks who are CURRENTLY booked on a jazz cruise get the first crack at the cabins (including the one that they have booked for this year's cruise); Next, the 'past cruisers' -- who are not currently booked on a jazz cruise -- have a shot at booking. After that, they go to their 'pre-booking' line-up (folks who have paid a small deposit to secure their place in the 'booking queue'). Only after all of those people have a chance to book, do they open up the remaining cabins to the general public (via their website).

What we did for our first Smooth Jazz Cruise was to contact the company and get on the 'pre-booking' list. I think the pre-deposit was only $100, and it was completely refundable -- up until time of booking. Do keep in mind that, like most charters, these jazz cruises have non-refundable payments (starting with the deposit), so good trip insurance is a must.

I think that the 2020 Blue Note at Sea cruise still has some available cabins (just Google the website). But, if what you're looking for is 2021, you might want to contact them about getting on the 'pre-book' list. They are very helpful, and can answer all of your questions. Good luck -- and let us know if you decide to book the 2021 Blue Note cruise! 😎

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eagerly awaiting news on the 2021 Blue Note at Sea line-up -- supposed to be released later this month. BTW -- anyone thinking of booking either of the 2021 Smooth Jazz Cruise sailings should move quickly -- as they both appear to be selling-out quickly! And, if anyone out there hears ANY hints as to when Koz will be releasing his 2021 sailing info, PLEASE post it here! 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Heads-up for Jazz Cruisers: Blue Note at Sea 2021 line-up and itinerary is out, today -- just Google it! Looks like current Blue Note cruisers will have first crack at the cabins, starting Monday. The rest of us will need to get on the 'pre-book list'. According to the web page info, we should get a shot at booking, starting in early February. Only after that will any remaining cabins be released to the general public (from what I can tell, anyway).

But -- the big news today is the line up. In addition to Blue Note 'regulars', like Christian McBride, and the legendary David Sanborn, the headliners include Chris Botti and Sheila E (2 of the many folks on my musical 'bucket list')! My prediction is that this one is going to sell out FAST (think: Dave Koz at Sea). So, even though it's 14 months away, my DH and I agreed that it's best to get on that pre-book list now!😎

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, Purplerock said:

We were on the Blue Note last year, our first, & are booked again this year.  It’s amazing.  All music all the time.  Also there are lots of interviews, talks & signings.  You get an itinerary each night before bed telling you who is playing where & when the next day.  The main nightly show is given twice in Celebrity theatre & you are assigned the late or early show for that one.  Otherwise you just go from place to place depending on who you want to see.  There are performances in the grand foyer; & all the lounges.  Late night they turn the main dining room into a lounge where David Sanborn & others play.  There is music from 11am till 3am.  No extra charges for any performance.  

Yes -- and the 2021 Blue Note has an exceptional line-up! I think that the pre-sale queue is still available for a few more days -- for those not already booked on this year's Blue Note cruise.

Sharke -- are you taking advantage of the opportunity to book your same cabin for the '21 cruise? That will be our first Blue Note -- as we are 'jumping ship' from ECP's Smooth Jazz Cruises.😎

Edited by wwcruisers

On 1/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, wwcruisers said:

Yes -- and the 2021 Blue Note has an exceptional line-up! I think that the pre-sale queue is still available for a few more days -- for those not already booked on this year's Blue Note cruise.

Sharke -- are you taking advantage of the opportunity to book your same cabin for the '21 cruise? That will be our first Blue Note -- as we are 'jumping ship' from ECP's Smooth Jazz Cruises.😎

No, we wait till later in the year depending on our travel calendar to decide.  But then again we are not too picky about our cabin placement 😊

22 hours ago, sharke said:

No, we wait till later in the year depending on our travel calendar to decide.  But then again we are not too picky about our cabin placement 😊

Wouldn't put it off too long, Sharke. When I first saw the headliners for the '21 Blue Note at Sea cruise, my immediate thought was: We'd better get into that booking queue, as this one could very easily sell out 'Dave Koz FAST'! (Also, we ARE a tad finicky about our cabins). 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone waiting for open booking to begin on the 2021 Blue Note at Sea should Google their web page, for availability and pricing. It looks like Feb. 10 is the day that booking opens up to the general public. Looks like this one is already booking-up quickly! From what I can see, it looks like all of the suites are already gone. Sad to report -- Sheila E. is no longer listed on the roster of performers. Haven't seen any explanation for that -- but maybe we'll be able to catch her on a future jazz cruise sailing! My DH and I are booked on this one, and looking forward to our first Blue Note cruise!😎

hopefully we will be able to join you on BNAS next year...been a rough past few years health wise and other wise so have not been able to Jazz Cruise or do much posting on CC 

hopefully the success of Rick Braun's European Jazz River Cruises will soon be duplicate in the United States 

have you attended any of Brian Culbertson's Napa or Chicago Jazz Getaway  Weekend  Festivals 

in these terribly divisive political times in Our Country a full charter music cruise is great therapy to bring music fans from diverse backgrounds together for a week of unity & breaking bread together over a late night jam session 

