Docking locations in Europe

w3mark61

Does anyone know which River Cruise Line has the most center city docking locations? Interested in which line has locations where you can walk off the boat and be in the center of town. Or, do all lines have to transport you via bus from the location to downtown or historical district?  I am guessing with Vikings vast amount of ships that they tie up most of the best docking locations on the Rhine, Moselle and Danube? Thanks.    I am aware that of couple of lines actually have these locations for their brand on their websites.  

Additionally,  have any of you had decent look with any website or company in booking private tours consistently instead of using the ship's free ones? If so , which ones? Cheers. 

Hi.  Your question re: docking locations has been answered in this thread you opened earlier :

As to private tours, they aren't usually recommeded, as the ships can move from one town to another while people are out on tour, and also, times in port are not usually known until the day before as timing depends on going through locks.  The tours for river cruising are quite different from the Ocean ones, where you have headsets to hear the guide through and you don't have to stick overly close.  Also, the tour groups are smaller, the one we had last year with Avalon was an average of 6 - 8 people on it.  The guides are usually local, so really give good info for the towns.

Thanks, that is specifically the kind of information I am seeking. Do you know how many locks are involved going and coming from Basel on Avalon as that is the brand we are planning to travel.  Specifically not on the 14 day cruise but the 7 or 8 day cruise?  Still researching.  Wondering if the recent closed lock due to be closed for several weeks will impact Basel cruise? Cheers. 

If you are going Amsterdam to Basel, it has no impact as it's on the Main Danube Canal.  I can't exactly remember how many locks we went through, only know of 5 or 6, as we went through them either during the daily meeting or while we were eating.  Most sailing is done at night in order to give you the most time in port, so other than the one we stayed up to see how close our boat was to the lock (we were in our room, didn't open the window but it was close!), we didn't really notice any.

As to the water levels, it's a risk either way. The year before our cruise, there was really bad flooding and the boats couldn't sail.  Our cruise was in May, and the water was a little high, however not much.  About 6 weeks after we got home, they were starting to do ship swaps & tour cancelations because the water was to low.  Spring (April) is often high, depending on the snow - this year I think the Danube had a few close calls, and Autumn is often low, depending on how much rain has fallen.