Best Seasickness Cures for Children

Abbie44

We are heading on a cruise in a couple weeks. Our 7-year-old daughter gets carsick, and I'm worried she could experience similar issues on the ship. I'm finding various options--bands, patches, meds--and wondering what seasoned cruisers have found worked best for their kids. I don't want to give her something that will make her tired, as I want her to enjoy the trip. Any help appreciated!

2 hours ago, Kartgv said:

Please ask her pediatrician...don't rely on the advice of strangers who know nothing about your child! Ā Ā 

This.Ā  I wish message boards wouldn't allow anything related to medical advice.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with the previous posters. Consult your child'sĀ  primary physician as soon as possible for their recommendation. I shudder at the thought of someone putting a patch on a child, and many other OTC meds are similarly contraindicated in young children. At the VERY least,Ā  if you can't see her doctor for some reason, consult your pharmacist before buying anything.

• Like 1

When you do ask your family health care provider, ask if something like a ginger candy would be a good first try. Ā  Sometimes kids will take anything if you call it "candy." Ā NOT offering to take this, just to mention it to your HCP. Ā Ā 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mom says said:

consult your pharmacist before buying anything.

I have a ton of medical background and IMO pharmacists are a font of great info.Ā  And in my travels I've found every pharmacy has at least one person who speaks good enough English to help me.

I have had motion sickness since I was a child.Ā  I am worst in cars and some days get sick being in the carĀ for just 30-40 minutes.Ā  Weirdly I do not get sick at all on cruises, maybe something to do with the size of the ship and the stabilizers they have now?Ā  I always take some non-drowsy Dramamine with me anyway just in case.Ā  I would also recommend checking with your child's Dr or a local pharmacist but I know they have children's Dramamine as this is what my parents used to give me for longer car trips.Ā  At the time I don't think they had non-drowsy but I would guess they might now?

First off let me reiterated DON'T follow the advice without consulting your pediatrician.Ā  These are talking points to discuss with the pediatrician not a substitute. Ā 

Ā 

I am assuming from what your wrote, that you do have use drugs on car trips and are looking for alternatives that won't make her sleepy. Ā 

Ā 

Whatever options you are considering using at sea should be thoroughlyĀ  tested at home first.Ā  If she has a negative reaction to an alternate non drowsy version of a drug.Ā  Best that you learn that when 911 will summons an ambulance and not at sea.

Ā 

Likewise ginger candy might work, might not.Ā  (check with your doctor before trying) but better to find out it doesn't when she startsĀ  screaming, "mommy pull over I am about to puke"Ā  and you can pull over than find out when she is at sea and you have no way of stopping the motion. Ā  Likewise with bands. Ā 

Ā 

If nothing works, she might be better off spending a week with a relative or friend. Ā 

• Like 1

Iā€™ve heard that kids get seasick a lot less often than adults. I have bad motion sickness, you wonā€™t find me on a boat, or even a carousel. Iā€™m absolutely fine on cruise ships, but have bonine with me justĀ in case. Ask your pediatrician or pharmacist and have a great cruise!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I did talk to the pediatrician. They said children's dramamine, so I'll take some just in case. Was hoping people had had great success with sea bands, etc, so I wouldn't have to give her any meds. I'll get some to try first before the dramamine should we need it. In the car, she has only gotten sick once and nauseous a couple times, so it isn't a huge problem for her, but I want to be ready just in case. Thank you all again. And thanks to whomever deleted the nasty comment! šŸ˜Š

Edited by Abbie44

I know people who swear by the band. Ā But all of them are adults. Ā If the pediatrician says the bands are safe for kids I would use them first (before she gets sick as prevention) if she starts feeling nauseous then do some combo of ginger candy, Ā flat ginger ale, green apples, plain toast. Ā And then only if that didnā€™t work go for dramamine. Ā 

Ā 

Also of note (once again an adult not a child) I have a friend who is fine if she is vertical (standing or sitting)Ā but gets nauseous if she is horizontal. Ā She doesnā€™t lay out by the pool (she sits) and takes medication before going to bed (i donā€™t know exact product) but it makes her drowsy and she doesnā€™t care....she is going to sleep. Ā Also she says alcohol makes her motion sickness much much worse. Ā (I assume that wonā€™t be an issue with your daughter šŸ˜€). She thinks much of this has to do with dehydration because once she gets thirsty she quickly gets nauseous. Ā So do make sure your daughter is getting adequate water/juice. Ā Also be careful of what she eats. Ā Seven year olds can Ā get themselves nauseous at an unlimited make your own sundae bar on dry land without too much effort. Ā Ā 

Ā 

My point being you might want to take a multi-facet approach. Ā  If you can prevent the problem with bands (even though I think that is 90% placebo effect) that is best. Ā If you can solve it with a little bit of green apple that is better than drugs. Ā If drugs are needed but only occasionally that is better than all the time.

19 hours ago, Abbie44 said:

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I did talk to the pediatrician. They said children's dramamine, so I'll take some just in case. Was hoping people had had great success with sea bands, etc, so I wouldn't have to give her any meds. I'll get some to try first before the dramamine should we need it. In the car, she has only gotten sick once and nauseous a couple times, so it isn't a huge problem for her, but I want to be ready just in case. Thank you all again. And thanks to whomever deleted the nasty comment! šŸ˜Š

Ā 

We've had good success with ginger lozenges and ginger ale for both our kids and me (who thought she'd never be able to cruise without dramamine). The sea bands press on an acupressure point in the wrist, so you could try that with just your fingers to see if she gets any relief. It might be just a placebo, but it's worked for me on several occasions so it might be something you can teach her to try to do herself.