I am a huge Sheila E fan also

Be Blessed and thanks for missing me on these boards

Went to my first BNAS. It was fantastic! All music, all the time. Interviews with the artists, CD signings, multiple concerts,  and BBQ's ...hardly spent anytime in my cabin at all. Usually book verandas/balconies when I cruise but took a chance and booked an oceanview. I found I wasn't in my room long enough to justify a balconey. In fact, I booked an inside cabin for 2021 because it didn't make sense to me to do otherwise.

And yes, a full music charter cruise is great therapy. Everyone's common denominator is the love of music-nothing else mattered!

Hope to see y'all next year!! 

Edited by TuggleRN

My Parents raised us to appreciate all types of music , My Dad played a Gibson Guitar  ( Jazz & Blue Grass & loved to both Scat & Yodel )  and My Mom was a Dancer in the Chorus Line in the 30's at Harlem's Cotton Club  and loved the music of Cab Calloway & His Band)..in their view there was music you turned up the sound on the radio and music when you heard it on the radio you changed radio stations ..I was able to send My Mom on The Jazz Cruise on NCL Norway in the early 90's that feature AFI Tribute to the Big Band Music in the movies 1930's  & 40's and she was in 7th Heaven

when I watched Ken Burns documentary on PBS on  Country Music it brought back why my Dad loved both Country Music (Blue Grass) and Jazz .I'm actually thinking about doing a Country Music Theme Charter Cruise and bring my "Ray Charles Plays Country"  Album for autographs by the newer generation Country Artists 

if one is a regular (normal)  cruiser and goes on a full charter music theme cruise, it's very hard to go back to a regular cruise again, it's very boring IMHO

if you google on You Tube "Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk" and click on "CC" (shows the movie titles) you can have a preview of a future Ultimate Disco Cruise midnight dance contest that you can start practicing for

16 hours ago, TuggleRN said:

Went to my first BNAS. It was fantastic! All music, all the time. Interviews with the artists, CD signings, multiple concerts,  and BBQ's ...hardly spent anytime in my cabin at all. Usually book verandas/balconies when I cruise but took a chance and booked an oceanview. I found I wasn't in my room long enough to justify a balconey. In fact, I booked an inside cabin for 2021 because it didn't make sense to me to do otherwise.

And yes, a full music charter cruise is great therapy. Everyone's common denominator is the love of music-nothing else mattered!

Hope to see y'all next year!! 

We will see you on the 2021 Blue Note at Sea cruise (we're already booked, too!) -- thanks for the positive review! After several (GREAT) Smooth Jazz Cruises, this will be our first Blue-Note cruise. 😎

17 hours ago, hattack said:

hopefully we will be able to join you on BNAS next year...been a rough past few years health wise and other wise so have not been able to Jazz Cruise or do much posting on CC 

hopefully the success of Rick Braun's European Jazz River Cruises will soon be duplicate in the United States 

have you attended any of Brian Culbertson's Napa or Chicago Jazz Getaway  Weekend  Festivals 

in these terribly divisive political times in Our Country a full charter music cruise is great therapy to bring music fans from diverse backgrounds together for a week of unity & breaking bread together over a late night jam session 

I am a huge Sheila E fan also

Be Blessed and thanks for missing me on these boards

Hattack, so sorry to hear of your recent health issues. Would love it if you could join us for BNAS '21!

Sadly, Sheila E was pulled from the BNAS '21 line-up, about a month ago (haven't yet been able to find our why). While I can only hope to see her sometime on a future cruise, the '21 line-up is still fabulous! And, speaking of talent cancellations, I was just crushed to hear that Ramsey Louis and the Urban Knights will not be on our Smooth Jazz Cruise (20.2), next month. Apparently, Mr. Lewis's health took a turn, after his recent performance on the 20.1 SJC sailing. I'm so sad, because I'm pretty sure that was my last chance to see a legend! I'm sure that we will still have a great time on the cruise, though.

And, you are SO right -- there is a Balm in Gilead, and it is MUSIC!

It's so wonderful to hear all of your stories!!!   What a great musical community.

We are booked on the 2021 Jazz Cruise Jan 16-23.  I just (tried) started a Roll Call.

We realized this is going on during the inauguration in 2021.  My husband and i live in bethesda MD and do policy all day, so we think that will be a good time to be out of town no matter what the outcome.