Explorer Specific Questions

A few questions.  We are traveling on the Explorer in two weeks.  

1.   We are interested in the paddle tennis on board.  Do you have to bring your own equipment (paddles, balls)??  Are running shoes okay to play in or to we have to bring non-marking tennis shoes?  Is there a reservation system in place to play?

2.  Men's shoe question.  My husband (47 years old) hates packing too many shoes.  Even more than that, he hates wearing dress shoes.  Can he get away with wearing a hiking shoe to dinner (even at the nicer restaurants) or is it REQUIRED to wear actual leather dress shoes?  Granted, said hiking shoes are basically darker colored, stiffer, more substantial running shoes.  Example of shoes below in photo.  Probably will have similar pants on with a nicer shirt too---he's not much into dressing up.  

IMG_0374.jpg

Allison - I don't think anyone would complain about darker hiking shoes; the policy only specifically mentions 'tennis shoes' - an ambiguous term at best.  It's hard to say from the pic you posted, but my initial thought is that they might be just a bit too casual.  Anything with different colors and/or stripes might be construed as athletic (i.e. tennis) shoes.

I usually take some loafers or Sperry boat shoes - they're light and comfortable and I've even worn them in the evening (gasp!) without socks!  :classic_biggrin:  Frankly I don't think they have 'shoe police' checking but that's going to be his call.  I'm also a casual dresser for the most part but I tend to bring too many shoes with me so I'm probably not the best person to ask...

eeewwww....no socks?

But to the OP - it would definitely be a good idea to follow Bill's lead, and perhaps bring along a second pair of hikers in the event the first pair gets soaked or suffers a blowout.

Just FYI from a Regent website about men's footware.  Interpret it as you wish:

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. 

To the OP: Do you and your husband ever go to dinner to a nice restaurant, one where people will wear something more stylish? If so, does your husband wear his sneakers/ hiking shoes to that? I think anybody that is a professional ( as you indicate in another post about your husband) would know what's the appropriate thing to wear to a nice restaurant for dinner. Not sure why people want to push the envelope on this.

I took it to mean the outdoor paddle tennis courts on the aft decks.  I think pickleball is the closest name, it's definitely not ping-pong.  Here's a link I found:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seven-seas-explorer-998/paddle-tennis-court-298984/

That's my guess...and if so, I'm pretty sure they have paddles and balls.  Normal athletic shoes should be fine.

You do not need to bring paddles, they will have paddles and balls available. We were not required to wear tennis shoes (here I mean ACTUAL tennis shoes which are non-marking), but could wear running shoes (though if you have weak ankles, running shoes are not very stable when playing paddle - it sounds like you play so you know that already). I do not recall a reservation system, but I only recall waiting 2 times to play.

I have to say playing paddle was one of the more fun things we did on the ship. It is glorious to be outside with the incredible views we had playing a rigorous game of paddle! Enjoy it!

Edited by LynnRuns
  • Like 1

Just played paddle ball on the Voyager.  Certainly wear sneakers but nothing specific is noted around the court about what to wear.    Paddles and balls are provided.  No waitlists were offered or on this cruise needed.   I do think on the daily schedules they may have an organized time, if people want to get together for a game.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Perhaps the OP is thinking pickle Ball?  

Pickle ball and Paddle tennis (sometimes called Platform tennis) are two different things.  The marketing information calls it a "paddle court." Based on replies, it looks like it is mostly used as a pickleball court.  Anything will be fun--just wanted to be prepared if I needed to bring a specific type of shoes.

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I took it to mean the outdoor paddle tennis courts on the aft decks.  I think pickleball is the closest name, it's definitely not ping-pong.  Here's a link I found:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/seven-seas-explorer-998/paddle-tennis-court-298984/

That's my guess...and if so, I'm pretty sure they have paddles and balls.  Normal athletic shoes should be fine.

Thanks! Photos definitely look like Pickleball.  I've never played but am looking forward to trying it!

29 minutes ago, allison12 said:

Pickle ball and Paddle tennis (sometimes called Platform tennis) are two different things.  The marketing information calls it a "paddle court." Based on replies, it looks like it is mostly used as a pickleball court.  Anything will be fun--just wanted to be prepared if I needed to bring a specific type of shoes.

Hi, based on this article, it looks like the courts may be used for either pickle ball or paddle tennis.

http://www.latecruisenews.com/2016/12/16/first-board-pickleball-court-launched-regent-seven-seas-cruise-ship/

“The installation, by Adventure Golf Services, took place in a Genoa, Italy shipyard and included a combination court for two sports: Pickleball and Paddle Tennis”, according to Scott Lundmark, president of Adventure Golf.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, UUNetBill said:

I usually take some loafers or Sperry boat shoes - they're light and comfortable and I've even worn them in the evening (gasp!) without socks!  :classic_biggrin:  

Of course!!   topsiders= no socks!!

On 6/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, UUNetBill said:

I usually take some loafers or Sperry boat shoes - they're light and comfortable and I've even worn them in the evening (gasp!) without socks!  :classic_biggrin:  Frankly I don't think they have 'shoe police' checking but that's going to be his call.  I'm also a casual dresser for the most part but I tend to bring too many shoes with me so I'm probably not the best person to ask...

If you and I were onboard together, I would make a point to be the 'shoe police'😇Seriously, I had no idea what the game was (what kind of a name is Pickle Ball?). In my opinion, it is difficult, if not impossible to play some games on a moving ship.  My DH and I tried golf and laughed through the whole thing since nothing was going where it was suppose to go.

