Corfu airport.

We are doing the Adriatic explorer trip on Discovery late august embarking in corfu and was wondering if the airport was still a nightmare?

Any replies with recent updates appreciated.

Edited by Brummijam
grAmmer und spilling?

I don't think anything will be any different in such a small airport when a cruiseshipfull of passengers descend upon it any time of the year.There were probably 8 TUI planes on the tarmac at once.If you have a late flight it might be better.

Edited by brian1

Brian I have flown into and out of Corfu 8 times with no problem except for having to queue twice when checking in Our friends did a cruise from Aqaba to Corfu in April and said it was chaos I'm wanting to know what it was like last Friday from someone who returned from there please

I was there earlier this month. Arriving was bad as there were 4 Tui flights and 2 others all waiting for luggage at the same time, and they changed the carousel in the middle of waiting without putting it on the screens, in fact ours disappeared off the board all together, so people were watching 2 different ones waiting for their cases.

The return journey was much better and this was the one I had been dreading after reading horror stories about it. Yes we had to queue to check in but nothing too bad, and your cases are taken away there - I had read that you had to take them somewhere else.

Once through into the departure lounge there are a choice of new eating places a duty free shop and good toilet facilities. 

This all came as a pleasant surprise as even on the ship we had been issues with a note saying the airport was very basic and  to take snacks with you if you wanted something to eat.

So if you can get your luggage smartly the rest should be fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the replies so far,  It looks like it isn’t getting much better. 🙄

it’s going to be a case of  “make the best of it  theres a holiday  at the end of the day” 😉

We have an evening flight the return journey back home so hoping the day will have sorted itself out by the time we get there.

5 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Lovetoholiday - Thankyou for your informative reply and good wishes

You're welcome and if you go expecting the worst and it turns out fine then it will be a bonus. 

We flew from Doncaster and the flight was great, shorter than expected and once we finally got our luggage and got on to the bus - very busy there - but once a bus is full it's on it's way and it's a short drive to the port. Once at the port they checked us in 1 bus at a time so you might need to sit on the bus for 5 minutes or so but then it's all plain sailing - excuse the pun!

The ship was great, food was good as was the entertainment, absolutely no issues on board.

Enjoy!

Lovetoholiday - thanks I've cruised from Corfu with TUI 4 times so know the procedure and as you say it's a short trip to the port and since they built the new larger check in building it's been easy. I once had an almost 20 hour delay and sat in the departure 'lounge' for 7 hours before being bussed to a hotel for an overnight stay as the aircraft taking us back to Leeds/Bradford had damaged its rudder on landing in Corfu. We were back at the airport at 5.30am the following day - really bad.

When we were there last year the airport was like a building site and I've heard the nice cafe outside has disappeared since although cases are now despatched at check in at long last. We have a very early flight and looking at plane finder this morning a number of TUI flights arrive at lunchtime so I'll explain a delay collecting luggage Just hope departure isn't too bad but that's an early return too I've done this cruise before with hubby on Dream but going with a friend who wants to visit Venice and Kotor so know what to expect

looking forward to some good weather - forecasts for the ports of call its in the 30s so happy with that

We had to line up to check in,then again to put our checked in cases thru xray and then again to go thru passport etc.The lounge had a cafe etc but wasn't big enough at that peak time to be comfortable.Combined with all the land based passengers it was a bit of a nightmare.But other times may not be as bad.We wasn't in the lounge that long before boarding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 12:16 AM, Vitalsign said:

Lovetoholiday - thanks I've cruised from Corfu with TUI 4 times so know the procedure and as you say it's a short trip to the port and since they built the new larger check in building it's been easy. I once had an almost 20 hour delay and sat in the departure 'lounge' for 7 hours before being bussed to a hotel for an overnight stay as the aircraft taking us back to Leeds/Bradford had damaged its rudder on landing in Corfu. We were back at the airport at 5.30am the following day - really bad.

When we were there last year the airport was like a building site and I've heard the nice cafe outside has disappeared since although cases are now despatched at check in at long last. We have a very early flight and looking at plane finder this morning a number of TUI flights arrive at lunchtime so I'll explain a delay collecting luggage Just hope departure isn't too bad but that's an early return too I've done this cruise before with hubby on Dream but going with a friend who wants to visit Venice and Kotor so know what to expect

looking forward to some good weather - forecasts for the ports of call its in the 30s so happy with that

Now you're back,tell us how it was at Corfu.

Corfu airport was no problem at arrivals and not far to coach - just across from the building as usual

departure - four flights all left ship at same time Luton Glasgow Leeds/Bradford and Manchester The first three flights queued outside departures on pavement nearest the road for about half an hour Manchester flight queued on inner side of pavement for just over an hour in 36degree heat - horrendous Small drinks sold on the pavement were €3.60 - daylight robbery but necessary if you haven't taken a drink with you from the ship no queue anymore to scan luggage done at check in thank goodness Passport control and hand luggage scanning moved fairly quickly No time to eat only a quick drink before boarding - be prepared

11 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Corfu airport was no problem at arrivals and not far to coach - just across from the building as usual

departure - four flights all left ship at same time Luton Glasgow Leeds/Bradford and Manchester The first three flights queued outside departures on pavement nearest the road for about half an hour Manchester flight queued on inner side of pavement for just over an hour in 36degree heat - horrendous Small drinks sold on the pavement were €3.60 - daylight robbery but necessary if you haven't taken a drink with you from the ship no queue anymore to scan luggage done at check in thank goodness Passport control and hand luggage scanning moved fairly quickly No time to eat only a quick drink before boarding - be prepared

Thanks for info.We only do an itinerary once,so glad we won't be going there again.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not great.

Arrival was fine.

Departures is not good.

If you are first flight out or last flight out you may have a much better experience.

But  if your flight is about 15:00 be prepared! 

Take water, food and a book, as you will stand and wait and wait and wait.

Took 2 and a Half hours from being dropped off at airport to get checked in, you do not have to double handle your luggage so once checked in they put the luggage on the belt and it’s taken away., this is one of the things that holds up check in, as once the belt is full, the check in staff have to stop as they physically cannot get anymore luggage on the belt and the systems won’t let them move on, until the bags move on!

Once through security it was straight onto the plane, which took off 45 min late due to the back log of passengers at the airport

Just be prepared!!

Its not the best end to your cruise, but it is what it is.

The ship is fantastic so just think of the happy times as your about to lose it at the airport 😀

Thanks both for your replies.

I have a slipped disc giving me jip at the moment so standing in a queue for extended periods isn’t going to be much fun, hence the enquiry’s.

Our return flight isn’t until 20:50  pm so hoping it may have cleared by then

I will just have to park my bum on the floor if it gets too much. 

My other half is saying cancel but I am really looking forward to a couple of weeks in the sun so I will just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the water/food advice 👍

Keep well.😉

Unfortunately the early flights are just as bad as the 3pm one as quoted by Wallis7219 however there are fewer flights later in the day If your flight out is early then be prepared for a long wait for your return flight