On the other hand, I think that the TS (Thread Starter) is more interested in how you can dress at the lowest possible level that is acceptable on Regent.  I sort of "get" that way of thinking, however, if one goes on a luxury cruise line, it is not unusual to expect a certain level of dress (during the evening - not during the day).  On this topic, I agree with cruiseluv!

No snark needed!   It was an honest question about shoes. We have never been on a cruise (maybe for fear of the "shoe police").  We are totally fine obeying the rules..."tennis shoes" is a little vague in today's society.  Rothy's are some of my favorite shoes ever...but they probably considered "tennis shoes". I would wear them to very nice restaurants in the summertime. Of course, jeans are the norm in nice restaurants now too.   Again, we are rule followers...hence the question.  

My husband is spending two weeks with his in-laws for their 50th anniversary.  I hope my two daughter's marry men willing to do the same when I am 70 years old.   Don't worry.  He'll pack some loafers. 

And, pickle ball is a dumb name for a really fun game!  It's like mini-tennis with a wiffle ball.

14 hours ago, allison12 said:

No snark needed!   It was an honest question about shoes. We have never been on a cruise (maybe for fear of the "shoe police").  We are totally fine obeying the rules..."tennis shoes" is a little vague in today's society.  Rothy's are some of my favorite shoes ever...but they probably considered "tennis shoes". I would wear them to very nice restaurants in the summertime. Of course, jeans are the norm in nice restaurants now too.   Again, we are rule followers...hence the question.  

My husband is spending two weeks with his in-laws for their 50th anniversary.  I hope my two daughter's marry men willing to do the same when I am 70 years old.   Don't worry.  He'll pack some loafers. 

And, pickle ball is a dumb name for a really fun game!  It's like mini-tennis with a wiffle ball.

The notion that people are interested in meeting the lowest possible acceptable level has been stated before. It’s a head shaker because no one would be even thinking something like that! We found all kinds of styles on our first Regent Cruise and very little interest in what others were wearing. While we did abide by the letter of the law, we saw many examples of technical infractions. Some people are more casual than others, just that simple. Perhaps it’s an age thing?

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

The notion that people are interested in meeting the lowest possible acceptable level has been stated before. It’s a head shaker because no one would be even thinking something like that! We found all kinds of styles on our first Regent Cruise and very little interest in what others were wearing. While we did abide by the letter of the law, we saw many examples of technical infractions. Some people are more casual than others, just that simple. Perhaps it’s an age thing?

There are people that simply do not want to dress up and I did not criticize that.  My comment about meeting the lowest possible acceptable level is due to the many cruises that we have taken on Regent - both before and after the dress code change a few years ago.  Many of the posters at that time feared that people could dress at the minimum level but the majority of us voted for the less stringent dress code despite that.  So, there were a lot of people that gave this a lot of thought - many of whom are still Regent cruisers.  

Do not feel that it is age thing as we have seen many younger adults on Regent that dress beautifully (and seem to enjoy dressing up).  How we dress at home (or how we have been brought up) does play into it.  People in the U.K. still dress up more than people in the U.S. (and people in some parts of the U.S. dress dramatically more formally than in other parts of the U.S.).

I'm glad that the TS asked the question

In any case, let's not turn this into a dress code thread.  This is one of the few times anyone has asked about men's shoes at night (note:  for disabled persons, there is quite a lot of leeway in this area which I am all for). 

In terms of packing shoes, there are companies that make super light weight shoes for both men and women.  

My husband and I pack 2 pairs of shoes each and we are wearing another pair.  He usually has “dress” shoes (leather), workout shoes, and depending on type of cruise waterproof hiking shoe or sandals.  I take my black flat dress shoes, tennis shoes, and either sandals or sturdier excursion shoes.  So, we will have 3 pair a piece on ship. I’m telling you this detail only to give example of how we handle our shoe packing.  Hope it is helpful. 

Man, I remember I had a pair of super lightweight black leather loafers but I can't recall the brand.  I think they finally died on me but I wish I'd have bought another pair - they were light, easy to pack, super comfortable, and looked with slacks and jeans - quite possibly the perfect 'Regent shoe'.  

Honestly, I think anything leather that doesn't have a lot of stripes and whatnot would be fine.  Just be thankful it's not the '70s when men's shoes were about a foot high and weighed 18 lbs a pair...of course, that was the only decade where I was 6' 5" tall, so I guess there's that...

23 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

My husband and I pack 2 pairs of shoes each and we are wearing another pair.  He usually has “dress” shoes (leather), workout shoes, and depending on type of cruise waterproof hiking shoe or sandals.  I take my black flat dress shoes, tennis shoes, and either sandals or sturdier excursion shoes.  So, we will have 3 pair a piece on ship. I’m telling you this detail only to give example of how we handle our shoe packing.  Hope it is helpful. 

My wife calls me "Billmelda Marcos".  I take WAY too many shoes on a cruise...and I wear 'em all.   :classic_biggrin:

Please stop talking about limiting shoes! I have told my husband Regent requires women to have heels, sandals, flats, tennis shoes, water shoes, hiking shoes and in in multiple colors. I have bought 10 new pairs to get ready for this trip😉. Just kidding, I just want to see him keel over when he reads this.

Seriously, my husband wears very comfortable shoes at night. He  will wear his light weight, quality leather slip on Spanish Pikolino shoes from Zappos. He owns them in black and brown. He will also bring his Sperrys. That will cover his evenings on a whole world cruise. Of course his tennis shoes will work for dinner by the pool.